My Assessment Of The Game From Being At Leichardt

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Guys and gals, I had a great view of proceedings from near the half-way line in the Members stand last night. Here's my assessment:
What went well:
1. Taupau's running game was top-notch. He hit the line hard with intensity and energy, and showed the passion we needed in a marquee forward signing. He still goes missing for periods of time, but I was very encouraged what I saw. Being a former club he was obviously up for it - the standard has been set now for every week.
2. Walker showed signs of brilliance (what a try), but again goes missing for long periods of time. I was still encouraged by what I saw from him.
3. Brenton Lawrence looked awfully good out there, and bent the line with his runs. He must start next week imo.
4. Jake Turbo tackled hard and effectively all game, and never stopped trying. Seemed to play a lot of minutes. 46 tackles, great effort.
What didn't go well:
1. Myles looked very average out there, and even disinterested. This guy is meant to be a marquee signing, but you wouldn't even know it was Myles out there if any other name was on his back. I was pretty disappointed, even though he made 38 tackles.
2. The sliding defence was shocking - I felt they would score every single time they were down our end.
3. Our outside backs look woefully below-par. Matai tried hard but was generally ineffective. Lyon is a shell of his former self and wouldn't start at any other club I don't believe. I think we'd have more success with him at 5/8 and Walker out wide, but it won't happen.
Wiliame, no need to comment there. Tom Turbo tried hard (and picked up an ankle injury in 1st half which might have affected his game), but didn't add much at the back and at times didn't even chase hard for the kicks which came down his end. I'm not yet convinced by him as a fullback.
4. Barrett's strategy. This while 2 hooker policy needs to go - it's obvious Parcell must start. I'm also not convinced of Brown as a starting NRL forward.
What should change for Rnd 3:
1. Drop Green from bench, drop Koroisau from team, drop Starling to bench, start Parcell, bring Mateo and Symonds into squad. Consider starting Lawrence or Mateo.
2. Drop Wiliame for anyone.

Congratulations Crusher. Firstly for actually attending the match. Secondly for your insightful comments which are virtually identical to mine.
Tom Turbo will only improve as a fullback. And with Brett out we have no alternative.

I was sitting on the hill at the 20m line (which we defended in the 1st half). I agree with much of what others say including our imports who aren't showing they're up to standard and the fact that our attack and defence both look like a bunch of strangers trying to guess where they should be.

From my viewpoint the Tigers RHS attack was running deep and at pace. Brooks at times looked completely in control with a fend leading to a try and snappy direct passes to outside men who were gifted overlaps.

In the 2nd half our RHS attack in the same situation was flat, hesitant and just plain soft. The LHS looked to be more potent (did DCE stick more to one side this week?).

With the right commonsense selections, time to build combinations and no injuries I have no doubt we have a very competitive team especially when Snake returns...but how much of a head start are we giving the rest of the comp?? I don't expect us to be premiers every year but the Manly character and competitiveness has disappeared.

I forgot to comment on DCE. Which might be an indication of his involvement levels. I just don't think he would run so little at the line if he was 100% fit. I hope that's the only reason.

Guys and gals, I had a great view of proceedings from near the half-way line in the Members stand last night. Here's my assessment:
What went well:
1. Taupau's running game was top-notch. He hit the line hard with intensity and energy, and showed the passion we needed in a marquee forward signing. He still goes missing for periods of time, but I was very encouraged what I saw. Being a former club he was obviously up for it - the standard has been set now for every week.
2. Walker showed signs of brilliance (what a try), but again goes missing for long periods of time. I was still encouraged by what I saw from him.
3. Brenton Lawrence looked awfully good out there, and bent the line with his runs. He must start next week imo.
4. Jake Turbo tackled hard and effectively all game, and never stopped trying. Seemed to play a lot of minutes. 46 tackles, great effort.
What didn't go well:
1. Myles looked very average out there, and even disinterested. This guy is meant to be a marquee signing, but you wouldn't even know it was Myles out there if any other name was on his back. I was pretty disappointed, even though he made 38 tackles.
2. The sliding defence was shocking - I felt they would score every single time they were down our end.
3. Our outside backs look woefully below-par. Matai tried hard but was generally ineffective. Lyon is a shell of his former self and wouldn't start at any other club I don't believe. I think we'd have more success with him at 5/8 and Walker out wide, but it won't happen.
Wiliame, no need to comment there. Tom Turbo tried hard (and picked up an ankle injury in 1st half which might have affected his game), but didn't add much at the back and at times didn't even chase hard for the kicks which came down his end. I'm not yet convinced by him as a fullback.
4. Barrett's strategy. This while 2 hooker policy needs to go - it's obvious Parcell must start. I'm also not convinced of Brown as a starting NRL forward.
What should change for Rnd 3:
1. Drop Green from bench, drop Koroisau from team, drop Starling to bench, start Parcell, bring Mateo and Symonds into squad. Consider starting Lawrence or Mateo.
2. Drop Wiliame for anyone.

nice assessment

Good insights. While Jake was a workhorse and solid as usual, I feel he is more effective at Prop. Changes for me are:
1. Jake to Prop, Myles to Lock
2. Lawrence to start, Starling (was still solid) to bench
3. Drop brown (Lawrence to second row?)
4. Only one hooker. It's clearly Parcell.
5. Drop Williame for anyone, literally anyone.
6. Stack the bench with forwards. Lussick, Starling, Vave, Knight, Fonua-Blake, Mateo, Symonds. Choice four and go with it.

Solid & fair appraisal of the players in question....
Just on that slide Defence which was a nightmare!
Only thing I feel is like the horse before the cart - it wasn't so much the slide defence - it was the tackle prior won by the Tigers setting their shift attack against a retreating defence....this engages the outside defender to shift in towards the ruck, where if set - defence is up & sliding with the ball from the inside to the outside - getting numbers right defensively.

I'd agree with most of that except Mateo only if he's putting in in NSW Cup and Buhrer instead of Symonds.

Green was a fringe first grader at St Merge, and a three-quarter at that. For some reason TB wants to turn him into a back rower and that's fine, but he has so far proven to be out of his depth in the forwards and needs to work out his game in the NSW Cup where its not going to hurt the NRL side.

Running with two hookers is simply wasting an interchange. Parcell is proving to be the gun we all knew he would be while Koroisau is proving why he could not oust either Luke or Segeyaro from the Souffs or Riff hooking positions. Sure he won a premiership with Souffs, but only because Luke got himself suspended.

I know he is reluctant to do so, but Killer is getting burnt these days playing centre and for the benefit of the team he should be playing 5/8. Walker will prove in time to be a good pivot, but the fact is that Killer's experience, especially with Snake out injured, would be invaluable to DCE, Parcell and Tommy. And Walker moving to centre would add the speed that we currently seem to be lacking in the outside backs. Both Simona and Tedesco made Killer look old and slow last night, and the problem is being made worse by Killer seemingly having no confidence in Wiliame outside him in either attack or defence. Its even got to the point where he won't pass to him and is looking to turn the ball back infield every time.

I too noticed Tommy limping midway through the first half last night and that may have affected him for the rest of the game.

It would appear so far that Titans fans were right about Nate Myles. Half-arsed efforts in both attack and defence seem to be the norm from him.

NRL Fox :
Tom Trbojevic 6.5 Had some classy moments but didn’t inject him often enough
Jorge Taufua 5.5 Will have nightmares about multiple Tigers running at him
Jamie Lyon 6 Bombed a try he struggled defensively with the speed of opposition
Steve Matai 6.5 Left nothing in the tank but had the same defensive problems as teammates.
Brayden Williame 4.5 Still to win his first game in the NRL. Very little impact.
Dylan Walker 6.5 Scored a good individual try but yet to be convincing at five-eighth.
Daly Cherry-Evans 6 Again failed to have the influence coach Barrett needs from him.
Josh Starling 5.5 Question marks over his mobility. Shown up by Tigers forwards
Api Koroisau 4.5 Poor early stint with the footy and will be lucky to hold his starting spot.
Nate Myles 5.5 Must be waiting for Origin. A lot of tackles but laboured with the footy.
Lewis Brown 6 Showed strength to score a try but his workrate just isn’t there.
Martin Taupau 8 Copped some treatment but absolute powerhouse with the footy.
Jake Trbojevic 7.5 Front –on defence was outstanding. One of Manly’s best
Matt Parcell 7 Looked far more dangerous with him on the field
Nathan Green 3.5 Only a few late minutes so no impact
Brenton Lawrence 8 Got Manly back into the game with his off-loads and ran strongly
Siosaia Vave 5 Reasonable contribution while out there but nothing more than that.

Hasler didn't set the world on fire with his first year as coach. Let's give Barrett more time and go from there. I think by dropping players to nsw cup, it may give those players the kick up the ass they need to start firing.

NRL Fox :
Tom Trbojevic 6.5 Had some classy moments but didn’t inject him often enough
Jorge Taufua 5.5 Will have nightmares about multiple Tigers running at him
Jamie Lyon 6 Bombed a try he struggled defensively with the speed of opposition
Steve Matai 6.5 Left nothing in the tank but had the same defensive problems as teammates.
Brayden Williame 4.5 Still to win his first game in the NRL. Very little impact.
Dylan Walker 6.5 Scored a good individual try but yet to be convincing at five-eighth.
Daly Cherry-Evans 6 Again failed to have the influence coach Barrett needs from him.
Josh Starling 5.5 Question marks over his mobility. Shown up by Tigers forwards
Api Koroisau 4.5 Poor early stint with the footy and will be lucky to hold his starting spot.
Nate Myles 5.5 Must be waiting for Origin. A lot of tackles but laboured with the footy.
Lewis Brown 6 Showed strength to score a try but his workrate just isn’t there.
Martin Taupau 8 Copped some treatment but absolute powerhouse with the footy.
Jake Trbojevic 7.5 Front –on defence was outstanding. One of Manly’s best
Matt Parcell 7 Looked far more dangerous with him on the field
Nathan Green 3.5 Only a few late minutes so no impact
Brenton Lawrence 8 Got Manly back into the game with his off-loads and ran strongly
Siosaia Vave 5 Reasonable contribution while out there but nothing more than that.

No offence and I know he's a legend....but 6/10 for Killer is being VERY generous. He had a Barry Crocker.

Nate Myles needs a dropping to the bench of nsw cup. If I was qld selectors, I'd be picking Brenton Lawrence over him.

Also Barrett needs to show he can make the hard decisions by picking Parcell as the 80 minute hooker.

I can't help but feel he's sticking with the 2 hooker rotation because he promised Api the role to lure him over. But as the coach he's gotta do what's best for the team, not just because he made a promise.

I wouldn't drop Myles to NSW Cup, but I would drop him to the bench and start BJ.

As I've said, I like Api, but I honestly believe that Parcell is the future. When Scam Smith finally gives it away, the Qld and possibly Kangaroos #9 jumper will be his for the taking.

There seems to be a growing feeling that TB is looking after the recruits from his old clubs (St Merge, Cronulla and Penrith). His selections of fringe players Green, Vave and Koroisau, plus Brown in front of tried and tested players like Lussick, Leary, Mateo and Symonds so far back that up.

Hasler didn't set the world on fire with his first year as coach. Let's give Barrett more time and go from there. I think by dropping players to nsw cup, it may give those players the kick up the ass they need to start firing.

Des didn't have, on paper, a gun side.

Your right with Barrett though, needs more time, but not to much more.

Our defence out wide was embarrassing. Every time the tigers spread it wide we looked like roadkill in head lights! This is not a new problem we leaked a lot of points out wide last year. All the hype about our new coaching structure appears to be simply that. We have conceded 64 points in two games against sides that finished 5 and 15 last year and they have not undergone major personal changes. At this point I am not believer and severely dissappointed with the rubbish they are dishing up.

Our defence out wide was embarrassing

This.

On the right, Killer is getting burnt for pace (last week Morris, last night Simona and Tedesco) and it appears obvious that he has little to no confidence in Wiliame outside of him.

Skivy was kinda ok last night, the problem on the right was Jorge who either backed away from attackers when only 5 metres out, or he raced out of the line looking for big hits that did nothing but leave huge gaps that Skivy simply doesn't have the speed to cover. Also having Skivy, Jorge and Taupau, all slowish and not overly mobile players (despite Jorge being a winger, his best asset is strength, not speed), defending on the same side of the field is a recipe for disaster as it proved.

As I expected hiku has left a big hole. He might easily gave slotted in to any of those problem backbone areas (fullback, 5/8, centre or wing) and done a better job. What a terrible decision to cut him.
... and Gutherson. He could also fill different backline positions, and has the pace we lack.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7