Monaghan is pleading for a fair go

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Eagle

First Grader
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/monaghan-dont-take-my-livelihood-away-20101106-17i58.html

JOEL MONAGHAN has broken his silence on that ''moment of madness'', pleading with league officials not to end his career.

Monaghan created headlines worldwide after a photograph of him simulating a sex act with a dog was published on the internet.

The Canberra, NSW and Australian centre unreservedly apologised for a prank which could spell the end of a promising career.

''I don't want to lose my livelihood over a stupid prank that will stay with me for the rest of my life,'' Monaghan told The Sun-Herald. ''I accept total responsibility for what happened. It was a moment of madness and while it was totally out of character, I have to cop the consequences.

''I'm disappointed that the photo was distributed but I should never have put myself in that situation.

''It's something I will have to live with for the rest of my life. I just want to take this opportunity to unreservedly again apologise to the club, the fans, the game and community.''

The Raiders are likely to terminate Monaghan's contract at a board meeting tomorrow after a backlash from sponsors. The NRL is considering deregistering the 28-year-old but will allow the club to deal with the matter in the first instance.

''I don't want to go into the details but it was a dumb thing that was done and the incident was a set-up, nothing actually happened as some have suggested,'' Monaghan said.

''I don't want to be remembered just for this. I have proudly represented my home town of Canberra, and then NSW and Australia. I understand the embarrassment this has caused the club and the game but I don't want it to end like this.

''If I'm given an opportunity to continue my career, I'll do everything in my power to redeem myself.

''I really don't believe that this is all I should be remembered for; I am just a normal everyday person who has put himself in a dumb position and because of the social media medium, my family and I have to pay a huge personal price.''

Monaghan described confronting his family about the incident as ''the hardest thing I've ever had to do''.

''Those conversations will remain private, but it's fair to say we're all doing it tough at the moment,'' he said. ''I'm just so sorry that I've put them through this because they don't deserve it.''

Monaghan has been working closely with life coach Charlie Hunter, the woman who helped Todd Carney turn his life around following a series of off-field misdemeanours. The first step in the rehabilitation process following the ''mad Monday'' prank is a total ban on alcohol.

''I'm still coming to grips with what has happened,'' Monaghan said. ''But I just want to say that I will never let myself or the fans down like this ever again.

''I'd love the opportunity to play again but respect that the situation is out of my hands at the moment.

''I'm in the process of getting counselling at the moment: the first step I took was the decision a short time ago to stop drinking and we're talking about the steps I'll need to take to put this behind me.

''I'm deeply embarrassed and want to do whatever is required to try to make it right.

''I am eternally grateful for the support I have received from many senior figures in the game who got in touch with me and have helped me through the last few days with advice and just giving support.'' Hunter hoped the game of rugby league would give Monaghan the opportunity to redeem himself.

''The hardest part for any of the guys to deal with in this situation is the public perception, which is often dreadfully misrepresented,'' she said.

''It's not to say that it's not mendable, you only have to look at Todd [Carney] now.

''But they are the internal demons that you need to work with.''

Profile of a joker
Name Joel Monaghan

Born April 22, 1982

Height 190cm

Weight 102kg

Position Centre/winger

NRL debut Raiders v Panthers, Round 10, 2001, Penrith Football Stadium

Test debut 2008 World Cup against New Zealand, October 26, 2008, Sydney Football Stadium

NRL matches 173

Tries 92

Tests 5

Origins 2 for NSW

Its pretty unaustralian for him not to get one over a poor joke in my opinion
He didnt endanger lives,besides that of his own member
Todd Carney endangered lives with drink driving
as did Tony Williams and countless others
Nate Miles **** in a hallway
Watmough hit a sponsor after saying dispicable things to his daughter
Don Mackinnon pissed ON THE FIELD!!!
Gallen pissed in public,as did others

Monaghan wasnt even in public and him and to a greater extent his brother
have done more for the public than most players would even dream of doing
but because they arent big names,they dont get the mentions that real stars
do

For gods sake punish him,but dont finish him
Fine the moron,do something,just not that
Anyone not get the point?

His "evil" is more like the diet coke of evil
But you watch Gallop and his posse with the knee jerk reactions
Probably a year suspension,at 28 ends his career
Or a life ban from Gallop upheld by the RLIF

Yeah, I think it's pretty piss-weak to take the guy's career away from him simply because he's an idiot. It was a prank, an extremely stupid one, and he'll be paying for it for the rest of his life. But it's typical of Gallop to panic and demand his head to appease "our moral guardians" in the media.

Ron E. Gibbs link said:
Yeah, I think it's pretty piss-weak to take the guy's career away from him simply because he's an idiot. It was a prank, an extremely stupid one, and he'll be paying for it for the rest of his life. But it's typical of Gallop to panic and demand his head to appease \"our moral guardians\" in the media.

To be fair, if Gallop didn't sack him, sponsors would walk, there would be an outcry in the media and fans would cry about the uneven level of disciple across different situations. No player is above the future of his club, if his actions put the future of his club or the NRL at risk financially then he needs to be dealt with. The guy did a dumb thing, and if I did the same as a representative of my workplace and it was all over the net I would be sacked.

So would anyone else I imagine.

This isn't like the B.Stewart situation at all, although I know a lot of people are saying that he should be treated the same. This guy should be thrown out, not because what he did was so bad it is unforgivable, but because his lack of judgment was so profound. His behavior doesn't befit someone paid to represent his club. How could he ever pull on his jersey again, and walk out in front of fans without feeling a complete and utter idiot, best for him to head to french rugby and have a run where no-one knows his name.

Unfortunately for him at any club he joins overseas the fans are going to google info about the new player, and guess whats going to come up

Moondog link said:
Unfortunately for him at any club he joins overseas the fans are going to google info about the new player, and guess whats going to come up

The Super League Club's already know about it.
I reckon he'll end up at either Warrington or Crusaders

Personally I think the media reaction is over the top and media should take a big breath. And at some point a footy club should stand up to sponsors and do what they think it is right (i.e. if they want to fire him because that's what they think is right that's fine - but if its just about the sponsor's money I think its a bit soft). Sponsors that quit are often just after getting their name in the press (i.e. advertising) or are looking for an out anyway.

He's screwed, trial by media and they've already found him guilty.

His stupidity ranks pretty low on the scale of drink driving, girlfriend bashing and hallway sh!tting that others have gotten away with....but because all the sponsors are too scared to not condemn him (let alone just a simple "no comment") then he is a dead man walking. Doubt he'll even get a start in ESL. Feel sorry for him.

Chip & Chase link said:
He's screwed, trial by media and they've already found him guilty.

His stupidity ranks pretty low on the scale of drink driving, girlfriend bashing and hallway sh!tting that others have gotten away with....but because all the sponsors are too scared to not condemn him (let alone just a simple \"no comment\") then he is a dead man walking. Doubt he'll even get a start in ESL. Feel sorry for him.
ditto that.

I heard that Joel was asked to undergo off-season drugtesting, but was confused when asked to leave a sample in the lab...

Rusty link said:
To be fair, if Gallop didn't sack him, sponsors would walk ...

Is that true?

If the photo was a simulation as stated, which seems undisputed, then what is Monaghan really guilty of?  Bad taste? Having friends who showed poor judgement in distributing prank photos?

Here's the REAL problem.  Gallop is as weak as. A strong leader wouldn't knee-jerk react.  And his continual knee-jerking merely gives credibility to distorted perceptions, worst-case scenarios, and media beat-ups.  And THAT's what makes sponsors walk.  A true leader would respond to solid facts not flakey perceptions and media headlines.

Rex,

You need to read what a senior figure from Canberra Milk said in the Saturday SMH. Essentially they would be reviewing their arrangements with the Raiders if Monaghan wasn't given the flick.

That's the major sponsor talking.

Phantar link said:
Rex,

You need to read what a senior figure from Canberra Milk said in the Saturday SMH. Essentially they would be reviewing their arrangements with the Raiders if Monaghan wasn't given the flick.

That's the major sponsor talking.

Phantar,

Who has created the environment where media allegations and suggestions are automatically treated as proven and disgraceful facts?  Gallop.

Who turned the now discredited allegations against Stewart into a situation where Stewart's name was continually associated with the word "disgraced"?  Gallop.  Agreed?

And what was Stewart's supposed disgrace? Having a few drinks and catching a cab home.  No more.  Media hype, fueled by Gallop, not fact.

A leader pumps water, not petrol, on flames. And if the leader habitually pumps petrol rather than water, then obviously sponsors will desperately run for cover at the first flicker of flames.

He was captured for the world to see in what most people would see as a distasteful act. There it is - and the judgement is easy. Criticise the photographer, criticise who you like but it is not a good look no matter how you view it. If any thinks getting a blowjob from a dog is ok then they are probably seriously mistaken. Sorry for Joel, sorry for his friends and family, but that is just sick ****.

ManlyBacker link said:
He was captured for the world to see in what most people would see as a distasteful act. There it is - and the judgement is easy. Criticise the photographer, criticise who you like but it is not a good look no matter how you view it. If any thinks getting a blowjob from a dog is ok then they are probably seriously mistaken. Sorry for Joel, sorry for his friends and family, but that is just sick s**t.

Are you saying you've never made a joke in poor taste while drunk?
If you have never made a stupid poor taste joke then you've never really lived,it doesnt have to be about a dog,it could be a photobomb or something else obscene,do you think you should have lost all chances of employment due to it?

Get off that high horse and slap its ass,they are more harm than good

Shane link said:
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=185911.msg305181#msg305181 date=1289129324]
He was captured for the world to see in what most people would see as a distasteful act. There it is - and the judgement is easy. Criticise the photographer, criticise who you like but it is not a good look no matter how you view it. If any thinks getting a blowjob from a dog is ok then they are probably seriously mistaken. Sorry for Joel, sorry for his friends and family, but that is just sick s**t.

Are you saying you've never made a joke in poor taste while drunk?
If you have never made a stupid poor taste joke then you've never really lived,it doesnt have to be about a dog,it could be a photobomb or something else obscene,do you think you should have lost all chances of employment due to it?

Get off that high horse and slap its ass,they are more harm than good
[/quote]

But any poor decisions I have made didn't make it all over the world. And BTW it is about a dog. If you support that sort of thing have a good long look in the mirror. Woof.

If he actually let the dog have a lick then it's terrible and he has serious issues. If it was just a staged photo, no licking involved then I hope he isn't deregistered.

I personally questioned the legitimacy of the pic when I first saw it - maybe it was a plastic dog and a Mad Monday lark. But no, Joel now admits it was a real dog in a 'simulated' shot. Right. Seeya.

Who cares even if it did happen?

As long as it's not my balls, I don't care.

Actually I'd go so far as to say that as long as it's not my balls, it's pretty funny.

As said previously, this is nothing compared to the drink driving, wife beating & all those serious matters. I'm sure a lot of footy players have lit their flatulance, tea bagged, shaved eyebrows off, drawn on passed out people, locked people outside etc, etc. Let's hope the photos don't come out.
Get some perspective MB. The country lifestyle must be turning you puritanical.

Even if a dog hypothetically licked a footballers' genitals ... shock horror ... the dog wouldn't be harmed.  They do that to other dogs all the time.

Of course, what this hysteria is really about is "harm" to people's sensitivities. Breaking taboos. Walk past the homeless without lifting a finger to help? Naturally.  Kill mice, cochroaches and mosquitos? Go for it.  Bomb some Middle-Eastern kids? Collateral damage. A prank photo of a dog near a footballers' nether regions? The sky is falling.

I'd find it pretty sick if licking occurred, but then I also find it sickening when people let dogs lick them on the lips after watching them licking their (The dog's) anus.  Lot more sickness in this world than this little triviality.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7