My theory on why Manly isn't anyone's "second" team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MadMarcus

Toovey for NRL CEO
I read in one News Ltd article something along the lines of "How many people have Manly as their "second" team? None."

This was cited as proof positive that we are hated, but if you stop to think about it, there is actually a completely logical explanation why Manly isn't anyone's "second" team.

If you have a "second" team, it is probably because your own team is so sh!t that most Septembers you have nobody to support. It follows that you would gravitate towards a team that is most similar to your own (ie. also sh!t), which would of course rule Manly out.

My logic also explains why Manly fans don't usually have "second" teams. As our team is always there to support, we don't need one.

I never understood that second team bit. There is ever only ONE team I would support & that is the MIGHTY MANLY SEA EAGLES.

Many supporter's 'second team' was Norths because they were so inoffensive and loveable in their ineptitude. They were my second team, simply because I lived most of my life in their area.

Now I think Cronulla gets the sympathy vote. How can anyone not feel sorry for a perennial loser?

manly was my 2nd team for the last few years
long story short
grew up in newcastle as a kid loving the doggies
then in 88 when i was 11 the knights came in
so i liked both of them equally
met my partner who is from manly and very very passionate about the sea eagles
so to make it more fun they were my 2nd team, knights.doggies first
however i became disenchanted with doggies with all the yobbos etc
it wasnt like that growing up
also, moved from newcastle to byron bay in 1990 so felt knights werent my team anymore...
so slowly over the last few years i followed manly more and more
till in 2009 i accepted they were my main team and knights/doggies 2nd
wasnt cause they were winning, they werent and i really didnt like orford at all i remember saying when he goes i will like manly more
so... became a manly fan through and through
i know most of you loved them since childhood but im upfront i didnt but love them as much as anyone now and will continue to do so

That last sentence is very debatable.

angryassdrummer said:
long story short
also, moved from newcastle to byron bay in 1990 so felt knights werent my team anymore...
wasnt cause they were winning, they werent and i really didnt like orford at all i remember saying when he goes i will like manly more
i know most of you loved them since childhood but im upfront i didnt but love them as much as anyone now and will continue to do so

I agree Manly or nothing, we are hated by everyone who isn't a Manly supporter because this hatred is passed on from father to son, the same as political persuasion is passed down.
If you ask a Manly hater why they hate Manly, the reasons are.
1. We buy all the good players, that's B.S. when you consider we have probably produced more local products that went on to represent than any other club. Most of those haters wouldn't even know who Branigan and O'neil , or Dorahy and Boyd are.
2. There was a perception of favouritism in the Ken Arthurson era, when in reality because of KA and a loyalty to the ARL during the Super League days, we had to fund our own battle for the ARL, something from which we have never recovered from.
3 We killed off the Bears, when in reality they killed themselves, enough said.
You cannot reason with idiots, especially idiots who support another team

angryassdrummer said:
long story short

Hey - some of us are born true supporters and some of us see the light a bit later. Either way you are now supporting the best team in the comp - so that's great news.

i agree
believe me, here in brisbane you wouldnt mention going for manly unless you were prepared for an onslaught of abuse
didnt grow up on the northern beaches no, never been to brookie infact only been to manly once
but i watch the doggies and feel nothing i dont feel the passion i did as a kid i couldnt even tell you half the players
but i know everytime t rex palms someone off i am yelling and give a cheer whenever i see buhrer run on the field
i dont care if i didnt like them as a kid, gone to every brissie/gold coast game manly have played the last few years and will do so in the future

angryassdrummer said:
long story short

Your partner is a legend. I have converted almost all my gfs over the years. If they didn't convert by the 6 month mark they were shown the door...

Glad you saw the light AAD.

The youngest of my 3 nephews was a scumdog supporter and once I took him under my wing and mentored him, he to so the light and converted to being a Manly fan.

As for the other two they had no choice or say in it and a reaping the rewards from it now.

Seriously , a 2nd favourite team . Pfffft

That's like kissing your sister .... You just don't do it !

If people need a 2nd favourite team would probably mean their 1st favourite team is probably ****e .

MadMarcus said:
angryassdrummer said:
long story short

Your partner is a legend. I have converted almost all my gfs over the years. If they didn't convert by the 6 month mark they were shown the door...

OneEyedEagle said:
Glad you saw the light AAD.

The youngest of my 3 nephews was a scumdog supporter and once I took him under my wing and mentored him, he to so the light and converted to being a Manly fan.

As for the other two they had no choice or say in it and a reaping the rewards from it now.
kids usually go for who their family goes for or who everyone at school goes for
as newcastle didnt have a team at the time everyone had different teams but the doggies were pretty big..you dont know why you go for a team as a kid you just go with it
was as an adult i was thinking, ive never been to that part of sydney have no intention of ever going there, i dont support the idiot fandom, hooligans etc
like you said my girl was just soooo manly, her bag is manly, her hat, her jumper, her scarf everything..and do be that full on in brisbane at her worl ( flight centre) where the whole head office she is at is bronco mad i think thats pretty cool..so yeah from about 09 i was like **** the doggies i dont feel anything for them anymore.. by that time i knew all the manly players well and realised all my fav players were manly players ...so off the shop we went..she bought me a t shirt old sschool style, hate, flag... watched every game they played since and every game in qld they play
now, couldnt see it any other way!
btw tool awhile to get used to the abuse even from chicks..one said to me wow manly made it to the GF about time they did something good.
i said, its the 3rd time in 5 years..how is that ****? oh, manly are just **** anyway....this from a titan fan who has never gone to a titans game..more manly fans there than titans fans

This whole 2nd team business, is for the most part nonsense.

There are some people who support multiple teams & thats usually because they have no backbone and want an each way bet to follow a winner.

But mostly, ive found that when fans say they have a 2nd team, in reality it means that if their favourite team they fully support dont go all the way, they have some sort of preference for another team in other games. A preference rather than actually properly supporting another team.

IE: Any team playing the storm (provided it doesnt cruel Manlys chances) automatically becomes a preference for me.

According to the press, there's two types of footy supporters:

1. Manly Supporters
2. Haters

You are a Hater if, and only if, you don't support Manly.

Manly v The Haters

In the AFL everyone's 2nd team up until 2009 was Geelong because they were so innocuous. Now people hate them, though not as much as Collingwood. I recall that in 2003 the Roosters had supposedly stolen the tag from us. Well that didn't last long did it? We will become everyone's second team in a few years if Bob Reilly gets his way and scorches the Brookvale earth.

Rex said:
According to the press, there's two types of footy supporters:

1. Manly Supporters
2. Haters

You are a Hater if, and only if, you don't support Manly.

Manly v The Haters

According to me there are two types of footy supporters as well:

1. Manly Supporters
2. Losers

I know that Manly is labelled as "The Team Everyone Loves To Hate" and ,living down in Wollongong which is three quarters full of Dragons supporters, I'm used to comments such as 'You're Wearing The Wrong Colours' which is one comment I received one day when I was wearing one of my Manly jerseys and guess what? It was from a Dragons supporter, of course. However, I've had a theory of my own or it maybe a little similar Manly's the only team in the NRL everyone loves to hate, wouldn't that mean that fans of the other 15 NRL Teams not only support their own club but they also support 14 other clubs.

Sure they might boo any club that their team comes up against in one round, but they're actually supporting them too. So when their club is defeated, they're not actually upset at all unless it's Manly that they're up against. Which means all other 15 NRL Clubs actually have a much wider fan base to the one they have now. So in a way, supporters of other NRL Teams have more than a second team if their club doesn't make the Grand Final.

For example: take Sunday's game, Manly is coming up against the Warriors. Someone is, let say, an Eels supporter but they exited the finals in the qualifying game and Manly, the team everyone loathes, made it all the way to the Grand Final and they were going to verse, lets say, the Cronulla Sharks. The Eels supporters wouldn't want Manly to win so they would "cheer for the Sharks to win" even though their club are the Eels.

MadMarcus said:
I read in one News Ltd article something along the lines of "How many people have Manly as their "second" team? None."

This was cited as proof positive that we are hated, but if you stop to think about it, there is actually a completely logical explanation why Manly isn't anyone's "second" team.

If you have a "second" team, it is probably because your own team is so sh!t that most Septembers you have nobody to support. It follows that you would gravitate towards a team that is most similar to your own (ie. also sh!t), which would of course rule Manly out.

My logic also explains why Manly fans don't usually have "second" teams. As our team is always there to support, we don't need one.

I can live through roosters premierships,just sayin

MadMarcus said:

Reasons as far as I've seen are; Merge and Hasler. I know many patriotic Australians for whom that hatred is strong enough they want to see the Kiwis win.

Also; I don't believe in the whole 'second team' thing. If you have a second team then you are not a true supporter of your team. Just my opinion.

PS: Don't lynch me. I come in peace. Just here to see if there is anything on the Manly forums supporting the rumours about T-rex on the Parra forums the last few days.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6