Mr David Perry - Food situation at Brookie is a disgrace!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

KJEagle

Dear Mr Perry,

I am a lifelong Manly supporter. have been a member of the club for several years and have the proverbial one maroon and one white eye.

The food situation at Brookie is totally unacceptable for 2 reasons:

1. When we attempted to enter the ground (cnr Pine and Pittwater) the security guards confiscated a packet of chips and threw them into a large yellow bin already full of similar packets. No pre-packaged/commercial food allowed in we were told. I can understand McDonalds etc however this is totally unacceptable for the following reasons:
- In the last 14 months we have done similar at Brookie, ANZ, Allianz, MCG and SCG and never had chips confiscated.
- The catering at Brookie is woeful and was even worse than usual on Saturday night so I do not see what right the club has to confiscate a kids snack.

2. To make matters worse my kids then observed others eating chips, donuts and all manner of pre-packaged food - some of it carried in in clear plastic bags.

2. The food and beverage queues for an average crowd at the Fulton Menzies End were very long and slow.

The heavy handed and frankly ridiculous policy was all the talk around our area of the ground. For a community club like the Sea Eagles which is trying to attract new members it is just not accceptable.

I will be taking it up with the club directly as well. Over to you Mr Perry.

Thanks,
KJEagle

You probably would have been better off emailing the club. To be honest I can't remember a time when you could take your own food or drink (except water) into a ground or any public place that is catered.

I regularly take vegemite sandwiches, apples, popcorn etc to the game when there with the kids (day games) - never had a problem.

If the policy has changed I need to know about it.

KJEagle said:
Dear Mr Perry,

I am a lifelong Manly supporter. have been a member of the club for several years and have the proverbial one maroon and one white eye.

The food situation at Brookie is totally unacceptable for 2 reasons:

1. When we attempted to enter the ground (cnr Pine and Pittwater) the security guards confiscated a packet of chips and threw them into a large yellow bin already full of similar packets. No pre-packaged/commercial food allowed in we were told. I can understand McDonalds etc however this is totally unacceptable for the following reasons:
- In the last 14 months we have done similar at Brookie, ANZ, Allianz, MCG and SCG and never had chips confiscated.
- The catering at Brookie is woeful and was even worse than usual on Saturday night so I do not see what right the club has to confiscate a kids snack.

2. To make matters worse my kids then observed others eating chips, donuts and all manner of pre-packaged food - some of it carried in in clear plastic bags.

2. The food and beverage queues for an average crowd at the Fulton Menzies End were very long and slow.

The heavy handed and frankly ridiculous policy was all the talk around our area of the ground. For a community club like the Sea Eagles which is trying to attract new members it is just not accceptable.

I will be taking it up with the club directly as well. Over to you Mr Perry.

Thanks,
KJEagle

Just to be clear I have clarified the food part above to pre-packaged/commercial. I cannot remember what the exact term used was other than "you are not allowed to take chips in".

Stevo said:
You probably would have been better off emailing the club. To be honest I can't remember a time when you could take your own food or drink (except water) into a ground or any public place that is catered.

As mentioned we have been to many other grounds over the last year or so and never had an issue despite our bags always being checked. We also buy food and drinks at the game so it is not as though we are bringing in a picnic to avoid patronising the woeful food and beverage outlets at the ground.

Over the top and ridiculous!

I've never had a problem with taking food into any venue. I think all venues have a no can or glass policy but that's it ( and understandable ).
Unless it is openly and clearly stated at time of purchase, on the T & C's of your ticket purchase and at every entry to the ground then they don't have a leg to stand on.
I would've kicked up a stink and unless said terms are in place they have to let you in or give you a refund.
If they are trying to implement this policy, be transparent and then we'll vote with our feet - or have reasonably priced decent food, as if.
It seems everywhere we turn these days, someone's got their hand in your wallet.
Send your concerns to the club, NRL and the radio stations and see what responses you get.

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/tickets/venue.html

From the Sea Eagles website it clearly states that crisps (i.e. chips) can be brought into the ground.

NO COMMERCIAL FOOD POLICY

Patrons are not permitted to bring Food or Beverage products packaged or purchased at commercial outlets outside the ground eg. Fast Foods such as KFC, McDonalds, Chickens Plus, Subway and any canned soft drinks. Patrons are allowed to bring in homemade and packaged food such as sandwiches, fruit, biscuits, lollies, chocolates, cakes, crisps, provided they are for individual consumption and are packaged appropriately.

StuBoot said:
I've never had a problem with taking food into any venue. I think all venues have a no can or glass policy but that's it ( and understandable ).
Unless it is openly and clearly stated at time of purchase, on the T & C's of your ticket purchase and at every entry to the ground then they don't have a leg to stand on.
I would've kicked up a stink and unless said terms are in place they have to let you in or give you a refund.
If they are trying to implement this policy, be transparent and then we'll vote with our feet - or have reasonably priced decent food, as if.
It seems everywhere we turn these days, someone's got their hand in your wallet.
Send your concerns to the club, NRL and the radio stations and see what responses you get.
Thanks for the support. Even the club website says crisps can be brought in for personal consumption. I did try complaining to the security guards and staff on the gate however was told that it was policy. I tried calling Mr Perry this morning however he was not in. Have emailed him the same rant.

The most ridiculous incident was last year. An outside Ground Advertiser was handing out Dare Drinks, the Security, 2 meters away was making us throw it in a bin :huh:

The Game Day experience needs to be reviewed - although we say this every year at Manly and it is as fruitful as Killer's dialogue with the Referees.:dodgy:

Stopping people bringing in food and non-alcoholic drinks is narrow minded at best.
The catering rarely can cope at Brookie, and the Patrons have enough financial burden paying for the ever increasing tickets.

I took a bag of crisps plus two cans of pepsi into the ground. Had them checked by a security guard without problem. I always take food/drink to Brookie, knowing how poor and expensive the food sold there is.
Mind you, I never got to eat my crisps. I was too nervous during the second half to feel hungry - and being soaking wet also dimmed my desire for a cold drink.

I can't find it online ATM (might be on a page I can't view on the work computers) but we had the same thing happen last year - what they wanted to confiscate from us was a couple of packets of Lifesavers, and a little kid in front of us was made to throw a cling-wrapped sandwich and a small packet of chips in the bin.

I googled it on my phone at the time and showed it to the toolbag security supervisor - the ground rules clearly stated 'No commercial food' and then went on to give examples 'eg KFC, SUbway, McDonalds'. It explicitly stated that sandwiches, thermoses of tea/coffee etc were all OK, and snack foods in reasonable quantities.

It also explicitly stated that if you have a dietary requirement you can bring in pretty much anything (except the usual cans/bottles) - having three coeliacs in our family that definitely applies, as they can't even eat the chips sold in the ground, let alone anything else eg hot dogs, pies, fish, pizza.

Funnily enough, when I then walked around to the other side of the ground (to the main gate), my bag was checked and there was no mention of confiscating Lifesavers from my handbag. If it's the same supervisor on the Pine St gate as last year (balding guy named Roland IIRC) - he's a twerp with limited reading comprehension skills, just go to one of the other gates and you'll be fine!

Incidentally - I bought a rain jacket 3 or 4 sizes too big a few years ago - it's great for bringing in entire Maccas meals for four ;-)

KJEagle - sounds like that security guard got it wrong. I've bought large packets of crisps into the ground in previous seasons without a problem.

The beer queues were terrible on Sat night... Can only hope if we ever get the new grandstand built that it has decent bar facilities...

Mals said:
KJEagle - sounds like that security guard got it wrong. I've bought large packets of crisps into the ground in previous seasons without a problem.

The beer queues were terrible on Sat night... Can only hope if we ever get the new grandstand built that it has decent bar facilities...
Thanks Mal.Problem was that it was several security guards and the staff on the gate.

KJ - I'd keep on at the club about this, it's not good enough, they pay for the security and Police on the night and if they're alienating PAYING customers they need to be made aware.

It's not good enough that that some staff/security don't know the entry conditions.

The Who posted on here that he got checked and was allowed in with cans of Pepsi for ffs- that is more alarming than anything.

It shouldn't be a case of the luck of the draw as to which gate you go in and as soon you arc up at the dopey security they can accuse you of being p!ssed and refuse you entry.

TBH - Every year when I go to the cricket I print out the T & C's so if any useless goon at the gate thinks I can't bring something in I can show them, anal I know, but after seeing young kids getting bottles of water confiscated or not being allowed to have a backpack with more than five zippers ( yes, true! ) it's just not on. A bit of trivia for you all, did you know that if want to bring a beachball into the cricket, you need to have written permission from CA, one day I'll take the piss and ask them.

Unfortunately, for every overzealous knob you can bet there is just as many that don't give a rats.

Stevo said:
Agreed, it was always difficult to sneak my burboun into the ground

I've had chips taken from Skilled Park security seeing Manly vs Titans. Same story, they throw the in the bin. I bet all the fat security guards get them out and eat them.;)
If you pour your chips into a plastic lunch box you can bring them in. It's a silly rule but basically just remove your snacks from the packets, use plastic containers, bags or cling wrap and you'll be able to eat 5 Mars bars and 3 packets of Cheezels before kick off.

Years ago, you couldn't take your own drinks etc into the movies because they wanted you paying a fortune for a box of maltesers or large popcorn.

People eventually thought "stuff you" and the attendances suffered.

On a weekend when poor crowds have been raised on every radio sports show, the club wouldn't want to go down the path of denying families the right to bring a couple packets of chips to the games for their kids.

niccipops said:
I've had chips taken from Skilled Park security seeing Manly vs Titans. Same story, they throw the in the bin. I bet all the fat security guards get them out and eat them.;)
If you pour your chips into a plastic lunch box you can bring them in. It's a silly rule but basically just remove your snacks from the packets, use plastic containers, bags or cling wrap and you'll be able to eat 5 Mars bars and 3 packets of Cheezels before kick off.

and Niccipops is spot on KJ Eagle. Put them in Tupperware containers..no problems. Example ...as I'm a Gold Coast resident, I have to suffer the Titans for my fortnightly Nrl fix. Because they are ****e and hardly anyone goes we brought in a dozen Tupperware containers of dip, cheeses, crackers...it was some spread...spread out over about five chairs(which didn't matter, cause there was f@ck all ppl there anyway). Not only did we get to eat them. The security, when doing there walk to the top of the grandstand observation actually came over and scraped up some Camembert cheese on Jatz. We had a hard time getting rid of him!:p:
Stick with it KJ Eagle. Some of these tossers just love the power trip. Even if it is a bag of chips!.

HappilyManly said:
yokahontas said:
Incidentally - I bought a rain jacket 3 or 4 sizes too big a few years ago - it's great for bringing in entire Maccas meals for four ;-)

^^:p

Now we will have to go past Sniffer Dogs :D

At the Eels game last year I had a large jacket on and simply stuffed a packet of Twisties and a Coke bottle in my pockets. Unless they start frisking you I don't see how they can stop you.

If you have your own prepared food they will let you in. Okay then, next time I will by a packet of Jaffas and put them between two slices of bread in a lunchbox. Come to think of it I might try that for lunch tomorrow anyway.

Why the heck should I go through the turnstiles at Brookie feeling like I am bringing a bag of weed into Bali? Now wonder the NRL is leaking crowds.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6