Matty Johns Manly preview

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sea Eagles season preview
external

origin:video_integrator.Z5cXY4MTE6WgC28F1HudBmgf0Ydb5lZr

MANLY have recruited brilliantly and will enjoy significant improvement this year. The pack is a beauty.

Nate Myles is a great player and a natural leader, while Martin Taupau was one of the best big men of 2016 and it is hard to believe the Tigers let him go.

Lewis Brown will prove to be an astute buy. He has experience, versatility and is a hard-nosed competitor.

Dylan Walker, if he performs to his potential, will play State of Origin this year. Walker lost his way in the last 12 months but is still only very young. And from what I’m told has had a very good preparation. Expect big things from Walker. Whether he plays centre or wears the No.6 is the question. I hear he’ll wear the No.6, and I’ll talk more about that shortly.

I like how Manly have also recruited in the dummy-half department. Young Matt Parcell from the Ipswich Jets is an explosive player and will enjoy the extra speed in the game. Parcell will share minutes with Api Koroisau, who never quite fulfilled his potential at Penrith but could be a very good pick-up.

The loss of Kieran Foran concerns me. You don’t lose a great player like Foran without feeling some pain, and it leaves a significant hole in who partners Daly Cherry-Evans in the halves.

As I said, word is Walker will fill the No.6 jersey and he will be a success there with a focus on being a ball-running half. But that does put more pressure on Daly.

Foran shared the creative load on Daly and had the ability to push the side around the park, which also eased the load on the No.7. Walker won’t be that sort of player. Creatively this side is all Cherry-Evans.

The form of DCE will determine how much Manly miss Foran. If Cherry-Evans has a 2011-type year, Manly could very well win the competition. If he suffers injury or a crisis in confidence, they might only scrape into the top eight.

BEST 13

1 Brett Stewart 2 Jorge Taufua 3 Jamie Lyon 4 Steve Matai 5 Tom Trbojevic 6 Dylan Walker 7 Daly Cherry-Evans 8 Nate Myles 9 Apisai Koroisau 10 Jake Trbojevic 11 Jamie Buhrer 12 Lewis Brown 13 Martin Taupau. Interchange: 14 Brenton Lawrence 15 Darcy Lussick 16 Matt Parcell 17 Feleti Mateo.

Prediction: 5th

external

MANLY have recruited brilliantly and will enjoy significant improvement this year. The pack is a beauty.

Nate Myles is a great player and a natural leader, while Martin Taupau was one of the best big men of 2016 and it is hard to believe the Tigers let him go.

Lewis Brown will prove to be an astute buy. He has experience, versatility and is a hard-nosed competitor.

Dylan Walker, if he performs to his potential, will play State of Origin this year. Walker lost his way in the last 12 months but is still only very young. And from what I’m told has had a very good preparation. Expect big things from Walker. Whether he plays centre or wears the No.6 is the question. I hear he’ll wear the No.6, and I’ll talk more about that shortly.

I like how Manly have also recruited in the dummy-half department. Young Matt Parcell from the Ipswich Jets is an explosive player and will enjoy the extra speed in the game. Parcell will share minutes with Api Koroisau, who never quite fulfilled his potential at Penrith but could be a very good pick-up.

The loss of Kieran Foran concerns me. You don’t lose a great player like Foran without feeling some pain, and it leaves a significant hole in who partners Daly Cherry-Evans in the halves.

As I said, word is Walker will fill the No.6 jersey and he will be a success there with a focus on being a ball-running half. But that does put more pressure on Daly.

Foran shared the creative load on Daly and had the ability to push the side around the park, which also eased the load on the No.7. Walker won’t be that sort of player. Creatively this side is all Cherry-Evans.

The form of DCE will determine how much Manly miss Foran. If Cherry-Evans has a 2011-type year, Manly could very well win the competition. If he suffers injury or a crisis in confidence, they might only scrape into the top eight.

BEST 13

1 Brett Stewart 2 Jorge Taufua 3 Jamie Lyon 4 Steve Matai 5 Tom Trbojevic 6 Dylan Walker 7 Daly Cherry-Evans 8 Nate Myles 9 Apisai Koroisau 10 Jake Trbojevic 11 Jamie Buhrer 12 Lewis Brown 13 Martin Taupau. Interchange: 14 Brenton Lawrence 15 Darcy Lussick 16 Matt Parcell 17 Feleti Mateo.

Thank you GE

I'd agree with most of that , 5th is possibly about right as I think it's going to take a while for this new team to gel, and other sides will create a bit of a gap whilst that's happening.

Foran held Chez back last year. The poor kid probably welcomes Dylan and Parcell to leave him free to do his tactical kicks.:cool:

Manly's whole structured play is an unknown in the NRL due to a complete outsider in Baz.
Dez and 2V all carried the Bozo worksheet, whilst this new guy has to create his own.@:cool:

Should be an interesting year for we life time Manly Fans.:nod:

Manly in Top 2 easy :clap:

I think our losses - how we handle them, learn from them - will determine what kind of team we are.

Also if the 'footy gods' go easy on us with the injuries, compared to last year, then we shouldn't have any problems flexing our premiership muscle.

Last edited:
I think it's a pretty fair summary, but the thing is, I think the main contenders in recent times - Roosters & Souths are vulnerable with the Qld GF teams the yardsticks....
A few teams like NZ ,Cronulla & Dogs are in that 3rd tier with Roosters/ Souths but I have us the 3rd team who could seriously threaten the Qld teams come finals time.

external

BEST 13

Awesome. Thanks mate!

I'd be happy 5-8th for this year. What I really want to see is the pack muscle up, DCE do something with his license to roam (which I think he will because the way he moves and sets up plays at high speed is lethal) and I'd like to see our older backs happy and enjoying their football again.

I'd be happy 5-8th for this year. What I really want to see is the pack muscle up, DCE do something with his license to roam (which I think he will because the way he moves and sets up plays at high speed is lethal) and I'd like to see our older backs happy and enjoying their football again.
5-8th (unless there's a huge injury crisis) would suggest the rebuild had failed its goals.

Our last year's team, without the injuries, would have easily hit that range.

With the astute buying this year a top 4 finish it will be for me . Some might think im jumping the gun , but have a close look at our side . It is strong enough to win the whole bloody thing. I cant see a slow start apart maybe walker might take a few weeks to get combos working with chez but thats it. Myles jake and kapow with lussick and co and the backline that we are blessed with things are looking real good.

I'm predicting back to Top 4 mate, which is our rightful place. The 'older backs' have not got long to go, and I suspect they will want to go right after it this year a la Cronin swan song in '86 (no, I don't follow that lot, but in my opinion, a good comparison)

I'm predicting back to Top 4 mate, which is our rightful place. The 'older backs' have not got long to go, and I suspect they will want to go right after it this year a la Cronin swan song in '86 (no, I don't follow that lot, but in my opinion, a good comparison)
I said 5-8th because I figure they will need a stretch to gel. They are capable of much more though.

I hope that doesn't mean we don't win another one for 30 years as happened in that case!!

Err...can I also add that I don't pay for the telegraph (nor any papers)....I just typed it in the intergoogle and it appeared.

I wouldn't want my fellow Manly fans to get the wrong idea about the telegraph and me. :giggle:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4