Melbourne & Brisbane last night joined Newcastle in demanding Lyon be stood down

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Melbourne & Brisbane last night joined Newcastle in demanding Lyon be stood down

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23923121-5001023,00.html

By Barry Toohey and Dean Ritchie

June 26, 2008

ANGRY Newcastle yesterday called on Manly centre Jamie Lyon to stand down from Saturday night's match in Gosford for "moral reasons".

Lyon has shocked the NSW State of Origin camp by declaring he was not interested in representing the Blues in this season's series.

Premiership heavyweights Melbourne and Brisbane last night joined Newcastle in demanding Lyon be stood down.

Lyon has not officially asked for dispensation but yesterday confirmed he did not want to play representative football this season.

NSW coach Craig Bellamy revealed that Blues selectors overlooked Lyon for the Origin decider because the Manly star snubbed them for Origin II. Bellamy also rang Lyon.

Furious Knights CEO Steve Burraston claimed the Lyon issue had opened up a dangerous loophole in relation to players' availability for representative football.

"Technically, Manly will argue that Lyon hasn't been officially picked so he has a right to play against us (in Gosford)," Burraston said. "Morally, it is not right and he should be stood down.

"I'm not a fan of winning games off the field but this is something that needs to be looked at. I don't think it is fair. We have three of our best players unavailable and Manly are almost at full strength."

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer laughed at Burraston's suggestion.

"I suggest Steve reads the rules. I can't see any reference to morals," Mayer said.

"The rules are clear and I would suggest that anybody wishing to question either Manly's or Jamie's integrity should simply check their facts."

The Broncos and Storm - who have 13 Origin players unavailable this weekend - are furious Lyon has been allowed to pick and choose his rep games and still be allowed to play for Manly.

"I'd have thought Manly had an obligation to do the right thing by the rest of the clubs and stand him down," Storm CEO Brian Waldron said. "If he doesn't want to play, I don't see why Manly should benefit while the rest of us suffer."

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen agreed, saying: "If he has said he's unavailable, then he should stand down. It would be an expectation more than anything else."

NRL chief executive David Gallop added: "We would only stand down a player if the NSWRL request it because he hadn't complied with their rep player rules."

Standard NRL contracts state any player who stands down from rep football cannot play for their club that weekend.

Lyon yesterday defended his controversial decision.

"I made it clear to the media and anyone who asked that I would prefer not to play in the series but that I would play if called on or needed," he said.

"I wasn't chosen to play in the third Origin game. I have maintained that I am happy playing club football with Manly."

Re: Melbourne & Brisbane last night joined Newcastle in demanding Lyon be stood down

The fact he was available to play if picked, he just told the coach he preferred not to play.

Re: Melbourne & Brisbane last night joined Newcastle in demanding Lyon be stood down

Do we need this??  It could go either way.  will it give us more ammo to win the comp?  or will all this media scrutiny affect our attitudes?  So we're back to being the most hated team again on this stupid Origin principle.  Nobody is going to pay attention to the fact that Lyon said he'd play if he had to.  This isn't going to be pretty and it's not going away for awhile methinks.

Leave the bloke alone!

He has some support from an old enemy...
smh.com.au, half the story:

TERRY LAMB - the only other man suspended for declining to wear the sky blue - believes Manly centre Jamie Lyon should still be considered to represent Australia at the World Cup, despite spurning the opportunity to play for NSW.

Former ARL general manager John Quayle stood down Lamb for one club match when the Canterbury playmaker withdrew from the NSW team in 1987 to be with his pregnant wife, Kim.

As reported in yesterday's Herald, Lyon won't receive any sanction because he wasn't officially selected, despite telling NSW coach Craig Bellamy before Origin II that he preferred to concentrate on club duties.

But he does face an unofficial ban from playing in the World Cup, to be held in Australia at the end of this year - unlike Lamb, who was included in the Kangaroos World Cup squad in 1988.

"As it was for me, the choice should be his not to play," Lamb said. "As I said to John Quayle at the time, it is my decision to play rugby league. It should be my decision not to play for NSW.

"Jamie Lyon has been in great form this year and if he's still in that form at the end of the year, he should be considered [for Australia]."

Like Lamb, it's understood Lyon did not want to be away from his young family during the Origin series.

Manly officials were bemused at the outrage sparked by Lyon's decision, because he had not even been picked for the NSW team. Almost as mystifying to the Sea Eagles were the rumours Lyon wanted to walk out on the final two years of his current deal to join cashed-up UK Super League club Warrington.

I cant believe anyone is listening to a word that comes from a Brian Smith coached club where Lyon is concerned.

As far as the "Almost full strength" comment goes, I am sure Orford and Kite would love to be in there but weren't picked.

Tough Sh!t to the lot of them.

Although I disagree with Lamb, I don't think he should be considered for any rep stuff.

Melb and Bris, 2 of the biggest rorters in the game claiming morality..... haha

Melb and Bris both NewsLimited! jeez what a surprise!

And they say the media doesn't rule our game...PUULEEAASE

Dan link said:
Melb and Bris both NewsLimited! jeez what a surprise!

And they say the media doesn't rule our game...PUULEEAASE

Exactly - News doesn't have a hold over Origin and it's trying to snake in any way it can.  Fck News Ltd and their puppet teams

Smith you goose even if lyon doesn't play you have no burderis or gidley so you won't win anyway.

Is Burderis injured, I know Buderus is in the Origin team, no idea who the other guy is

I was just reading the thread in the mwse forum and they make good points too - Newcastle who protect drug cheats and Melbourne: inventors of all those funnily named tackles.  End of story, this is just a smear campaign against Manly because we're COMING FIRST.  

Re: Melbourne & Brisbane last night joined Newcastle in demanding Lyon be stood

i find it amusing that the this newcastle tool can bag manly for not doing what he believes is "morally right".... isnt this the team that stopped kirk renoldson from playing his 15th game and activating the next year in his contract even tho the knights were HEAVILY depleted through injuries and kirk was one of their best players at the time???

Court83 welcome mate. Yeah this is a ****ing joke coming from Clubs like the Storm,Show Ponies, and Smith's Knights lol really why dont they Go any form their own little league and **** off.

It raises an interesting thought though. A family man decides he would rather place his family high on the priority list and not spend a week in a drunken frenzy (first few days) and then interstate and he is castigated for it.

Surely a proud rep player (which Lyon has been) would have his reasons. The stupidity of all this is that this happened in Origin 2 and he was not picked for this game. Tis a joke really.

I am 100% behind Lyon on this one

thanks predator, i dunno, i suppose we really should be used to this kinda ****e anyway, no one ever has liked manly apart from manly supporters, and no one probably ever will......

Dumb asses

Bruno, is a dog, and a bloody good name for one, fits perfectly

Waldron, concentrate on not rorting the cap for once in your clubs history mate, also trying to rasie some money so you don't live off News Ltd handouts might give you something to do as well

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4