MG: where's the mongrel?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
EX-INTERNATIONAL Mark Geyer has slammed Manly's forward pack, declaring they are underperforming and lack "mongrel".

Geyer (pictured) yesterday told The Manly Daily the Sea Eagles efforts up front are not making life easy for the inside backs.

The former Penrith and Blues forward believes Friday night's important round six clash against the Eels will provide the ideal opportunity for the Sea Eagles pack to flex their muscles.

"Manly is a team that need the switch turned on," Geyer said yesterday.

"They've got the talent, they have everything but their form is way down.

"On paper they have one of the biggest and fiercest forward packs in the comp.

"They need more mongrel.

"A lot of people have been talking about Orford (captain Matt Orford) and Lyon (centre Jamie Lyon) and how they are not delivering, but if your pigs aren't going forward then those guys don't have the room to do what they have to do."

Geyer said he had been particularly disappointed with the form of representative prop Brent Kite and belives the ex-Dragon won't retain his Test jumper next month.

He likened Kite to St George-Illawarra prop Jason Ryles.

"He reminds me a bit of Ryles in that you know how good they can be, but just don't have the grunt any more," Geyer said.

"I don't think he will make the Test team.

"Guys like (Roosters pair) Nate Myles and (Anthony) Tupou have been in better form."

Geyer added he was an admirer of second-rower Glenn Stewart but believes the young forward needs to step it up against the Eels.

"He's been a lot quieter this year," Geyer said of Stewart.

"I thought he would be a contender for Origin this year but it hasn't happened for him.

"He did really well last year to the point where people we're talking about him more than his brother (Brett).

"I think the spotlight has been on him but he hasn't carried his form on."

Kite is a botherer so you wouldn't expect that he would have that deep seated mongrel in him. Do unto others etc, etc,..... Dallas Donnelly would be turning in his grave.

He is on the money with Glen Stewart too, he has been a bit quieter this year, but I think that has more to do with Manly's stilted attack not giving him the opportunity to run wider and get some line breaks/offloads. I think his defensive work has been as good as normal though.

Kite has been well down on form this year. He's made such massive improvements since his first year at the club (where he was diabolical to begin with), but this year he just hasn't started in the right frame of mind I don't think.

He's been outplayed by King so far this year, and probably Perry as well.

Kite's a long way off an Aussie jersey at the moment.

MG, although a real fukwitt, has a point.  Perry and Princess should the ones that drive the pack forward as Bryant has as much agro as a lettuce, Kite got religion, Willo just tackles and Menzies is to nice.  Hall needs to replace Bryant to give extra grunt up the middle which would allow Stewart and Choc to run wide and be more effective.  The problem is the coach is just a nice dumb guy, not the wily agro bastard we need to intil the necessaries in the guys to go that extra yard.

Must say I have to agree with Geyer, if we were getting over the opposition forwards it would make Ox job a lot easier

I totally agree, we let Melbourne do whatever they wanted to do to us.
A more agro, fierce pack would look like this.

8. King
9. Ballin
10. Perry
11. Watmough
12. Stewart
13. Matai

Make Kite earn his starting spot again.
Bench:
Hall
Kite
LeStrange
Afamasanga

Have to agree with MG also on his comments last year our forwards led the way with their go forward the only 2 forwards that have showed mongrel so far are perry & king.

I think Neville Costigan is on the last year of his contract at Canberra, I know the guy can be a bit of a hothead but i reckon he could add a bit of mongrel to our forwards if we got him at the right price.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4