Matt Orford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambo1987

Bencher
I notice a lot of people want us to go out and buy some new big-name players but in reality we just won a Comp and we will get 3 years at best out this squad before we have to start from scratch again (unless you are the Storm & Roosters who buys new big-name players every year)

This year has been a bit different because of off field incident and the media wanting to sink the boot into us but we will bounce. Thou we seem to sink the boot into our own players – I have been one of those who have been.  

We have to hold on to the Orford, Bailey and Lyon for as long as we can while we rebuild with youth. I will guarantee we will lose some big names over the 2010 / 2011 seasons, which will create more pain on here.
Unfortunately we will probably lose Wolfman this season to the Roosters (Rugby League week this week. If he stays will probably lose Robbo or Bani. But we need Orford to stay on while the rebuilding continues – WE NEED ORFORD TO STAY.

Keep Matty. He a premiership winning captain and has done us proud.

Who we keep and who we target will be affected by price tags.  That's why I'm surprised by reports Melbourne got Finch for just $50k for this season.  Virtually nothing.  If so, that's a huge bargain, irrespective of what you think of Finch.  Same as when they got Clint Newton at reported bargain basement prices mid season.  That worked out very well for them.

I'm no great Newton or Finch fan.  But to me, Melbourne are one step ahead of us in taking advantage of these sort of opportunities. That purchase may well resurrect their faltering season.

There is unlikely to be any NRL proven halfbacks come onto the market anyway. The only one I can think of is Matthew Head possibly. So we are screwed anyway, stick with Orford or throw one of the young ones into the lion's den. I don't mind hanging onto Orford, but not at a premium price.

The progress of Cherry Evans and Hodgkinson is very vital to whatever decision we make. Robson last year was woeful and he was no loss to us at all. A half fit Orford last year won the Dally M.

now is the perfect time to start working on new combos. The game this year is different to last year so start blooding some newbies and work on new combos in a new game

Dan link said:
now is the perfect time to start working on new combos. The game this year is different to last year so start blooding some newbies and work on new combos in a new game

All good in theory but there is not the time to do so without conceding chances of a premiership.

It took Orford and Lyon almost a full year to get it right last year and these are 2 fully matured men with years of first grade experience behind them.

Expecting 18/19 year old KIDS to form combinations in less than a year or 2 is unrealistic.

clontaago link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=180124.msg219386#msg219386 date=1239834335]

All good in theory but there is not the time to do so without conceding chances of a premiership.

It took Orford and Lyon almost a full year to get it right last year and these are 2 fully matured men with years of first grade experience behind them.

Expecting 18/19 year old KIDS to form combinations in less than a year or 2 is unrealistic.
[/quote]

im saying give this year up as gone. I know it's early days but going back to back may just be worth forgetting about and worrying about 2 in 3 years instead

I think our next half will be one of Hodgkinson/Foran/Cherry Evans - can't see us going into the market for another on now

Dan link said:
im saying give this year up as gone. I know it's early days but going back to back may just be worth forgetting about and worrying about 2 in 3 years instead

That is the stupidest post I've ever read, easy.

Volley link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=180124.msg219390#msg219390 date=1239834944]

[/quote]

You haven't read any of Kingy Fans posts Volley?

Volley link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=180124.msg219390#msg219390 date=1239834944]

[/quote]

I've read plenty worse!

I just dont see why back to back is so important. There is a lot stacked against us this year, not just the start of the season and the team we built was not built for the new style of play. I would be happy seeing some of the young guys have a go rather than fight against the near impossible

Try some young kids later in the year if we aren't a realistic chance of taking it out. Fact is though is that it's Round 6.

Volley link said:
Try some young kids later in the year if we aren't a realistic chance of taking it out. Fact is though is that it's Round 6.

Origin is going to hurt us this year. Injuries plus origin means realistically we will likely struggle again in as few weeks

Even if we had lost to the Tiges I would still have expected Manly to be playing for a chance of finals footie. If we are only 2 or 3 games from 10 then planning for the following season by looking at new combos is worth serious consideration, but it ain't gonna happen :)

Jezuz dude. We will EASILY make the finals. I think we are a chance this year to go back to back.

Once in the finals, anything can happen.

Put it this way. We are better than Melbourne with Finch and all in my opinion.

I believe we can somewhat be like The Brisbane Bronco's. Our management & coaching staff have a strong system. I see no reason why we can't be strong for a very, very long time.

the key to staying at or near the top is keeping a regular turnover each season, including new younger and cheaper players coming through. that way you dont end up losing too many at once and keep a stable core.

Hence with orford at 31, lyon 27 and bailey 26 it would be good to see a younger half blooded

Ryan link said:
I believe we can somewhat be like The Brisbane Bronco's. Our management & coaching staff have a strong system. I see no reason why we can't be strong for a very, very long time.

One difference Rhino........the Broncs have the cash as they are a 1 team town.

Apart from that I reckon you are right on the money.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4