Menzies disappointed by no Manly offer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Liueli of Brookvale

Reserve Grader
Manly legend Steve Menzies admits he's disappointed the Sea Eagles didn't offer him a contract to return to the NRL in 2011.

http://www.nrl.com/NewsViews/LatestNews/NewsArticle/tabid/10874/newsId/60522/Default.aspx

In hindsight, it's so disappointing we signed Chris Bailey when we could have used that money to keep Beaver. Having said that I think they saw him as a 5/8 not the backrow bench player he is used as now.

its dissappointing reading that & then looking at the dead money we have spent on shIIt since the end of  2008 , shane rodney is the only one who can hold his head up high , the rest of the recruits have been pathetic, trex  has improved but  its  a yr by yr thing with him..

I will forever remember the 76th minute of the 2008 Grand Final as one of the truly great moments of me being a Manly fan.

I love the guy as much as the rest of you, but for me that memory would only be tarnished by a return for a final swansong.

The only thing I'd love him to do is run out one last time for his 350th and record breaking game.....which wont last for long anyway as barring injuy Lockyer will surpass that by some distance.

While it is disappointing to see my favourite player to not run out at least one more time in our colour's. Talking to English guys they are now appreciating what we had for 16 years playing for our club and no doubt that joy will also carry over to the French where Le Beaver will ply his trade again. All I say to them enjoy it while you can, it'll be a long time before we see another forward of the ilk of the Beaver again.

It's particularly disappointing when Beaver makes himself a recruitment ' face'  for 2011 membership and is splashed on the front page of the mwse website. I'm sure he did it for love not money. And yet he can't get an offer.
Illawarra managed it with Gasnier this season - surely we could have done something equally fiscally creative for our champion.

Barry Hyland link said:
It's particularly disappointing when Beaver makes himself a recruitment ' face'  for 2011 membership and is splashed on the front page of the mwse website. I'm sure he did it for love not money. And yet he can't get an offer.
Illawarra managed it with Gasnier this season - surely we could have done something equally fiscally creative for our champion.
yep agree.. im sure we could have too he understood the cap issue ,so it seems he wasnt too fussed what he was going to get he just wanted to play for manly not against,looks like he going back overseas where im sure he doesnt want to be..

Mark from Brisbane link said:
I will forever remember the 76th minute of the 2008 Grand Final as one of the truly great moments of me being a Manly fan.

I love the guy as much as the rest of you, but for me that memory would only be tarnished by a return for a final swansong.

The only thing I'd love him to do is run out one last time for his 350th and record breaking game.....which wont last for long anyway as barring injuy Lockyer will surpass that by some distance.

Have to agree. Menzies would be my favourite Eagle of all time and it would be great to see him run around again, but the fairytale of 2008 will never be surpasssed. I would love to see him on Dessie's coaching team though.

If Beaver came back and was a 10th of the player he used to be, no way known would that damage the memories I have of him as a player.  And if he was a 10th of player he'd still be better for us than what we get from Bailey and Cross combined.

Absolute no brainer for me and thats just for the footy side of things.  The benefits off field would be unbelievable.  I agree with the face of the memberships, which to be frank, we aren't doing very well in.  And how much pride would we all get from having Beaver break the 350 game barrier and hopefully put himself far enough infront of his only real great challenger in Locky to remain the games record holder.  AND not to mention the leadership role he could take within the playing group.

I still for the life of me can't see how we are at our cap level, I initially thought Lowe saying we can't afford him was just him trying to deflect blame on the NRL and the cap instead of saying we just didn't want him but it appears we are close to the cap and Lowe and the managers of those players who have resigned in the last 12 months must have done very well for themselves.

masked eagle, paying overs for certain players has caused this. Beaver would bring in so much extra fans and dough. To think we have wally's like bailey, cross, gulavou on our roster and can't afford to pay a legend. It's hard to understand. Imagine him coming off the bench and the crowd going beserk. 

I like to think of it this way he's talent scouting for us ;)

A few good juniors coming through both Bradford's and Catalans ranks. 

They didn't offer him a contract because they don't have any more money.

No major sponsor, retaining current star players, owners who don't want to put in any more money than is absolutely necessary.... equals no money.

We'd all love Beaver to be a part of 2011, but unless he was going to play for next to nothing... it was never going to happen.

IN regards to the major sponser does anyone else think this will happen -

Penn Health moves to the front to be major sponser, Centrebet to where Penn use to be

Imagine Beaver, Snake and Wolfie running out for our first game of the season in 2011. How disappointing that they couldn't find a way to get him back. What a package to entice fans and sponsors back to the fold. Wonder if the previous administration would have found a way???

well, he would add some more "experience" at 37 to our pack for sure, and I hear that the more age is better mantra is a requirement for forward packs these days!!

We would go from Dad's army to Grandpa's army  :D

We would likely become the Manly Warringah 'Senile Eagles".

Pensioners get a further 10% off when you join the mighty Eagles  ;D

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4