Melbourne Cup runner-up Bauer allegedly had shockwave therapy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
RACING Victoria Limited Stewards have confirmed that the investigation into the treatment of Bauer in the lead-up to the 2008 Emirates Melbourne Cup relates to extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT).

ESWT is used to treat musculoskeletal problems in racehorses. It does this by creating pressure waves that stimulate specific sites in the body.

Research has shown that shock wave therapy can result in locally decreased pain sensation (analgesia) after treatment. Potential exists for horses to race while experiencing this post-treatment analgesia.

It is understood Bauer underwent the treatment on the Thursday before the 2008 Melbourne Cup for pain in the hind-quaters.

The stewards are concluding their investigation and will make a statement regarding the outcome of the investigation at a media conference at 1:30pm on Thursday.

Under the Australian Rules of Racing it is prohibited for a horse to undergo such treatment within seven days of a race.

Following a National Chairman of Steward’s conference in 2004, Rule 64H, which deals with shock wave therapy, was adopted.

The Rule states: “A horse that has been subjected to any form of shockwave therapy shall be ineligible to race or take part in any trial in the seven days following such treatment.”

It is the first inquiry of its sort in the Melbourne Cup's 147-year history. If connections are found guilty, Bauer would be disqualified, costing the English stallion's owners, which include former Australia cricketer Simon O'Donnell, $835,000 in prizemoney.

No licensed person in Victoria or New South Wales has been charged under Rule 64H since it was introduced.

Definitely a tough one and it looks like it will be bad news for the connections.

I was glad to see that sanity and fairness prevailed and Chris Munce got his license to ride back. Infamous racecourse incidents such as the Fine Cotton ring-in only resulted in participants being warned off. 20 months in jail was a huge price to pay for what he did.

More than enough. The Hong Kong racing authorities should hang their heads in shame after trying to ban him for another 2 years + from racing after the bloke had served 2 years in jail. A joke.

Good on NSWR for showing some balls and reinstating him. He's a good jockey.

Is this shock wave therapy available for humans?

So if this horse does get scratched or whatever, what happens with the money that has been paid out to thoise who put a bet on it for a place?  I can't see anyone refunding their gains to the bookies.

And will the bookies be expected to pay out on the horse moving up from 4th to 3rd?

No it doesnt affect the bookes or TAB payouts. It's far too complicated, once correct weight has been declared, anyone that has a losing ticket pretty much throws it away anyway.

Basically what would have happened is all horses get shifted up a placing and get given the extra prizemoney.

They cleared him though so placings stay as is. 

I guess you could call shock wave treatment for humans similar to the use of TENS machines. It is just putting pulses through muscle tissue. Like the one used on Bauer TENS can have an analgysic effect on an inflamed area, and that is why there is a racing rule in place to stop horses racing when having a damaged area not feeling pain. Almost everywhere else in the racing world there is only a 1 day no-race rule after use and I think the decision in this case (not to disqualify) is the right one.

clontaago link said:
No it doesnt affect the bookes or TAB payouts. It's far too complicated, once correct weight has been declared, anyone that has a losing ticket pretty much throws it away anyway.

Basically what would have happened is all horses get shifted up a placing and get given the extra prizemoney.

They cleared him though so placings stay as is. 
  Sounds like a potential lawsuit though.

Matabele link said:
Is this shock wave therapy available for humans?

So if this horse does get scratched or whatever, what happens with the money that has been paid out to thoise who put a bet on it for a place?  I can't see anyone refunding their gains to the bookies.
And will the bookies be expected to pay out on the horse moving up from 4th to 3rd?

I collected and they were never getting their money back.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2