Matthew Ridge Doco - brings back the memories

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I know it will have been posted before but what a great watch. This popped up on YouTube and is such a great watch.
Before the Manly way. Before the tales from Tiger town. This has such great access and is done in a proper doco style instead of trying to sensationalise every moment.

Ps. I now know why Tooves is so angry all the time. Having the world see this special dance with Ridge would drive most men to drink.

I know it will have been posted before but what a great watch. This popped up on YouTube and is such a great watch.
Before the Manly way. Before the tales from Tiger town. This has such great access and is done in a proper doco style instead of trying to sensationalise every moment.

Ps. I now know why Tooves is so angry all the time. Having the world see this special dance with Ridge would drive most men to drink.
I remember watching this in NZ on I think channel one as a kid. It was around this point where a lot of kiwis including myself started supporting Manly.

I remember watching this in NZ on I think channel one as a kid. It was around this point where a lot of kiwis including myself started supporting Manly.
Its so interesting and very well put together. To have kirwan as host was a nice segway to bring rugby and League together in one place.
Loved the training or lack of.

Probably through this era , recruiting Ridge as a full back meant losing Ivan Cleary as a long term Manly one
Guess that would have to say on balance , better to have had Ridge but no question that Cleary had some real ability as a full back as well , though also did seem to do quite well as a centre with Norths for some seasons .
Very competitive individual player in Ridge however and sure that his quite rigid playing outlook and discipline rubbed off on a few other Manly top graders in a positive way at the time ..

Tough win at all costs type of player. Starting to see some of this tenacity and high standards setting from Trbo.

One of the keys to our success in the mid 90s.

Can you imagine playing in a team with Ridge at the back, Tooves in the halves and Spudd up front? No room for any laziness or mistakes in that team or you’d know about it. And if the players on the field didn’t ensure you didn’t screw up then you’d have to deal with Bozo!!

I also found the training footage fascinating: blokes dancing awkwardly, lifting loose weights here and there, and throwing a ball around Brookvale Oval at night (because most of them had jobs during the day). And video sessions consisted of Ridgey and Graham Lowe sitting in front of an old TV set, with Lowe providing basic instruction as to how the game of rugby league is played.

Professionalism in the game has come a long, long way.

And that beating Ridge was subjected to (at around 22 minutes) from Tooves and OJ Cunningham brought to mind the huffing and puffing around the unnamed Canterbury player objecting to similar "training" last season. But the Bulldogs have always been well behind the times…

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8