Mistakes more what cost us.....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Killer03

Bencher
Whilst I think we were out muscled and out enthused (especially in the first half). What really cost us was the mistakes, ie play of the ball errors, and then giving away silly penalties (like turning players around in the tackle).

Tonight was always a worry game for me. The dogs without halves were just going to tuck the ball under the arm and charge. Which they did quite well.

We did seem to get to grips but kept killing our own momentum.

And do linesmen actually adjudicate on forward passes any more???

I wasn't confident going into this game for multiple reasons, however coming out of a pretty heavy contest last week we were always going to be slow. The reshuffle of players really showed as well.

Hodges, didn't add any flare at all and I think I would have preferred we didnt blood him

Dan said:
I wasn't confident going into this game for multiple reasons, however coming out of a pretty heavy contest last week we were always going to be slow. The reshuffle of players really showed as well.

Hodges, didn't add any flare at all and I think I would have preferred we didnt blood him

I thought the addition of Hodges for Ballin was a mistake. At that point in the match I want my big guns on the field, and Matty is one of those.

Dan said:

I'll admit I was wrong. Always said put a hooker on the bench Tooves.

Totally agree he seemed really slow. Maybe that's because I see Matty as slow. But with Matty on the park in the last 10 directing things maybe the result would have been different.

Stick to the 4 forwards Tooves.

5 Manly Players falling off Inu is not a mistake, just bad technique.

Snake casual in goal swipe at a bouncing ball.and Hiku's chip, early in the tackle count, were serious mistakes :cool:

Pffft game plan
Less errors and smarter play we win that game
Littlejohn added no impact whatsoever
Horo was ordinary
Taking Ballin off was stupid
Matai hands like feet
Foran just dumb options
Lawrence turning into JWH ?
Kicking game was crap

Matai's hand were at his feet because Brett threw a stupid panic pass when it wasn't even the last.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Pffft game plan
Less errors and smarter play we win that game
Littlejohn added no impact whatsoever
Horo was ordinary
Taking Ballin off was stupid
Matai hands like feet
Foran just dumb options
Lawrence turning into JWH ?
Kicking game was crap
Well yeah, but apart from all that we were pretty good.

Hodges may have been better in the last 10 before halftime, not the last 8 mins of the game when a miracle was required. He buggered one fg situation. Tackle 4 on their line he ran from dummy half. That meant we had no good dummy half player on tackle 5 to get a good pass to a potential fg kicker.

Yeah errors and penalties in the 2 nd half killed us. We got sucked in to wrestling in tackles.

Not sure how we lots the penalties either given the dogs just lay in the ruck all night. As Tooves said in the press confidence it was very slow.

We have some good fire power down our right edge but we seem to over use the left , maybe its that littlejohn is shy and foz just over calls it 2 much . Apart from that we were terribly bad , compared 2 last week , also the dogs got away with a few shoulder charges

Just for completeness I want to add the 3 most blatant Pinkos mistakes.
1) Downtown rule requires the kicker to put his team, who had to be 10 meters away from the opposition Player, onside.
The Dogs had 4 offside players magically waved onside by the ball hitting Hiku - wrong

2) Ball travelling forward is a penalty
Ennis had to run forward to reach the ball thrown by his offside team mate - wrong

3) Shoulder charges need to be placed on report.
First shoulder charge was penalised, second not penalised. Neither went on report - wrong

HappilyManly said:
Just for completeness I want to add the 3 most blatant Pinkos mistakes.
1) Downtown rule requires the kicker to put his team, who had to be 10 meters away from the opposition Player, onside.
The Dogs had 4 offside players magically waved onside by the ball hitting Hiku - wrong

2) Ball travelling forward is a penalty
Ennis had to run forward to reach the ball thrown by his offside team mate - wrong

3) Shoulder charges need to be placed on report.
First shoulder charge was penalised, second not penalised. Neither went on report - wrong

The replay at the 17:53 minute mark of second shoulder charge on Starling was a double from both their 15 Tim Brown (left shoulder) and Graham (right shoulder). Neither of them were going for a legitimate tackle.

There was also a shoulder charge put on Matai at the 8:11 minute mark by their No11 Eastwood too which wasn't pulled up.

The Touchie also yelled out for a shoulder charge against Inu on Foran right on their 30m line at the 69:25 minute mark. Nothing else was said about that either.

The Refs need to learn this rule too:

Where opponents do not make a tackle effective in the
quickest possible manner but attempt to push, pull or
carry the player in possession, it is permissible for
colleagues of the tackled player to lend their weight in
order to avoid losing ground. Immediately this happens
the referee should call "Held"

At the 33:46 minute mark, Jamie Buhrer has the ball about 25m from our line and he is gang tackled and pushed back to about the 22m point when Matt Ballin steps in at the 33:49 minute mark to stop any progress with referee Dave Munro standing behind him watching but instead of calling "Held" as soon as Ballin became involved, he keeps stepping backwards and then off to one side and lets the Dogs players push Buhrer back to about the 11m mark.

I also noted that twice, our guys (JSL and Hiku) stood their ground at the tackle mark and were penalised by referee Maxwell.

Yep, and it's difficult to point out these nuances without sounding like we're whinging but they do influence the direction of a game, and sometimes the result, too often.

I doubt our blokes would whinge about the shoulder-charges, but that is the law of the land now.

And to penalize one and not the others, is what ultimately frustrates us all.

RiverEagle said:
Yep, and it's difficult to point out these nuances without sounding like we're whinging but they do influence the direction of a game, and sometimes the result, too often.

I doubt our blokes would whinge about the shoulder-charges, but that is the law of the land now.

And to penalize one and not the others, is what ultimately frustrates us all.

and I'm sure that if the roles were reversed and it was our guys doing it to the Dogs players then each of them would have been penalised and put on report or picked up by the MRC and penalised during the week.

You guys were not expecting us to have T-Rex at halfback. You guys were expecting the one-dimensional Ennis to be halfback.

Smart coaching by Dessie in the end. While you guys were outplayed, I think yous were outcoached.

Manly will be there... some of the errors they made last night won't happen again. You guys have a classy side and are the favourites for the minor premiership.

F*ck you're all so negative, if only how you knew how important DCE is to your side. Remember when you smashed us a couple of weeks ago when we were near full strength? Well DCE won yous that game single-handandly.

Manly vs Dogs GF, I love versing Manly because it always is such a tough game.

And no I'm not here to troll, don't you worry about that.

The majority of us aren't negative.

We have a handful of natural-born pessimists.

Regularly we have to endure their doomsday diatribes, and attempt to balance the books, as it were.

We'll definitely see you in September.

And it will be very different!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10