Monaghan: I'll hook when Orford signs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SilentBob

Bencher

By PETER BADEL
July 17, 2005
MANLY skipper Michael Monaghan believes the club has snared Matt Orford and is prepared to shift to hooker to accommodate the Storm halfback.

Despite recently agreeing to a new three-year deal, Monaghan's future at the club has been clouded after revelations Manly were making a big-money play for Orford.

In the past fortnight, the Manly halfback has expressed uncertainty about a positional switch if the club was to sign the City Origin playmaker.

But Monaghan now says he is willing to change and expects the Sea Eagles to announce Orford's signing this week.

"I think Matt is coming here, we're pretty close to the Central Coast (where Orford grew up). The situation looks good," Monaghan said.

"I haven't spoken to the club yet about the whole situation, but if Matt comes here, I'd assume he would be playing halfback.

"At first I was worried about my role, but now I'm happy to play wherever it suits the team.

"The options for me are to play five-eighth or hooker.

"At this stage, it appears I'll be moved to hooker and that's fine. I actually considered doing it at Canberra (his previous club), so if that's what I have to do to make room for Orford, so be it.

"But I prefer five-eighth to hooker and wouldn't mind playing there."

Monaghan, 25, has had a turbulent past three months at Manly. It began with the club refusing to table him a new deal in June, only to backflip 24 hours later and sign him after the intervention of club owner Max Delmege.

Despite the saga, Monaghan insists he has no intention to ask for a release if the club snares Orford.

"I'm not interested in playing halfback for another club. I like this club and want to stay here," Monaghan said.

http://www.sundaytelegraph.news.com.au

Finally - he says sensible stuff. I just wish he'd said this all along.

And for all those who think that the club's publicist is writing these quotes for him - it doesnt matter as long as he doesn't say other things to the press I am happy for the publicist to write all his commments.

there you have it.

Just let the guy play pressure less football.. hes got enough pressure he doesnt need the fans to throw more on him.

Its like you lot give up in 2005. I want us to make the semis. It might be impossible but we can at least try and hope.

I hope Monas does play 5/8 if Orford signs.

gee.thanks mick.imagine that.a player saying he will play where the coach wants.unheard of.get on with it mate by playing the house down today.a good performance by yourself and the team today would put us in a great position with last nights results.

Still crapping on about not having talked to the club. Has someone cut out his tongue, only for the media to glue it back in when they want a rent a quote?

So you managed to find one thing in that article that wasn't to your like, better than a dozen I suppose.

Monas must be warming to you :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4