More whacky NRL rule changes adopted today!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
:p wtf? Scrum penalty you can kick at goal from? A phasing in of rule changes? If both teams fail to turn up for the scrum then a penalty goes to one anyway & they can kick for goal!!!

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-rule-changes--scrums-and-dropouts/tabid/10874/newsid/72398/default.aspx

Fans can expect to see even more action in Telstra Premiership matches with the NRL today announcing new guidelines that will reduce time-wasting.

The introduction of a maximum time limit for the forming of scrums follows recommendations from the NRL Competition Committee, with statistics showing that an average of eight minutes per match was being lost packing scrums.

The Committee also found that the 40-second time limit for drop-outs was excessive with the limit to be reduced to 30 seconds.

Under the new scrum guidelines for the Telstra Premiership and Holden Cup:

Both competing teams must be properly bound and be ready to pack into the scrum 30 seconds after the head referee has blown his whistle to indicate that play is to restart with a scrum;

After the expiration of 30 seconds, and in the event that only one side is bound and ready to pack into the scrum, they will be awarded a penalty (not a differential) at the centre where the scrum was to have packed;

In the event that no side is bound and ready to pack into the scrum, the side with the loose head and feed will receive the penalty (not a differential);

If, in the opinion of the referee, the restart is being delayed due to the circumstances of the game the referee may call time off.

While Match Officials will begin to instruct players as to the new guidelines starting this week, penalties in matches for breaches will start being awarded from Round 15.

“This is a great example of the Competition Committee identifying an issue in the game and acting quickly to address it,” NRL General Manager of Football Operations, Mr Nathan McGuirk, said today.

“Due to the fact these changes are to be introduced a third of the way through a season, we believe that a period of adjustment for players and officials to this amendment is required, which is why penalties will not be enforced until the start of Round 15.

“We hope this period will allow the players and officials to familiarise themselves with the changes.”

What about the time wasting refs that are obsessed with getting the players to pack scrums exactly how they want them packed and stand there yelling at the players to stand back and re-pack the scrum 3-4 times,

The reduction of time allowed before a goal line drop out will help teams that have forced the line drop-out, and it will hinder teams that are based on a brick wall defence to defend repeat sets - such as us.

Therefore we'd better practice getting a few more drop-outs ourselves, because the change will make defence even harder.

Why don't they just stop the clock for kicks at goal instead? They waste more time than anything else.

They should also slow teams to take an immediate drop out and if any players are off side they must retreat to the in goal before getting involved in the play.

The scrum one will result in players feigning injury, as in union. What's the problem at the moment. I don't detect a groundswell of noise demanding these ridiculous changes. Christ I detest these idiots who demand change for changes sake.

About time. ****s me to tears when one side is trying to take an advantage and the other are ball and chaining it. Get the stick out.

I actually dont mind it for viewing purposes. Lets be honest, without fa'aso, king and gnulovao our team is relativly small and mobile so should be able to handle this.

All this aside a quick game is a good game :)

Could potentially make captains complain even more to the ref's to get them to blow time off to give players extra time to get to the scrums/rest.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6