Matt Cooper out of Country but playing against Manly!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Normie

Bencher
Just heard on the radio that Matt Cooper ruled himself out of the Country side for Friday night with a calf strain but has been named to play against Manly on Saturday night! The Country officials are livid and say that he should be banned from SOO...

Why doesn't the NRL step in and say that if he is not fit for Country v City, then he is unable to play against Manly???? 1 rule for some...........

he's done it 5 times in 6 years so its hardly a surprise.

Saints let him play without training, country wanted him to train. This is hardly earth shattering, and has been going on forever, shows what players think of this game, regardless of the cliches they trot out in interviews.

I remember the threats against lyon a few seasons ago being that if he were picked and didn't play he will be banned from that rounds NRL game.

That should apply in this case as he is blatantly skipping his rep duties.

However, it will not and to be completely honest I'd rather get a guage of where our lads are at against as stong a Dragons team as possible. Just how far off the benchmark are we atm. I reckon we can do em even after having more players back up.

As Fro says, it has happened many a time before. I think the issue is that the rep sides have a medical on the Monday or Tuesday before the game, so that they have time to make changes if someone is ruled unfit. Whereas with the club games you can basically leave it till an hour before kick off before deciding on fitness.

What is Cooper's injury, split ends on his gay little rat's tail ??

It's a joke that he is prevented from playing one game but is miraculously okay 24 hours later. 

He is not unable to play it he is unable to train, and in a new team with different guys he needs to be able to train to have the best chance of meshing with the rest of the rep team.

Saints he plays with week in week out and knows the plays and players well.

It aint rocket science.

If you want a more relevant question regarding the City Country how about why is it even on at all? it isn't a selection trial and the fact that the best players are not even playing begs the question.

Qld are laughing themselves stupid up there watching Blues hopefuls get injured and bash each other twice in one weekend.

Outdated and should have been banned years ago, and Country people couldn't care less, the fact that it wont start on Channel 9 till about 10pm shows what nien thinks of the game.

Fro link said:
Outdated and should have been banned years ago, and Country people couldn't care less, the fact that it wont start on Channel 9 till about 10pm shows what nien thinks of the game.

I come from the country and i care. Im sure it will be far more interesting than watching the Aussies roll the NZers.

Well you are the exception rather than the rule Cliffy.

and yes I live in the country as well.

I come from the country (live in city now) and I could not give a sh!t about this game.  I will watch bits of it, my main concern is that no Manly player is injured.  It really is a waste of time!!!!!

The City / Country matters a huge amount to the town where it is played. The clash has had all the headlines around Port and on TV every night. A lot of country kids may never get to see an NRL game live and this got them excited to meet players from the club they support and other stars. They held coaching clinics all over the area and a number of signing sessions. The buzz in Port from the boys looking forward to Friday night was very strong and it was a sell-out ground.

I have always loved this clash when based in Sydney but in recent times it has been in the backwater for SOO possible selections. But this year the players had a number of positions up for grabs.

Unfortunately the timing of holding it on the night of the Test makes it less appealing as a stand-alone game.

Sorry MB i've lived in a town when its being played and its only the bogans and 16 yr old boys get excited.

Apart from the local bikes that is.

Maybe you lived in Tasmania Fro, or perhaps the game was on your side of the divide and they were all too busy watching the sheep dip commercials on tv, I dunno, but it was really well received here this week. From what I saw and heard kids from 4 to 12 were a big market and then talking with locals aged mid 20s up were looking to getting out with their mates.

I could have clouded vision because this place has country folk who are pleasant and the whole place has a fantastic customer service ethic. There is no flouride in the water and maybe they have put something else in there as I detect a little Stepford wives vibe going on as every one is so happy. But I'm still a bit of a city cynic so they can kill the damn game for all I really care. Happy now? :)

After playing the mighty Manly pack Matt Cooper will be out for the year, the big pussy.

ManlyBacker link said:
The City / Country matters a huge amount to the town where it is played. The clash has had all the headlines around Port and on TV every night. A lot of country kids may never get to see an NRL game live and this got them excited to meet players from the club they support and other stars. They held coaching clinics all over the area and a number of signing sessions. The buzz in Port from the boys looking forward to Friday night was very strong and it was a sell-out ground.

I have always loved this clash when based in Sydney but in recent times it has been in the backwater for SOO possible selections. But this year the players had a number of positions up for grabs.

Unfortunately the timing of holding it on the night of the Test makes it less appealing as a stand-alone game.
  PM must be different to Dubhole.  They had it in 07 or 08 and struggled to attract a crowd.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4