• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Pre season, probably the most maligned player on this site

Am interested in the thoughts of those people now (not as i told you so or anything like that, but genuinely what you are feeling about him)

Has strung together 12-13 games now so that is a far enough sample to see what he is offering us on the park, and how his game is holding up to the NRL

So, thoughts on how he is going now, and also how far you think he could go

On the 2nd part of that, i beleive that he can develop enough to be the level just below the true superstar centres.

Runs hard, has good footwork, developing some offloading and passing skills, hits hard, and is generally reading the play far better these days

I still have mixed feelings

- He puts on great hits, but when he misses it costs us
- When they come off they generally work

- Needs to learn when to put the big hits on
- Needs to make sure he connects

I think overall my opinion of him has risen but I still have some issues.

Overall there are other people I would sooner remove from the team which I guess is a positive

I have been a strong supporter of the guy ever since that game in Canberra in 2005 when he put one on Ben Cross's chin. He packs so much aggression and over the last couple of seasons it had times made him a liabilty. He is much more controlled and professional nowaday and it is no wonder that teams target bell's side of the field rather than the left flank.

While he doesnt score all that many he is fast becoming a strong attacking option and the service he gives robertson is getting better and better.

I am certain that Gaz went to France so he didnt have to face Matai again in the world cup at the end of the year.

The coaching staff are doing well with him.

To me, its always been a case of does his positives compensate for his 3 weaknesses ? 1) racing out of the defensive line 2)the brain snap penalties 3)his seemingly perpetual injury prone nature.

This year he seems to have improved in 2 & 1.

I will tell you one thing. He was better positioned & missed less tackles than Steve Bell yesterday.

I agree with Dan and Jatz.  I have been one of his critics over the past couple of seasons but overall his game has improved.  He was quiet yesterday but then again, he wasn't the worst on the field by any stretch.  Not a superstar but on the improve.   

Interesting fellas, Cheers

Think he is still only 23 or so, he has so much improvement left in him imo

1 thing i have noticed over the past 2-3 years is that the people that this site get into generally have big years after that LOL

If we look at the form over the past 2-3 years of Monaghan, King, Matai and Watmough, it proves that

I still dont think King is anything but average!

Watmough use o be a ball hog.

What I have noticed is we get into them and notice things that the coaching staff have already noticed and work to fix those.

I was a bit down on him after the Dragons game as I think that his late, undisciplined hit on Soward probably cost us the game. They got field position and scored the match-winning try moments later.

BUT

Since then he has made every post a winner. When he first came into first grade he struggled to draw and pass but is now capable of quick passing under pressure.
His try against the Raiders when he stepped past a few of them took me by surprise and I am not sure why he doesn't try this more often, rather than just using himself as a battering ram.
Can you imagine how good he would be if he was 10cm taller and 15kg heavier? He would be the most feared forward in the game!!!

When he was in the team in 2005 he was way too raw. He had barely no impact in attack or defense, his game against Tahu in the finals against parramatta was embarrassing.
I couldn't believe that Des opted for him ahead of Ash Alberts at the start of 06'.

Then its like he had an epiphany of skills which he unleashed one game against the Dragons at brookie, and hasn't looked back since. Was our best on field in the grand final.
He would be in the top 5 centres in the game at the moment.

He isn't what you'd call a superstar, but he is an adequate NRL standard centre. Always feel like he is a struck match off doing something stupid, but that is the double edged sword that is aggressiveness. As noted above when his defence works it really gives us a lift, but when it goes wrong it is generally horribly wrong. Having said that it seems he has been more prudent with his big hit making decisions this season.

Attack wise he doesn't strike fear in the heart of oppositions I would imagine, but he runs hard and can get a pass away occassionally. He does do a lot of good work out of dummy half and always gets metres.

At this stage of the season I'd have him ahead of Bell if I had to choose. There should be more improvement in him but I don't think he'll ever go down as one of the great attacking centres. He could get to the level of Paul Whatuira given time and effort, as they play a similar style.

Dan link said:
I still dont think King is anything but average!

Watmough use o be a ball hog.

What I have noticed is we get into them and notice things that the coaching staff have already noticed and work to fix those.

I always have my heart in my mouth whenever Watmough has the ball!!

I have always been a supporter. As stated above, there arent many coaches that send their attack down his side of the field.

I'm starting to quite like Matai. I agree that at times he misses big hits or rushes in and leaves a gap - but if he could work on his defensive in regards to positioning then that would be fine.

In attack - I'm really impressed. He seems to often break tackles - and his work out of dummy half is really good.

hes improved in alot of aspects in his game.. especially less penalties.. but still gets caught out against a decent centre when he rushes up.. but even that is happening alot less.

My major criticism of him has been that for a back you rarely see him in space and he rarely makes a break.

This has not been a valid criticism in recent weeks.  He's cut through a few times and showed more toe than I thought he had.

Otherwise Dan's assessment sums it up for me.  I do wish he'd become a bit more selective with his rushing up out of the line. 

I love what he brings to the team: aggression and heart. I also think his skills have improved dramatically in attack. He can pass, has a neat step, and is generally a very good centre. As for his perceived deficiency in defence (ie, running out of the line), I haven't really seen him do too much of that this year except for when there's already an overlap and it's his best chance of stifling the play. Sometimes he has to run out of the line.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Pre season, probably the most maligned player on this site

Am interested in the thoughts of those people now (not as i told you so or anything like that, but genuinely what you are feeling about him)

Has strung together 12-13 games now so that is a far enough sample to see what he is offering us on the park, and how his game is holding up to the NRL

So, thoughts on how he is going now, and also how far you think he could go

On the 2nd part of that, i beleive that he can develop enough to be the level just below the true superstar centres.

Runs hard, has good footwork, developing some offloading and passing skills, hits hard, and is generally reading the play far better these days
we cant win the comp without him
and im not he only one who believes that

He had a pretty ordinary game in defence on Sunday and was caught out numerous times. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7