Matai left out

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
The muppets selecting the Kiwis have left out Matai from the training squad, what a joke !!! Form not upto it apparently lol

Whare and Foran made the squad

Good. He needs the time to completely get over what he has...Foran played busted the last month as well.

He is injured. But let's face it, he has let his teammates down many times this season by tackling too high.
He would be more effective going around the midrift than the shoulders.

The Who said:
He is injured. But let's face it, he has let his teammates down many times this season by tackling too high.
He would be more effective going around the midrift than the shoulders.

Bit melodramatic !! 2 small suspensions wasn't it ?

As a Kiwi it disappoints me Matai has been snubbed the last couple years. I do realize his judiciary record counts against him and he has been injured as well. However the experience as well as his aggressive nature and enforcer role are perfect for International football. Also if I go to war against another country I want a guy who will put his body on the line and fight till the end. Stevie is a very underrated player and deserves more credit than he gets. It is probably good that he was left out of the current squad so he can rest up and recover from his injuries.

I admire Matai & he's my son's fav player, but his last game was the worst game I have seen him play for Manly. Period. I followed Chambers in Union, and he's good. But he brushed matai twice easily in a must win game. Every tackle counted and his effort didnt.

Compared to the defensive effort the week before at centre by Whare against the cowboys, Matais effort against melbourne was awful. Would have hooked him and put Trex wide, both of them out there was hard to watch. Can understand him missing out, based on form.

You're basing his form on that 1 game, where he played the match with an injured leg picked up early and we had no centre cover ?

Every NZ international he plays risks huge suspensions counted against Manly games (remember the Gasnier tackle?).

But his suspensions when playing Manly games are never applied against NZ internationals played during the suspension timespan.

Manly loses both ways. Better he never plays an international again.

Yeah, prolly a bit harsh but I've grown to expect alot from him. That miss on Chambers was just so unlike him and I thought he was completely outplayed by Inu against the Dogs. His rush defence is a worry and is hit or miss.

Inu is ahead of him on form, was Hurrell/Kenny Dowell picked in the Kiwi Squad?

and Yes, Coaching error to leave him out there. Trex would have been a better option, at least he would of HAD to run.

I completely understand why he was left out. He's ill disciplined.
I still heart him though.

I could not believe it when i saw he wasnt named.

For me this years top 3 centres

Lyon
Morris
Matai

Surely he has pulled out for surgery or somefhing!

He risks becoming the next Matthew Ridge or John Hopoate. So intense on the field whilst under intense scrutiny, that it leads to an on-field indiscretion that will end his career.

I know he was injured early on the other night, but he always seems to be injured or suspended these days - or at risk of both. I hope we don't have cause to regret the loss of Whare in coming seasons.

bob dylan said:
Good.

He is the second best centre in he game.

I agree. I do think Morris was the 2nd best centre this year though. Only just. But Matai > everyone else but Lyon.

Evo said:
I followed Chambers in Union, and he's good. But he brushed matai twice easily in a must win game. Every tackle counted and his effort didnt.

I think you'll find Matai sprained his knee and could hardly walk, neverlone run.

I think Matai has been playing injured for a long time this season but he does for most of the season, with some nerves that cause burns. They're not long term injuries, but temporary. Irritants that he can play with but will hamper him each season for a few games off (excluding suspensions of course).

In the final, last week, he was severly hampered and you can't blame him for Chambers running around him.

If you have ever had a corked thigh (I have on many occasions) you know what it's like. It's like someone has just punched your leg in it's most tempremental part. Every time you try to step off it, you don't go anywhere! It basically collapses!

If you watch the replay of when Chambers ran around him, that's what happened to Steve. He had no speed and his leg just gave away.

That they haven't selected him has two advantages:
1) He won't be playing against the Australians (those who declare their allegiance to New Zealand rather than the somewhat Australians... well I want to play State of Origin and earn $50,000 a game, so I am Australian but am I NSW or Qld? F...ck yeah, let me find a way to be Qld!

2) He'll have a rest for 6 weeks until they start pre season training again so he'll be better off, relaxed and hopefully, the neck nerve burns will have had more time to recover.

This year I can't remember too many occasions when Skivy's gone down with neck of shoulder burns. So... hopefully less injuries and he goes low and up like Randall used to to crach the ribs and of course with less suspensions.

Evo said:
I admire Matai & he's my son's fav player, but his last game was the worst game I have seen him play for Manly. Period. I followed Chambers in Union, and he's good. But he brushed matai twice easily in a must win game. Every tackle counted and his effort didnt.

Compared to the defensive effort the week before at centre by Whare against the cowboys, Matais effort against melbourne was awful. Would have hooked him and put Trex wide, both of them out there was hard to watch. Can understand him missing out, based on form.

You cannot be serious surely?! He could hardly walk let alone run. And if the answer is "well he should not have been out there", we had no choice. How he even played on is deserving of a serious medal.

You guys are ****ing stupid if you think Matai showed anything other than a Phar Lap sized heart on friday night. He obviously was not good and played on anyway.

Class of 95 said:
Evo said:

You cannot be serious surely?! He could hardly walk let alone run. And if the answer is "well he should not have been out there", we had no choice. How he even played on is deserving of a serious medal.

Tool.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4