Memo To the Matai Knockers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
Steve rated highest in the fairfax player rating for any player on Friday night plus got in team of the week.  Not bad for a player in his first game back from a serious shoulder injury/surgury.

He adds spark & mongrel to our team, remember that next time he gives away a penalty then gets bagging from the usual suspects.  :-*

Fairfax's rugby league writers choose the best team from round six of the NRL.

Team of the week
Fullback: Billy Slater (Melbourne Storm)
Wing: Matt Utai (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Centre: Justin Hodges (Brisbane Broncos)
Centre: Steve Matai (Manly Sea Eagles)
Wing: Matt Petersen (Gold Coast Titans)
Five-eighth: Chris Bailey (Newcastle Knights)
Halfback: Scott Prince (Gold Coast Titans)
Prop: Carl Webb (North Queensland Cowboys)
Hooker: Danny Buderus (Newcastle Knights)
Prop: Ray Cashmere (North Queensland Cowboys
Secondrow: Chris Heighington (Wests Tigers)
Secondrow: Sonny Bill Williams (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Lock: Greg Bird (Cronulla Sharks)

He definitely played well on Friday. His timing was a little out, but that is to be expected.

I think Steve thrives in those close combat encounters were he can get a feeling for what the opposition are going to do.

He worries me a little in the expansive games where he can get caught out misreading plays etc.

How did Slater make that team? All he needs to do is walk out on the field and he makes it.

Bowen played twice as good last round.

CliffyIsGod link said:
How did Slater make that team? All he needs to do is walk out on the field and he makes it.

Bowen played twice as good last round.

From the Manly game I think. I don't think the Monday night games are taken into account

the only way slater or SBW miss out are if they do not play.

Half back position goes to rock paper scissors each week between thurston, cronk and prince

The media agenda is to promote Slater as the favoured son. Watch the dismay if (when) he misses out in favour of the incumbent. There will be gnashing of teeth and sobbing from them all.

He adds spark & mongrel to our team, remember that next time he gives away a penalty then gets bagging from the usual suspects. 

Are these suspects from this forum cause there hasn't been a matai thread for a while,besides just keep in mind what byso has just stated could just be true.

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE link said:
He adds spark & mongrel to our team, remember that next time he gives away a penalty then gets bagging from the usual suspects.   

Are these suspects from this forum cause there hasn't been a matai thread for a while,besides just keep in mind what byso has just stated could just be true.

They know who they are & besides Canteen Worker is right

It is amazing how Matai single handedly won as that game!

Please!

Not single handedly, but he had a huge impact. Some of his runs deep in our own half in the first 40 were inspiring and played a big part in the win.

He's been picked at 5/8 this week I notice!! Wonder if he is the centre-turned-into-5/8 that we've always hoped Jamie Lyon would be...

Dan link said:
I hope he isn't defending in 5/8th

I think it's a great spot for him to defend. A touch closer in. He shouldn't be too far away from the opposition's playmakers. Do you think Thurston, Prince, Cronk, Carney and the likes are gonna be keen to head his way once he puts a bell ringer on them??

Dunno if this was said before, but he has apparently (I only heard this 2nd fiddle) a 5/8 in the juniors, and it's his preferred position. Actually, apparently he likes to goal kick too, and hits them like Thurston (not as accurate), but banana style !

I remember reading somewhere (could've been months ago, could've been earlier today...my brain is a bit frazzled) that he was a 5/8 when he came over from NZ. It's obviously been a while.

I have to admit I've never seen him display many skills in his time at Manly. Seems a very straight up player. Hits hard, runs hard, runs straight, doesn't pass. I don't suppose Manly have had a five/eighth who does anything more than that for a fair while though...

A five-eighth who runs straight is okay if he can pass. It attracts the defender rather than having him slide. Is he a ball player is the million dollar question?

Nutzcraw link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=177385.msg182908#msg182908 date=1208849574]
I hope he isn't defending in 5/8th

I think it's a great spot for him to defend. A touch closer in. He shouldn't be too far away from the opposition's playmakers. Do you think Thurston, Prince, Cronk, Carney and the likes are gonna be keen to head his way once he puts a bell ringer on them??
[/quote]

It would weaken us big time! Our weakest part as is, is when people bust through the middle of us. Having him there running out of the line? no thanks

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4