Mateo Madness

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Loobs

Living in the demountable.
Double hit of Feleti

From the Daily
Sea Eagles star Feleti Mateo reveals he is staying at the club for 2016

SEA Eagles playmaker Feleti Mateo has received a boost on the eve of his 200th NRL game on Sunday against Parramatta at Brookvale revealing he will be at the club next season.

He was one of the players who reportedly was told to look elsewhere even though he still had a year to run on his contract as the club moves in a new direction for 2016.

“I have had word that they want me to stay so that is a positive thing for me,” Mateo said.

“There were some rumours but I’ve had the earmuffs on and haven’t really worried about that,” he said.

After starting the season well but had a setback with an injury. And he has become a key figure in the club’s charge to the finals.

Players with Mateo’s silken ballskills are few and far between in the NRL today.

“I knew if I got healthy I could put some good footy together and that’s what I think I have done,” he said.

Mateo, who has previously played with Parramatta, the London Broncos and the Warriors being bounced around like a yoyo has pretty much been the story of his career.

“But that’s just part of footy I guess, it’s performance based and that’s what people expect,” he said.

Mateo, who made his NRL debut with the Eels in 2004, credited his family for always believing in him as he approaches his 200 game milestone and he wants to get a win for them.

And he admitted at times he hasn’t always been as consistent as he would like to be.

“That’s what I hope I can put forward for the rest of my career and not be known as a guy that didn’t fulfil his potential consistently.”

He said the team knows they have a lot to work on of they are to make the top eight but the mood was positive.

AND FROM SMH:

Manly Sea Eagles now want Feleti Mateo to stay: 'I've been bouncing around like yo-yo'

Feleti Mateo will play his 200th NRL game on Sunday. Manly, after initially thinking otherwise, are now happy for him to add to that tally at the club.

"I've had word they want me to stay," Mateo said. "That's a positive thing for me."

Mateo was initially one of the "unwanted 14", a list of players deemed surplus to requirements at on the northern beaches. The journeyman playmaker was one of the contracted variety tapped on the shoulder but never had any intention of moving on.

After producing some of his best form during the Sea Eagles' four-game winning streak, management has had a change of heart. The club has told the former Eels and Warriors star, through his agent, that he will see out the final year of his contract. "To know that I'm wanted is really nice," he said. I'm looking forward to my future."

It is the latest twist in a career that started in the western suburbs, took him to England - then-Eels coach Brian Smith loaned him to the London Broncos - and resulted in Mateo joining Manly 10 years after they initially tried to poach him from this weekend's opponent, Parramatta.

"That's been the story of my career," he said. "I've been bouncing around like a yo-yo. That's part of footy, I guess. It's performance based and you've just got to keep going good."

Mateo admitted that, when shipped off to England at the age of 21, he thought he was no chance of reaching the 200-game milestone. If there has been a criticism during his initial 199 appearances, it's that he hasn't quite made the most of his talent.

"That's what I hope I can put forward for the rest of my career, not be known as the guy who didn't fulfil my potential consistently," he said.

The 30-year-old will mark the occasion against former club Parramatta. The Brookvale Oval encounter will mark a new Manly initiative called Golden Eagles, modelled on the Old Boys Day tradition made famous at Newcastle. One of the former players involved, former forward Wayne Springall, was involved in the club's 1978 premiership victory. Springall has been unimpressed with how the Sea Eagles have treated one of their most revered old boys, coach Geoff Toovey.

"Personally, I think Geoff Toovey has done a magnificent job," Springall said. "I don't know what more a coach can do than getting into the finals every year. Hopefully they can get into the semifinals this year, which I think they will. It's going to be very embarrassing for the club if they get to the grand final and get rid of their coach. I think Trent Barrett will do a very good job. He's a lovely guy, I know him and he will do a very good job. But the way it has all gone has left a sour taste in my mouth."

Willie next ?
No chance I reckon. Willie took a while to get going, and at his age he will give you less next year than what we got. And with a reduced interchange is that something we want? Hopefully Jake T, Myles and *groan* Lussick get the job done up front.

Two months ago I was more than happy to see the back of Mateo but the last 5-6 matches has played very well. Looks like he has trimmed up and I'm happy he is staying if he continues the good run of form. Happy he has proven me wrong.

I'm off to wipe egg off my face...

I think the decision to let him go was way premature. He's doing fine and now match fit and a great asset for the team. This weekend he will be desperate to.shred the whinging worms trust me!

I've said this before but how do we even know that Weidler and the 14 wasn't just bull****? Obviously some guys were tapped but the 14 could have just been pulled out of his arse.

Even if the 14 was true.....what better way to get blokes to lift their game.

Ballin and Mateo have both been very impressive since this bullsht rumour came about.

What about Gifty in his day ?
Better defensively obviously but my logic there is that when both have been shifted to 5/8, Mateo has been more impressive. I always thought our attack flattened out when Gift had to play in the halves.

Here's a question - could Gift have snapped that pass to JSL last weekend?

"That's what I hope I can put forward for the rest of my career, not be known as the guy who didn't fulfil my potential consistently," he said.

Maybe it's starting to sink in for Feleti. Hopefully for our sake it is.

I wish he would be more selective when he is going to offload. We don't need to score if every play. He needs to be more patient.

Somebody here mentioned an issue that people in the team/club have with Mateo is his training workrate/attitude/attendance. If that doesn't change he's always going to be down the list that little bit extra.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4