Menzies for $1

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bencher
You have to love the man and his Manly spirit. What a legend!

And his greatest memory is giving the slipper to the Storm 40-nil lol.

"A dollar's a dollar, so you've got to take the cash,'' he said. ''I think I would, just to do it.

"I'm getting a bit old and slow but if something happens and Manly asked me, how could I refuse?

"I'd have to sign it and see what happens. That would be good but also scary at the same time.

"If something happened and they said: 'look, you're the last resort - we need you' then for Manly I would do that for sure.

"If the scenario was right and it was needed by the club then I'd help them out.''

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/id-play-again-for-1-contract-reveals-manly-sea-eagles-legend-steve-menzies/story-fndv31ch-1226755218720

Not possible. There is a minimum salary

Dan said:
Not possible. There is a minimum salary

That was when Gallop was running the show. The new NRL seem more flexible. Not saying they would let Manly do it for a $1, but i doubt the door of NRL HQ is shut to any idea on the cap & star players.

simon64 said:
Can he donate all but $1 back to the club ?

Will still count under the cap as the full amount.
Cant see the NRL embracing menzies, they virtually snubbed one of the games best players

Love to see the Beaver in Manly colours again.

Never under-estimate this legend's ability and durability.

It'd be the BEST publicity the NRL could ever hope to engineer.

The NRL would benefit from this man's clean cut image and nobody is more a poster boy than Beaver.

It'd be massive promo for Manly and a definite revenue raiser.

It's all positive, nothing negative.

BEAVER! BEAVER! BEAVER!

Please. erect a beaver statue on the Hill, (i'll donate) give him a job at the club so his influence is around the boy's, and honour his memory.

But surely there is no need to make the poor old bugger keep hitting it up?

Alan said:
Please. erect a beaver statue on the Hill, (i'll donate) give him a job at the club so his influence is around the boy's, and honour his memory.

Lol the irony :D

Alan said:

finch4-5-10-1.jpg

Looking via google seems the $3 deal was legit under the NRL. Can't work out how though when a club puts in a contract for a player at say $150000 & the NRL say he is worth $250000, but here BK went in for $3. Can you play NRL as an unpaid footballer?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/kennedy-the-3-man/story-e6frexri-1111113848743#

Kennedy the $3 man

MANLY have secretly signed their former champion forward Ben Kennedy on a $3 contract as an insurance policy against injuries in the run home to the finals.

Sea Eagles CEO Grant Mayer registered the contract with the NRL last night, paving the way for the club legend to make a comeback at any time.

The money is a far cry from the $400,000-a-season he commanded only last year when he was widely regarded as the best and most damaging forward in the NRL.

Mayer told The Daily Telegraph last night that coach Des Hasler had done the deal with Kennedy after weeks of discussions.

"Ben told Des he still misses Manly dearly and would love to play again," Mayer said, "They've been talking about it for a long time.

"He basically said to Des, 'If you're struggling with injuries at any time, don't forget about me'."

Mayer said Kennedy had kept himself in great shape since retiring at the end of last season.

"He hasn't trained a lot but he still looks great," Mayer said.

"I guess you'd have to say it's a 1000/1 chance that he'd play but you never know what can happen in this game. It's fantastic security for us to know he's there as such a great fall-back option."

Hasler said: "Ben's the sort of bloke who could do it, even after a long absence.

"But to be honest, it's unlikely. I've got great back-rowers already and I've got great depth.

"It's a nice safety guard. We've been discussing it for a while actually. It's been quite funny. Ben wanted a $5 deal, I said $1, so we met halfway. Seriously, how loyal is the bloke? He'd come back for sure if we needed him.

"It's all very hypothetical at this stage but who knows what's going to happen down the track?"

Mayer faxed the contract to the NRL's salary cap auditor Ian Schubert late yesterday, just 48 hours before the deadline.

It is a similar move to that of the Melbourne Storm, whose coach Craig Bellamy signed retired forward Robbie Kearns to a $2 contract last year in case he was needed for the finals.

Kennedy would not accept phone calls last night, but told one club official: 'I still love the club, I love all the players and always will. I'm still very loyal to them. If they need me I'm there."

NRL boss David Gallop confirmed the contract had been registered last night.

"It's a legitimate contract and it's been done before with Melbourne," Gallop said.

"Any match payments he earns would go into their cap for next year."

Kennedy may initially struggle if he returns from a nine-month break but one source had no doubt he would be capable of again holding his own in the NRL.

"Lots of players spend nine months on the sidelines with injuries and come back," one Manly official said. "A lot of people think Ben retired one year too early, anyway."

How many games does he need to beat Lockyer. 7-8. Let him come off the bench for that many games.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2