Met A Former Player Yesterday at Coolangatta

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I was sitting at the airport yesterday and I noticed this guy eyeing me off as if he knew me.

He approached me and said he reckons Manly were hard done by in last years GF. I was completely won over at this stage. Said he noticed my members cap.

Introduced himself as Laurie Freier who played with us in 75-76. Said he played in the second row with Terry Randall. They done the hard stuff he joked. Just looking at him in 2014 I guess he must be around 65-70 and looked like he could play Sunday if Gifty is out, seriously fit.

Any way I checked out his record 62 first grade games for Roosters and Manly between 1970-76. Coached Roosters in 83-84 winning coach of the year in 1983. Then coached Wests in 1988.

It was a pleasure to have a quick chat.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I think his son is/was a hooker for the waratahs?

Yeah that's correct, interesting article about half way down this page.

http://freaquewaves.blogspot.com.au/2010_01_01_archive.html

He is pictured here next to Frank Stanton

http://www.manlyleagues.com.au/cms-club-history/quoting-sea-eagles.phps

bob dylan said:
I was sitting at the airport yesterday and I noticed this guy eyeing me off as if he knew me.

He approached me and said he reckons Manly were hard done by in last years GF. I was completely won over at this stage. Said he noticed my members cap.

Introduced himself as Laurie Freier who played with us in 75-76. Said he played in the second row with Terry Randall. They done the hard stuff he joked. Just looking at him in 2014 I guess he must be getting close to 70 and looked like he could play Sunday if Gifty is out, seriously fit.

Any way I checked out his record 62 first grade games for Roosters and Manly between 1970-76. Coached Roosters in 83-84 winning coach of the year in 1983. Then coached Wests in 1988.

It was a pleasure to have a quick chat.

Great story and half your luck
I know i have said it before,but i get to sit with Les Hannigan and his wife every now and watch on TV.

No one knows who he is and it is just good sittin and listening to someone who played the game and loves the Mighty MWSE.

Go manly-

Laurie Freier is best known as an Easts player.
I used to love watching Les Hannigan play. I haven't forgotten him. He was lightening quick, and the Manly crowd would rise whenever he got the ball. They were the days when wingers were small, agile and didn't have to tackle or catch bombs. Nick and Fred Yackich (spelling?) preceded Les at Manly and were similar excitement machines. Ken Irvine was another who scored heaps of tries through sheer speed, and throughout his career his try tally probably exceeded his tackle count.
Good days... before we adopted stats-mania from the USA.

@bob dylan

Hey Bob, I take it you weren't wearing one of your 2011 Premiers polo shirts? ;)

Wonder who the other guy at the Tigers vs Titans who was wearing his Manly members cap last Sunday. Sitting close to the fence on the south western side.

Who was the person in Timezone at Surfers Paradise Wednesday with their cap on?

I remember Laurie Freier as a solid 2nd rower. Les Hanigan is for me more a memory of that crowd murmer of excitement more than anything else. Speaking of little quick wingers there to score tries rather than take bombs and run the ball back, time to honour the rocket rod jackson...

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2