Message from the CEO

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Message from CEO Graham Lowe
Graham Lowe CEO
Monday, 11 January 2010

It has taken 20 years but I am finally back where my heart has always been in Rugby League – at the Manly Sea Eagles. Today marks my first official day back but in true reality I have never left.
In all of the games played over the past two decades I have always wanted to check on the mighty maroon and white first.
Something happened to me that was special when I came to Manly as coach from Wigan in 1990 and although my period was cut short because of health issues I somehow knew I would be back.
I said when I arrived in 1990 that the club is only as strong as the first person to let the organisation down and nothing has changed.
My role as CEO is to be part of a very well organised and professional team. I have entered a system that is successful and proven with a small but dedicated group of people who have the future of the club at heart.
Our job in the front office is to provide everything possible for the head coach Des Hasler to do his job to the best of his ability. Des has made a habit of pushing Manly into the finals again on a regular basis and that will give us a chance to challenge every season. I have watched in admiration at Manly’s rise from near oblivion to become a powerhouse in the game again.
The fact that this has been possible is a tribute to the loyalty and dedication of many people and there can be no doubting that Des Hasler has played his part.
In the lead up to the premiership in 2010 I will assume an observing role but I can promise members, sponsors and supporters that I will doing everything possible to ensure the Sea Eagles continue to be one of the great NRL clubs – on and off the field.

Best Wishes for a successful 2010 season.
Graham Lowe CEO

He's making all the right noises as you'd expect, but it remains to be seen if he can put his rhetoric into action. If he can change the boardroom atmosphere from poisonous to positive then he has done his job. Big ask though, given the childish carry on we witnessed last year. 

He will be worth his salary if he can announce the re-singing of choc, Glen Stewart and Foran soon.

Aww very nice. He has yet to win me over though. That was a little fumbling for a thought out and likely proof read letter.

His heart is in the right place I am sure, I just hope that's enough

I will make no judgements but the wording is a little off.

"In the lead up to the premiership in 2010 I will assume an observing role"

I can imagine Ryan right now remonstrating about how we cant spend season 10 with Lowe just observing. Get involved son. KPIs and all. Get up off the floor. Put your stent back in and faaaaarkin get us a premiership ya old bro.

Jatz Crackers link said:
I will make no judgements but the wording is a little off.

\"In the lead up to the premiership in 2010 I will assume an observing role\"

I can imagine Ryan right now remonstrating about how we cant spend season 10 with Lowe just observing. Get involved son. KPIs and all. Get up off the floor. Put your stent back in and faaaaarkin get us a premiership ya old bro.

My thoughts exactly

Strange comments from a kiwi that he has always been a Manly man.  Kiwis are normally very parochial and hate anything australian. 

I have heard that he has already had talks with Kirsch about using brookvale park to graze his sheep on with the Iro brothers as shepherds.  No photos of Lowey and the Des's goat as the sheep will be jelous.  Bar ram you.

Kingy, there's been a Manly base of fans in Kiwi-land for ages.  Stems from the Ridge/Iro days. 
Let's give the old guy some room.  Pedants, spellcheckers and other whingers, give the guy three months to see what he can do.  If he resigns those good players and gives Peter Peters the punt, he's more than getting there in my book. 

My understanding is that Zorba & Lowe are good mates.  Zorba was said to lobby hard for Lowe to get CEO job with Penn.  I reckon Zorba knew with Lowe as CEO his job would be safe

Thinking back we must have been one of the first clubs to recognise the Kiwi boys potential, for few years i remember us being known as Maori Warringah.

Good old Billy Weepu, the 120 kg cream puff. One of my favourite memories of him (apart from him needing attention everytime he got tackled) was a reserve grade game at Shark Park in the mid nineties. We had come back from a couple of tries down in the last ten minutes to even it up with less than a minute to go. The stupid Sharks went for a short kick off into the breeze and it didn't go 10 metres. So as the hooter sounded we got a penalty on half way to win the match. Big bad Billy bashed it over (via the old fashioned toe poke) to win it.

We should have signed up Billy's girlfriend because I seem to recall that when they both flew back to NZ she was arrested for bashing Billy on the plane.

Frank Shelford was the best kiwi that we ever signed. 

Seeing that we haven't had too many kiwi's in recent years I would have thought that the support from NZ would have dropped off.

Pedants, spellcheckers and other whingers, give the guy three months to see what he can do. 

lol, classic DSM.

personally though I don't like the idea of a sheep-f#$k@ in charge, but i guess he has a low base to work from.

I think the health issue thing is a blowup. Who cares? If your sick/old/lame enough, your good enough (oh wait thats a different quote).

@Tookey: huh, I would have thought Steve Matai would have been NZRL's favourite son, or ur just being sarcastic, which makes sense cause NZ don't seem to get sarcasm.

Fair enough. Decent enough article, but as Andrew alluded to, some specific form of action plan, apart from "watching" would have been nice.

We don't need a re-active CEO. We need a pro-active, and innovative one to make us the market leader in this sport.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7