Matt Ballin could be the next Sea Eagles favourite forced out of Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
/Adrian Proszenko - SMH - 07/03/15

1425713101168.jpg

Popular face: Matt Ballin in action against the Eels on Friday night. Photo: Getty Images

Manly face the prospect of losing another of their favourite sons amid fears loyal stalwart Matt Ballin may be forced out of the embattled club.

Fairfax Media can reveal the Sea Eagles have expressed interest in Brisbane hooker Andrew McCullough for the next season. McCullough was close to recommitting to the Broncos but is now considering a lucrative shift south.

The Sea Eagles are still reeling from Daly Cherry-Evans' decision to take up a huge four-year deal with the Titans and are bracing for the likely departure of fellow international half Kieran Foran to Parramatta.

Ballin, off contract at the end of the season, is one of the most popular players on the northern beaches. The 31-year-old, who has played one State of Origin game for Queensland, had been hoping for one last Manly contract that would enable him to finish as a one-club man.

While negotiations had begun to retain him, it is understood the Sea Eagles put them on the backburner during the past week as they gauged McCullough's interest.

Ballin is just five games short of breaking the 200 mark and his potential departure will be a bitter pill for frustrated Manly fans.

The Sea Eagles were hammered 42-12 by arch rivals Parramatta at Pirtek Stadium and injuries to key players will leave them again understrength for Saturday night's clash with Melbourne at Brookvale.

Promising back Clint Gutherson's season is over following confirmation he ruptured his ACL, while scans revealed Foran suffered a slight hamstring tear. The pivot's return date will become clearer in coming days but he is expected to miss at least a month of football.

Manly powerbrokers were already coming up with contingency plans before they pulled Cherry-Evans' deal from the table. Trent Hodkinson is one of their targets, although Cronulla have also expressed interest in the Canterbury and NSW halfback. Gold Coast duo Aidan Sezer and NYC teammate Kane Elgey are also on a shortlist.

Sea Eagles owners and management are under pressure following a tumultuous off-season that resulted in the loss of key personnel and tension with coach Geoff Toovey.

Manly chief executive officer Joe Kelly has backed Toovey to see out the final two years of his contract but the pair clearly weren't on the same page in negotiations to retain Cherry-Evans.

Toovey was blindsided during a television appearance when told the club's offer had been pulled from the table. The incident followed a clash over Kelly's push to sign Luke Burgess from South Sydney.

After taking over from Des Hasler in difficult circumstances, Toovey has compiled an excellent record as head coach and has a winning percentage of 59 per cent. But it is understood there are factions trying to destabilise him at the club.

Asked if he felt sufficiently supported by management, a diplomatic Toovey told Triple M's Deadset Legends: "Yeah, definitely. I'm a man to stand on my own two feet as well. I think the results over the last three years speak volumes about that.

"I think we will have a successful year this year. Not a great start obviously, with injuries and Cherry-Evans going to the Gold Coast, but at least that's one thing settled. We can focus now on the football."

While disappointed about losing his gun halfback, Toovey believed the club could overhaul its roster.

"It opens up some opportunities to fill that position and also some other resources to other areas we need to focus on as well," he said.

"It's not all bad news but it will take a bit of time. We've got all year to do it so that's one positive."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rite-forced-out-of-manly-20150307-13xyz1.html

I was 99% sure he'd already sorted an extension or whatever..

Otherwise that an entire article is just a rehash of the last few days of articles..

Ef me drunk. Is the media ever going to let up? (I know stupid question) Matty just posted on twitter the other day on how much he loves it here at Manly and then these putrid excuses for journalist's keep this ****e going. I gotta stop reading this stuff. It's like a vortex that I can't get out of. Seriously depressing.

Garbage, definitely just looking for a rumour to fill the void until Foz announces his decision.

Yeah, this is complete garbage in my opinion. Matt loves the Sea Eagles. He looks fit as always. He's a class above most other Hookers in the game. He's a true leader and sets the example.

Even IF this was the case, what about Jayden Hodges? He showed a lot of spirit when he played?

Unless Matty B retires, I can only see Manly offering him another contract if he chooses to play on.

I think I'm starting to get it now guys and girls. These papers have to be just full of crap ! And I admit I give them way too much credence.

I thought Matt Ballin has stated somewhere that he was retiring at the end of this current contract? I cannot remember where I saw this, but I am certain I did.

If we could get Cameron Smith you could shove that so far up your backside it wouldn't be funny. I want Matt Ballin here! Quality player, and quality ambassador at the club. In the current climate we need more of these stabilizing players, not less.

Bloody Matai has used up all our cap! He's been sneaking under the radar all this time!!!

That's pretty clever of him actually. I bet he was telling Foz how good he'd look in yellow and blue in the sheds the other night.

@;)

I thought Matt Ballin has stated somewhere that he was retiring at the end of this current contract? I cannot remember where I saw this, but I am certain I did.

If we could get Cameron Smith you could shove that so far up your backside it wouldn't be funny. I want Matt Ballin here! Quality player, and quality ambassador at the club. In the current climate we need more of these stabilizing players, not less.

Cameron Smith?? You wash your mouth out young man!!

McCullough manager drumming up interest me thinks. Manly suddenly with cap room will be linked with everyone

We're already linked with everyone!! Can't wait for the "Sea Eagles linked to Wayne Bennett, Toovey under pressure" headlines..

People, including me, keep claiming the issues going on at Manly are garbage but unfortunately most of it has been on the money. The reporting about tbe dysfunctional Board, the resentment of DCE by Choc and other players etc etc has all played out. So I'm not ruling anything out now. By the way, how come Zorba's so quiet these days? He claimed that the Quantum Board faction was the root problem but they're gone now and things are still rancid under Zorba's mob/ family clan. I'm not friggin happy at what's happening to my club!

He's so criminally underrated it baffles me.
Usually I read articles with a bit of "95% probably not true, 5% maybe it is" but I am sure this is 100% utter bull****. If anybody at Manly even suggested this as a joke they need to be fired and banned immediately.
He deserves a 10 year contract purely for what he did to Watmough on Friday night. Legend. Here's hoping he continues to work with Manly for many years after he retires. Here's hoping he doesn't retire for another 2-3 seasons.

He's so criminally underrated it baffles me.
Usually I read articles with a bit of "95% probably not true, 5% maybe it is" but I am sure this is 100% utter bull****. If anybody at Manly even suggested this as a joke they need to be fired and banned immediately.
He deserves a 10 year contract purely for what he did to Watmough on Friday night. Legend. Here's hoping he continues to work with Manly for many years after he retires. Here's hoping he doesn't retire for another 2-3 seasons.

Steven Bell was like that, too.

The media certainly are relentless. It's almost criminal and certainly a weak attempt at 'bullying.'

If only I considered they had a brain cell between them, an ounce of integrity, or even a tad less cowardice, I'd probably care about what they wrote.

*oh yeah but ge you took the time to post so you obv do care* - every internet troll ever

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2