Mid season slump or.......?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
So chaps. Is this a mid season slump - something of a hiatus given the good exploits of the early part of the season. Will we play poorly for a few weeks before blowing the cobwebs out of the system?

Or is this a 2005 scenario - sides have worked us out and players are starting to carry injuries and we are going to struggle at the back end of the season?

A few thoughts:

Positives:

Cuthbertson and the alphabet boys were reasonable and must surely be putting pressure on our oirdinary bench.

Menzies can now return to the forwards where he belongs.

Origin distractions are over.

Negatives:

Des deson't have the balls to put Ballin in the top 17.

Orford's "slump" is no longer temporary. Either he is carrying injury, is in serious decline or just doesn't care.

Dare I say it:

This Saturday's game against the rorters is the most important of the year. We will have no excuses - we're at home, our Origin players are back and the Roosters are not really a Top 8 side.

If we can't beat them by 20 and find some form the month of July is going to be pretty ugly methinks.

Yep. I think it's a slump for most of the team & we'll pull through. BUT, Orford worries me. The only thing I can say in his favour is that he seems to have hit rock bottom & has been better in the last few weeks although still nowhere near where he needs to be.
If Ox can speed up his improvement & the rest of the boys can just tighten things up, we should be OK.
I'm a born pessimist. My motto is "Aim low & you'll never be disappointed".
Having said that, I really do think we have a very good team that can pull it together & do what they must.

I was fuming like never before after the game, but have received some news that puts it all into perspective tbh

After stepping back and assessing, i think we will be fine when we get everyone back and get a solid run at developing combinations. My main concern today was lack of enthusiasm shown for any lose ball on the ground.

I will still cling to that Melbourne game as my hope for the season, and the fact we have beaten the other sides near the top, Eels, Tigers, Titans etc

If we could put Monaghan's heart in Orford's body we may have a Premiership winning half.

There were patches there where I thought Monaghan was going to single-handedly win the game - not through skill, but just by being the only player giving 110%.

Im hoping it is just a little slump brought on by Origin. Hope is all I have got at the moment.

I am starting to get pretty worried I must admit, we cant afford to lose the next 2 with other teams closing the gap.

I think its a combination of Origin, coupled with other teams improving and working out our style of play.

It was only a matter of time before it happened.

That being said, we shouldn't go throwing in the towel just yet.

5 weeks ago we put a red hot Melbourne awayin the best game of regular round football I've seen in the last 3 or 4 years.

Once Des works out whats wrong I've got no doubt that the side will be back to that level.

3 of our last 4 as losses seems bad but lets remember that our winning run was also almost unheard of.

I'll just thank the football gods that we are sorting this problem out now and not week 1 of the finals.

5 weeks ago we put a red hot Melbourne awayin the best game of regular round football I've seen in the last 3 or 4 years.

Can you remind me who kicked the winning field goal in that game?

I've got no problem with Orford mata.

I seriously reckon the guys are being as hard on him as we were on Monaghan for so long.

It just seems ok when the shoe is on the other foot.

[quote author=fLIP]

Can you remind me who kicked the winning field goal in that game?

[/quote]

Was that field go worth $450k??

That's all we've got from Orford this year.

I seriously reckon the guys are being as hard on him as we were on Monaghan for so long.
\

soooo..............

In 2004 (7 Monaghan) we narrowly avoided the spoon and recorded our biggest ever loss.

In 2005 (7 Monaghan) we fell in a heap and recorded our biggest ever loss.

In 2006 (7 Orford) we were top 4 until Round 26 where we lost to the minor premiers at their home ground.

In 2007 (7 Orford) we are second with the 3rd placed side 4 points behind us.

Perspective please ladies.

In 2007 (7 Orford) we are second with the 3rd placed side 4 points behind us.

Perspective please ladies.

And look like a possible slide.

That is not perspective mata. Not 2/3 through a season.

We have a few dud players.

Bryant doesn't do anything and is a plodder. Burns is enthusiastic but doesn't know how to pass the ball or hold on to it when tackled.

Monnas means well but lacks pace for a dummy half. Saints dummy half runs were so much quicker than ours.

Our season is finished as the past 4 weeks have shown our lack of talent.

Cue fluffy.

2004/2005 line ups V 2006/2007line ups please.

2004:-

01. Andrew Walker
02. Scott Donald
03. Albert Torrens
04. Chris Hicks
05. John Hopoate
06. Jye Mullane
07. Michael Monaghan
08. Daniel Heckenberg
09. Chad Randall
10. Jason King
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Luke Williamson

14. Shayne Dunley
15. Soloman Huamono
16. Ian Donnelly
17. Sam Harris

from memory only that was versus

2007:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Steven Bell
05. Chris Hicks
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Michael Monaghan
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Travis Burns
15. George Rose
16. Mark Bryant
17. Luke Williamson

:lol:

Monas was steering a ford laser and Orford has a Clubsport at his disposal... and still we lose to the bottom 2 sides.

I don't want to get into a blaming the halves for a loss thing (even though i have a couple of types) It's more that IF Orford starts playing I know we can win this comp.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2