Most tries this year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Shoe1

Journey Man
According to NRL stats Manly has scored the most tries this year
http://www.nrl.com/telstrapremiership/clubstats/tabid/10254/default.aspx

We have 89, cowboys next on 87, storm on 85. Despite the hype over souths scoring over 100 points in two games, they are only on 79.

Who'd have thought, three of the top 4 teams can score tries??

What next, someone is going to come out and say our defense is up there in the top few as well??

News Flash: if you go out in the rain you might get wet.

It is interesting.. we havent really put 40+ on many teams this year either.

We just consistently get to 20+

Fro said:
Who'd have thought, three of the top 4 teams can score tries??

What next, someone is going to come out and say our defense is up there in the top few as well??

News Flash: if you go out in the rain you might get wet.

Touche. Sigh

brookiegreg said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
But but but, our attack isn't flowing or cohesive and we are using the corridors too much

KE as long as they use the corridor to the tryline I'm happy :D
As long as Nate Myles hasn't been in the corridor beforehand I'd say it's not such a bad thing.

brookiegreg said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
But but but, our attack isn't flowing or cohesive and we are using the corridors too much

KE as long as they use the corridor to the tryline I'm happy :D

Cant pass left to right either. All of those tries must have been on the other side I suppose.

I stated our attack will work against 95% of teams ---if your happy about that and we come up against an in form Dragons team in the G/F and offer the same attack we will end up with the same result. You can't say i did not state before the Dragons game our attack had to improve and we did bugger all in the red zone(we matched the Dragons from 20m to 20m though and the result was not an indicator of the closeness of the game)

Manly in the redzone this year offered no better or worse than a heavily depleted Manly in the Qtrs last year even though we have a better halves combination.

By the looks of things the Dragons may not make the G/F so we should all be happy our structures work most of the time and we still win the G/F---still does not make me at present happy with the situation but for the majority here it's more than enough----a win is a win in most peoples eyes.

I prefer to look at the worst case scenario and see if we are setting ourselves up to defeat the best if it comes to that situation---its not about saying "oh we scored more tries than any other team we must be doing something right" ---its about doing the right things when it counts.

Take the Dragons for example---you can be a happy supporter and say yeah we have the best defense that has ever existed in the game and its rewarded us with a g/f but if your attack does not improve enough those hard grinding games will take its toll. Never rated the Dragons attack and now with the lack of intensity and enthusiasm their overly structured over-used plays are not enough to get them out of trouble.

Still at their defensive best they are the benchmark but i would not be a happy supporter in relation to their attack.

TC, I agree there is always room for improvement. I also believe Des has experienced a fair bit in his time as a coach. Firstly he is fully aware of what strengths and weakenss he has at his disposal( this is old ground for us) He is equally aware of what his team needs to be, to beat the other 15 teams. These are the improvements most important to the success of Manly this year. Manly need to beat the storm, bronx and dragons once in october not the globe trotters in may.

In the modern era no team goes through undefeated and never will. All teams have purple patches and patches of disaapointment. The masterful coaches know ho to pace the squad and have them peak at the right end of the season( this takes experience). The juggling act is getting their team to a strong position throughout the regular season, to capitalise when and if the opportunity is presented. So this is why the casual observer will take a win anyday reagardless of how beautiful it may seem.

Every season is an opportunity. Dont ge so hung up with teaching and maybe you can learn sommething yourself about a football season rather than a game.

The real game is 10 months long mate, not weekly. Its about the war not the battles. Most believed Manly would only win battles this year and not be in the race for the big one. At this point they are, and good player management and coaching has been an integrel part of that .

Best post i've seen in a long long time jbb.

Not saying we'll win the GF but we're in a good position. Most of the team are healthy and anything can happen from here.

jbb/james said:
TC, I agree there is always room for improvement. I also believe Des has experienced a fair bit in his time as a coach. Firstly he is fully aware of what strengths and weakenss he has at his disposal( this is old ground for us) He is equally aware of what his team needs to be, to beat the other 15 teams. These are the improvements most important to the success of Manly this year. Manly need to beat the storm, bronx and dragons once in october not the globe trotters in may.

In the modern era no team goes through undefeated and never will. All teams have purple patches and patches of disaapointment. The masterful coaches know ho to pace the squad and have them peak at the right end of the season( this takes experience). The juggling act is getting their team to a strong position throughout the regular season, to capitalise when and if the opportunity is presented. So this is why the casual observer will take a win anyday reagardless of how beautiful it may seem.

Every season is an opportunity. Dont ge so hung up with teaching and maybe you can learn sommething yourself about a football season rather than a game.

The real game is 10 months long mate, not weekly. Its about the war not the battles. Most believed Manly would only win battles this year and not be in the race for the big one. At this point they are, and good player management and coaching has been an integrel part of that .

Observing current form and making positive or negative observations on playing structures does not mean your an optimist by nature or a pessimist who is demanding perfection every game not fully appreciating the long term plan in having the tools to be competitive at the end of the season.

The last 6 weeks of the season Dessie will be isolating our weak points and working at fine tuning our game. As a result performances will fluctuate quite a bit during this period of fine tuning and increased training intensity but it should not stop anyone from having an opinion on current performances.

Unlike some here i don't get cut up big if we lose---i enjoy watching the finer points of the game more than the end result and choose to make a contribution in the style i do.

To me being negative and not appreciating the bigger picture is when a writer puts down a player or coach without making constructive well thought out reasons why they think that way----i never put down players unlike others here.

This line "Firstly he is fully aware of what strengths and weaknesses he has at his disposal( this is old ground for us) He is equally aware of what his team needs to be, to beat the other 15 teams." basically suggests we should all have blind faith in all our coaches and to never question their methods.(no point having a forum then just watch the game and enjoy the show)

Even if we win the G/F its not a "i told you so moment"--you can win a G/F having many flaws---winning in any game should not stop anyone from making a well thought out observation either side of the fence . We all comment on current and future games does not make us too short sighted or too long sighted just take each post for what it is and move on.

TC, I think you'll find after the '07 GF and in '08 it seemed like we'd never beat the Storm but........

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6