Matt Ballin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
G

Interesting to see that ballin picked up both the players player and best and fairest in premier league this year.

When is dessie going to put him in first grade? Surely he has to come off the bench this year instead of Dunley? Cuthbo also off the bench as a BK replacement.

I agree tookey, Desmond needs to give Ballin a crack next year. He surely can't be any worse than Dunley. The only reason i can come up with as to why he hasn't had a run in top grade yet is that there are no photos of him on Des's wall!!

If 07 doesn't present with some creative team changes ,then I swear I'll start bagging Des Hasler, something I've been loath to do.

If 07 doesn't present with some creative team changes ,then I swear I'll start bagging Des Hasler, something I've been loath to do.

Its a given that there will be changes. But what are the creative changes you mean/want to see ?

Byso might just join you on that band wagon too

id love to see Ballin get a go.
Ive never seen him play and judging by all the praise he has copped from you guys , he sounds like a real talent and exciting to watch.

I too would love to see some of the young guys given a go but they have to demonstrate that they are better than the guys who have had the position this year.

2006 didn't really give a chance to experiment. Do you give a young bloke a chance and then take the 'crap' when he has a poor one as Cuthbo did against Brisbane. Hopefully the young guys will step up and form dictate that they should be selected!!!

Ive never seen him play and judging by all the praise he has copped from you guys , he sounds like a real talent and exciting to watch.

don't get too excited, he's a solid player, but will be striving to just fit into 1st grade let alone make an impact.

Still, I'd have him ahead of Dunley to try and save 16 or so penalties in 2007

[quote author=earl]

don't get too excited, he's a solid player, but will be striving to just fit into 1st grade let alone make an impact.

[/quote]
Well,
If you would have him instead of Dunely then i would say that would be something to get excited about.

Not too many players do make an impact right away. But you still need to be given a go !!!

Actually to think about it , who has come straight in and torn the game apart. Benji Marshall???

I have never been a fan of Dunley because he misses too many crucial tackles and gives away stupid penalties every game.

Ballin must be better.

I too would love to see some of the young guys given a go but they have to demonstrate that they are better than the guys who have had the position this year.

2006 didn't really give a chance to experiment. Do you give a young bloke a chance and then take the 'crap' when he has a poor one as Cuthbo did against Brisbane. Hopefully the young guys will step up and form dictate that they should be selected!!!

Too be fair Canteen - 90% of the team had a shocker that night. Not just Cuthbertson.

[quote author=Barks]
[quote author=earl]

[/quote]
Well,
If you would have him instead of Dunely then i would say that would be something to get excited about.

Not too many players do make an impact right away. But you still need to be given a go !!!

Actually to think about it , who has come straight in and torn the game apart. Benji Marshall???

[/quote]

not to the same extent as benji, but there are plentiful of young players who came in & were an asset to their side.

Over the last few years - Robbie Farah, Jarrod Hayne, Dean Collis, Brett Stewart, Liam Fulton, Billy Slater, Greg Inglis, Dene Halatau to name a few.

Ballin won't appear on the scene like these guys did. Don't get me wrong, he's not useless, just wait until we see how he handles 1st grade before thinking a problem in 2007 is solved.

(But barks, how is he gonna go any good when Des doesn't give him a run...blahblahblah)

I don't always agree with Des, but i trust Des considering he's there day in day out watching these blokes, instead of us with our heads in computers who see manly only 80 mins a week.

But Barks , he is he gonna go any good if Des wont give him a go.
Im not going to go on any more because i havnt seen Ballin and in the end we wont get anywhere.

ON the star factor , I agree with Farrah and a couple others(cant belive i forgot Stewart). I suppose Benji sticks out more because he is a prime ball player and a bloody good one at that. Alot of the others are ball and hole runners which requires skill but not in the same calibre of a half, 5/8 or rake.

I want to see more of Inglis as he gets older and more experience. Also forgot K.Hunt. Come to think of it , there are a few .

Des and the coaching staff can see how good he goes in PL Earl. They see his skills on a daily basis at training. I would guess (hope) they would know when he is ready. Maybe he will in 2007, but it's no use in posters declaring he should be in the side next year. If we are depending on PL players with no 1st grade experience to start in 2007 - god help us. The best we can hope for is that he DOES step up and demand 1st grade selection - let's just not depend on it.

i get your point Barks. I guess the season just gone was not a good time to blood players as we needed to , and had a chance to win each game.

I like what Sheens did at Tigers. As soon as the season was gone he started to drag young players in to give them a taste in the big time without alot of pressure on them.

SBW is the obvious other one that ripped it up on debut, he tormented Parra from the centres and then was probably the Dogs best in the finals that year too when they won it

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7