Monday Night Football the Missing Opportunity

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

CAMBO

Reserve Grader
Reading threads about brookvale and the club discounting tickets on Monday night made think about the opportunity to promote the game that the clubs and the NRL to a greater extent are missing.

Like most on here and other league fans I'm in different to Monday night fixtures but will watch anyway either on TV or at the ground when I can. So the clubs and the game are wasting marketing dollars targeting advertising at our demographic.

Lets change tact for a minute
Think back 15 years ago and think about places like Video shops, chain pizza brands and cinemas, Tuesday nights were one of their slowest nights of the week so what did they do? They "cheap tues" or "tight arse tues" go any to any video store, cinema or retail pizza shop on a Tuesday night and you will find its now their highest volume night of their week matching and in most cases exceeding Friday and the weekend.

How did they do it? The attracted new people to their business by heavily discounting the product/service on a Tuesday in most cases discounting by 50%

So what does this have to do with Monday Night football? Imagine if the NRL subsided every clubs home Monday night fixtures so the home club could offer tickets to the general public at half price or less. In Manly's case $12.50 for a GA ticket, the crowds would come for the same reason movie cinemas are packed every Tuesday, VALUE. You would find the substantial amount would be coming to the game for the first time or going to their first game for quiet awhile.

People can say the clubs need to actively promote the games etc but the NRL need to remember that Monday night is not a traditional time slot for the game and it only exists for pay television as a key component of the billion dollar tv deal so they as an organisation need to redirect someone of that money back in to getting bums on seats on a Monday night.

Nobody likes Monday night football. Players fans clubs the only ones that do is fox for the sales it might generate. 1st thing to do is give an even amount of MNF then look at the financial issues around lost revenue.

Good thread Cam and I know you know it works,

It's maybe worth supporters noting that the Sea Eagles are pretty much doing what you suggest now with the 3 match member pass? (Selling at $65 for adults, $45 concession or $160 family.)

Sure….not half price (Or “Miser Monday”) for GA but then again we’ve only got 2 more Monday night games at home? (This Mondays Roosters game (and why sell cheap a game like that?) and then the Eels in round 17 (Monday 8th July))

But…..If you look at the games coming up then a 3 match pass for people who are not currently members is an attractive option you’d think?

Just on the published games? (Let alone the final 6 rounds leading in to the semi’s and then pre-sale options for semis and finals tickets?) It’s worth looking at?

At an average of around $21 a game for an adult or $53 for a family of 4 for a game – Gosh… (!) I’d sponsor the neighbour’s kids to get the discounted rate for some of these games….? -

You can choose from……
- Roosters this Monday,
- A Saturday night game against the Raiders (25th May)
- The Dogs on a Friday night (14th June) – Many of the MWTS (including your good self I believe…?) will be backing up from the NZ tour the week before so will be primed and ready to welcome the Dogs back to the Fortress….)
- The Titans on the 21st July (Yee Haa! – A Sunday arvo 3.00pm KO game!!!)

Plus, If those games don’t suit then we’re still to hear the dates/times of the last few home games
V Warriors (weekend of the 9-12th August), Our old “friends” Storm (Weekend of 30th Aug to Sep 2nd) and the final game before the semis…The Panthers (weekend of Sept 6th – 9th)

So, a mixed bunch of dates but the potential of some great games and having seen the queues for walk ups on games days then well worth getting in early and making some plans…?

Of course, the other benefits (walk up, get in and no waiting…..10% discount on Merchandise, pre-sale tickets for the semi’s and all of this … http://www.seaeagles.com.au/memberbenefits) make it a pretty decent offer? – let alone knowing all the cash goes towards supporting our team…?)

See here to sign up or get more details....

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/2013packagesv2#whiteWings3

By the way…. it would of course be remiss of me to not to remind supporters of the importance of renewing or selecting the upgrade option offered for Football Club membership from your MWSE membership (see here for the goals of the FC http://www.manlyfootballclub.com.au/index.php/goals)

Alternatively, You can renew or join by clicking on the “Membership” tab from that site…

If you’re still not sure of the make-up of the owner group of your team or why Football Club membership is important to you as a passionate supporter then have a look at “MWSE family” tab from the site above for an insight and also an interesting timeline map of how our club has “evolved”

You missed Cam's point, Vidmar.

He said to market NOT to the usual market.

Not by selling a ticket for $65 but to sell it for $10.
Sure we have the 3 x game pass for $65 and that is really good value but difficult to sell/ promote to punters outside the League world.

What's done now is like closing Lanes 1, 2 & 3 of a swimming pool because of the water shortage!

while not offering 50% discount for tickets as you suggest, non members can get a discount on monday nights game of approx 30%. which shows that manly has put some thought into attracting extra supporters to the game monday night.
the nrl might not be thinking of ways to attract extra supporters to a monday night game but at least our club is.

In the Manly Warringah area a lot of supermarkets have shop a dockets offering 2 for 1 deals for Manly General Admission tickets, so if you took that up you are only paying $10 for Adults tickets for this Monday's night game. so there are some good local promotions occurring.

Cam, excellent points!! You are so right in getting the non participant in. At $10 bucks there would be people go who may have not been before. Vid, we need a cheap 1 GAME PACKAGE. Newbies aren't going to fork out $65 and fill in paperwork. They may hate it and don't want to pay $65! $10 at the gate and see what happens. Market it locally outside on Pittwater road and I reckon they will come.

Most non fans at $20-25 bucks may give it a miss. Down here in the Gong, the Basketball Hawks have a cheap family ticket for $55 but guess what, our numbers never really grow. It's just the hardcores (like Manly) Yet, Gong fans rave about the Basketball when they do go but at $55 they only go once.

I am finding it hard to justify $80-100 for myself to go to Brookie anymore. With 2 kids and a mortgage some (30 year) hardcores like me aren't going and we need to get in a new generation. Unfortunately the new gens aren't as committed as before. I used to catch a train, ferry and bus to get to Brookie every home game and a return trip took me 6 hours (lol) Can't believe I used to do it. This is where the NRL should help! Bit like AFL do!

Thursday night footy was a thousand times better

Daniel said:
Thursday night footy was a thousand times better

I agree and surely with the NRL scheduling 20 rounds in advance we could have Thursday night footy for most of the season as long as the ensured clubs had a minimum of 5 days between games and didn't have Thursday games the day after origin.

You would think it would suit Channel 9 like really how many people stay up and watch the whole second game on a Friday night. They could have a live Thursday and a live Friday night game.

Not sure what the current deal is but from memory the NRL gives each club 40k for a monday night home game. So the NRL does something I suppose. Any more needs to be from the club you would think

vidmar said:
Good thread Cam and I know you know it works,

It's maybe worth supporters noting that the Sea Eagles are pretty much doing what you suggest now with the 3 match member pass? (Selling at $65 for adults, $45 concession or $160 family.)

Sure….not half price (Or “Miser Monday”) for GA but then again we’ve only got 2 more Monday night games at home? (This Mondays Roosters game (and why sell cheap a game like that?) and then the Eels in round 17 (Monday 8th July))

But…..If you look at the games coming up then a 3 match pass for people who are not currently members is an attractive option you’d think?

Just on the published games? (Let alone the final 6 rounds leading in to the semi’s and then pre-sale options for semis and finals tickets?) It’s worth looking at?

At an average of around $21 a game for an adult or $53 for a family of 4 for a game – Gosh… (!) I’d sponsor the neighbour’s kids to get the discounted rate for some of these games….? -

You can choose from……
- Roosters this Monday,
- A Saturday night game against the Raiders (25th May)
- The Dogs on a Friday night (14th June) – Many of the MWTS (including your good self I believe…?) will be backing up from the NZ tour the week before so will be primed and ready to welcome the Dogs back to the Fortress….)
- The Titans on the 21st July (Yee Haa! – A Sunday arvo 3.00pm KO game!!!)

Plus, If those games don’t suit then we’re still to hear the dates/times of the last few home games
V Warriors (weekend of the 9-12th August), Our old “friends” Storm (Weekend of 30th Aug to Sep 2nd) and the final game before the semis…The Panthers (weekend of Sept 6th – 9th)

So, a mixed bunch of dates but the potential of some great games and having seen the queues for walk ups on games days then well worth getting in early and making some plans…?

Of course, the other benefits (walk up, get in and no waiting…..10% discount on Merchandise, pre-sale tickets for the semi’s and all of this … http://www.seaeagles.com.au/memberbenefits) make it a pretty decent offer? – let alone knowing all the cash goes towards supporting our team…?)

See here to sign up or get more details....

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/2013packagesv2#whiteWings3

By the way…. it would of course be remiss of me to not to remind supporters of the importance of renewing or selecting the upgrade option offered for Football Club membership from your MWSE membership (see here for the goals of the FC http://www.manlyfootballclub.com.au/index.php/goals)

Alternatively, You can renew or join by clicking on the “Membership” tab from that site…

If you’re still not sure of the make-up of the owner group of your team or why Football Club membership is important to you as a passionate supporter then have a look at “MWSE family” tab from the site above for an insight and also an interesting timeline map of how our club has “evolved”

So many questions, not sure which one to answer?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4