More on Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Just been reading the paper and another matai article in there, not online yet though

In this one, his scummy manager has started talking the Sharks up as a possible destination as well

I won't type the whole thing out, but here are some quotes from his manager

*Warriors and Manly have both tabled 2 year deals, along with Cronulla

*"The Sharks see him as an enforcer and intimidating player. There are not too many enforcers in Rugby League but he is certainly one of them"

*Steve hasn't been to Auckland yet "He just basically needs to find the time to get over there. He's got to work the trip in between his training commitments"

* Orr dismissed suggestions he was only courting the Warriors to boost Matai's price at Manly "I think he is a chance of signing with the Warriors. I know the CEO Wayne Scurrah and coach Ivan Cleary really well and if he wasn't interested in going home to New Zealand I wouldnn't be wasting their time. It's just a case, I think, of whether he wants to leave the club that he's had success with and that has given him his opportunity or head home. He is waiting to see what Manly are doing and where they are going. If they don't come up with a decent deal then, obviously, he'll look elsewhere"

From Wayne Scurrah "The whole Matai situation is pretty much where it was 2 weeks ago. We've expressed an interest, I think Manly have made him a final offer and now he is going to sit back and consider whether he wants to come across and have a chat. We haven't gone cold on it but we are keen to know where we are"

I could be wrong, but i get the feeling he will be staying. It seems to me that his manager is milking the eagles for all he can get. I can't blame him for that, that's his job. I couldn't see him joining Cronulla. How could you go from a consistent semi final team to a consistent bottom dweller, unless it was for big money of course.

If we've tabled him a 2 year offer, surely we could give him an option of a 3rd year?? That might just about get the deal done IMO.

The skarks have pulled out

Manly has offered him a 3yr deal while the warriors have offered him a 2yr deal.

the warriors have offered more money that manly have.

You can't blame his manager trying to get the best deal for him!

Matai is only 25, a 3 year deal wouldn't be that bad. Lets hope he puts pen to paper soon.

Play three more years for us then off to England.  That seems to be the exit strategy for many of our players.  And not a bad one either.  I'd bet that Anthony Toupu is sorry he didn't come to us when we offered.  Went to where he thought a premiership lay.  Silly thinking that Stuart would get them there. 

Fingers crossed, I reckon "Shoulders" has a few more years left in him yet...agree 3 years and then ESL would be a great bet for him

Canteen Worker link said:
Des said on the ABC on Sunday arvo that Manly were confident of retaining Matai!!

As time goes on and I read more stuff I am more confident he will stay

I think his partner being due to give birth may be a factor in keeping him if she is an Aussie girl

Take the Sharks deal Steve.

It will be a great career move. Look at Tupou for a example of what happens to rep careers at the Sharks

Sharks cant get anybody there - even Barrett now tipped to go to the Eels.

They will pay him world to go there but his career will go nowhere

He won't go to the Sharks if he is a smart man. Options Manly, Warriors, Sharks, why would he go to the sharks no matter how much they were offering. I can see them becoming the new Canberra.

Rambo1987 link said:

Barrett has purchased a house in Temora, and I am tipping he has a season in Group 9.

bob dylan link said:
[quote author=Rambo1987 link=topic=184143.msg276625#msg276625 date=1279535987]

Barrett has purchased a house in Temora, and I am tipping he has a season in Group 9.
[/quote]

They will improve now Stuart is gone, but then how could they not.

Just found this tagged onto the end of an article

Scurrah confirmed the Warriors had put a two-year contract offer to Manly Sea Eagles centre Steve Matai, who may come over to have a look around the club this week.

\"Hopefully we progress that this week,\" Scurrah said. \"It's a wait and see on that at the moment.

\"He's probably favoured to stay at Manly at this stage. But who knows what will happen.\"

Source:http://sportal.co.nz/league-news-display/blair-wants-nz-return-95115

"Hopefully we progress that this week," Scurrah said. "It's a wait and see on that at the moment.

"He's probably favoured to stay at Manly at this stage. But who knows what will happen."

Source:http://sportal.co.nz/league-news-display/blair-wants-nz-return-95115 [/quote]
[/quote]

Thats good news if its true.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7