My thoughts on player movements

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DMN

Rookie
Hi i'm DMN, the creator of "I Love My Manly Warringah Sea Eagles" on Facebook. I have been a Manly tragic all my life, and i have been thinking about this for a while now.

"When a junior first plays in the NRL for their club, they should be like an apprentice. They should have to play "X" amount of seasons or games for that club, at an "apprentices" wage. No other team can scalp them, or offer them more money to join their club until this time is up. Thus any new talent is secure to his club while he gains experience, and also the club gets to benefit from the introduction of their talented players for longer.

Yes, i know that sometimes the club ends up not wanting a player anymore, so then in that case if his time isnt up, then like an apprentice, he then can be transferred between the two consenting clubs."

What do you all think?

Attachments

• Sea Eagles Maroon logo#3.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 3
Restraint of trade.
In any case, while we did not want to 'lose' Hoppa (given that he was already lost to the game for 2 years anyhow) I don't think it is a bad result overall.
Keep the forwards strong and keep the class halves. Sounds a good plan to me. Given the other talent we have out wide it is bad luck but Hoppa was excess to needs, and at what he was offered good luck to him.

Did you think this way when Manly signed Tony Williams and Jamie Buhrer from Parramatta?

Actually with the way the salary cap is, its been on my mind for a few years now. I love my Rugby League and want whats best for the game.

Young players will go to union or AFL instead to earn big bucks rather than an apprentice wage.

Look its sad to lose young Hoppa but he's gone & if you get bogged down by this stuff it will drag on & have an adverse effect still next season. I love seeing loyal quality juniors who only bleed Maroon & White & in a perfect world it has a happy ending. Unfortunately we will win some & lose some like the Hoppa saga.
I guarantee there has been players Crusher & his scouts have nabbed from other teams & many more in the pipelines & if they pull on the Manly jersey & play well, I wont give a rats where they come from.

You win some, you lose some! Swings and roundabouts my friend, swings and roundabouts..........

Pointless crying over Hoppa he was gone for 2 yrs anyway. Parra have just wasted $1.7 million on a young player who has dodgy hammys and has played a handful of first grade games and will be 2 yrs out of the game, a boofhead token coach and an unproven 16 yr old. If Manly had splashed out that sort of money for that package I would be demanding heads to roll. This deal is a prime example of why MANLY are the 2011 PREMIERS and Parra were near wooden spooners. Young Hoppa's football career has just been flushed down the toilet.

bones said:
I just think local juniors should be exempt from salary cap.

That would kill us. Imagine what clubs like Parra, Dragons and Brisbane could do then. That is crazy as it would be a massive disadvantage to Manly.

bones said:
Did you think this way when Manly signed Tony Williams and Jamie Buhrer from Parramatta?

I don't think we signed Buhrer from Parramatta. He played in the Parramatta district but I'm pretty sure he came to a Manly junior trial as this was the club he supported and wanted to play for, and was signed from there. He was never actually an eel I don't think. The only thing he has to do with the eels is that he had the misfortune of living in the area as a child.

mcatt said:
bones said:

I don't think we signed Buhrer from Parramatta. He played in the Parramatta district but I'm pretty sure he came to a Manly junior trial as this was the club he supported and wanted to play for, and was signed from there. He was never actually an eel I don't think. The only thing he has to do with the eels is that he had the misfortune of living in the area as a child.

Played junior reps for them Harold Matts / S G Ball.

Long serving players should get exemptions from the cap
example
5 years at a club 15%
7 years at a club 25%
8 years at a club 40%
10 years at a club 75%

^ Maybe not that dramatic, but a system like that could work well.

The original idea makes me think of the NFL & how players in that league can be restricted in their movements depending on how many years they've spent in the league.

I'm a bit hazy on it since the new CBA but from memory a player is only an unrestricted free agent after their fifth season (possibly fourth, as I said It's a bit hazy for me right now) & until then they are a restricted free agent, with the team that drafted them holding their rights. Of course it's a lot more complicated then that but if you're interested in that train of thought it's worth looking up.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7