Matt Ballin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Among a host of great players today, this guy, to me, was inspirational. He doesn't get noticed like T-Rex, Choc or Jamie, but he really holds us together. There was a 20-minute period when we eased off and Easts scored three tries, but Matt was still doing the tackling share of two men. With most breaks he was backing up, and created a try with a kick and chase late in the match.
I am sure his stats will bear out his performances. Yet Channel Nein gave the award to T-Rex, who was terrific, but primarily because he stands out so much. I think Matt is overlooked by non-Manly fans, and commentators, and he must stay a Sea Eagle.

Two kicks for tries old Matty ballin. Ond of our best ever hookers

He needs to keep that little grubber kick close to the tryline in his game...if he has that in his bag of tricks, it will create more room on the outside for guys like Foz and DCE. Great game from him today!

Matty was fantastic today. The guy is a hero game in, game out.

Felt he played more of a play makers role today, and i really liked what i saw.

Its a shame that he has played through the era same as smith.

Perry hurry up and go get ballin a contract..:)

He is my favorite player. HE would be a walkup start in any QLD SOO side with the exception of the current one.

Class on and off the field.

Awesome to see others appreciating him.

He played so well that if I am not mistaken the commentators on ABC (not reliable in most circumstances) called DCE as the kicker for the final try and not Ballin - thats how good a kick it was

voicefromthehill said:
He played so well that if I am not mistaken the commentators on ABC (not reliable in most circumstances) called DCE as the kicker for the final try and not Ballin - thats how good a kick it was

There were two kicks, I think, DCE first and then Matt.

The Who said:
voicefromthehill said:

There were two kicks, I think, DCE first and then Matt.

No DCE was off - Foran was probably the man in question for the first kick

I don't understand why we don't see that creativity from him more often. He's obviously capable given todays performance, just don't know why he doesn't back himself. That's one part of his game that just holds him back from the real top level IMO.

I agree C&C.

He plays like that the difference between him and smith s minimal.

Great club man, on and off the field.....fantastic family as well...hope he spends his entire career in Manly colours.

Ballin does all the unnoticed dirty work, the stuff that has to get done. This is how Choc has been playing in recent months too until yesterday, nothing brilliant but doing all the hard hit ups off our line after kicks down field etc. Ballin cleans up the ruck area brilliantly, gives great service and occasionally adds some nice touches

i don't remember how my namesake was in defence, but Matty still isn't no Mal Cochrane.

Chip and Chase said:
I don't understand why we don't see that creativity from him more often. He's obviously capable given todays performance, just don't know why he doesn't back himself. That's one part of his game that just holds him back from the real top level IMO.

It may have to do with the quality of the defence. Easts have big, lumbering forwards who were shown up by Choc and Matt close to the ruck. The previous week, Melbourne were much tighter.
There are certain teams with loose forward defence: Canberra, Parra and to an extent the Tigers. Others will extremely tight forward defence: Illawarra being a good example.
Even when he's not sniping he's valuable in holding our defence is order.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8