My theory on why Manly isn't anyone's "second" team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Darwin Eel said:
Reasons as far as I've seen are; Merge and Hasler. I know many patriotic Australians for whom that hatred is strong enough they want to see the Kiwis win.

As far as you've seen is right. You don't see that News Ltd killed the Bears, and tried to kill Souths, Manly and your team, Parra. And you don't see that News Ltd tells you who to hate and why.

MadMarcus said:
I read in one News Ltd article something along the lines of "How many people have Manly as their "second" team? None."

This was cited as proof positive that we are hated, but if you stop to think about it, there is actually a completely logical explanation why Manly isn't anyone's "second" team.

If you have a "second" team, it is probably because your own team is so sh!t that most Septembers you have nobody to support. It follows that you would gravitate towards a team that is most similar to your own (ie. also sh!t), which would of course rule Manly out.

My logic also explains why Manly fans don't usually have "second" teams. As our team is always there to support, we don't need one.

Well said MM

$hit attracts $hit

Rex said:
Darwin Eel said:
Reasons as far as I've seen are; Merge and Hasler. I know many patriotic Australians for whom that hatred is strong enough they want to see the Kiwis win.

As far as you've seen is right. You don't see that News Ltd killed the Bears, and tried to kill Souths, Manly and your team, Parra. And you don't see that News Ltd tells you who to hate and why.

The Bears were not considered for admission into the comp in 2000 because they were INSOLVENT. This was BEFORE the merger. I wouldn't think that would be difficult to understand.

Then again, the people who trot this out are the same ones who say they hate us all our players drive Mercs and Porsches, and because we are the only club to sign players from other teams.

They really should just admit that they hate us because we are good and be done with it.

angryassdrummer said:
manly was my 2nd team for the last few years
long story short
grew up in newcastle as a kid loving the doggies
then in 88 when i was 11 the knights came in
so i liked both of them equally
met my partner who is from manly and very very passionate about the sea eagles
so to make it more fun they were my 2nd team, knights.doggies first
however i became disenchanted with doggies with all the yobbos etc
it wasnt like that growing up
also, moved from newcastle to byron bay in 1990 so felt knights werent my team anymore...
so slowly over the last few years i followed manly more and more
till in 2009 i accepted they were my main team and knights/doggies 2nd
wasnt cause they were winning, they werent and i really didnt like orford at all i remember saying when he goes i will like manly more
so... became a manly fan through and through
i know most of you loved them since childhood but im upfront i didnt but love them as much as anyone now and will continue to do so

Whats to say you wont jump on some other teams band wagon, down the track sometime..You have already followed 2 teams before Manly.. If Manly didnt appeal to you the 1st time you seen them ,then your not true Manly..

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4