My top 3 manly memories

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

grassy

Bencher
1976 Grad final win against Parramatta. 1978 Terry Randall smashing Ding bat John Donally. 2008 Grand final win against the storm. In 1978 I was getting taught geography by non other than Roy Masters at Doonside high school and the lesson switched to rugby league and who we all supported and when I mentioned I supported Manly he said in front of the whole class that all manly players were girls so I stood up in the classroom and told him to go f----k himself and mentioned the terry Randall tackle on Donally and told him to give me his tutoring skills on that. I got a lengthy suspension but it was worth it.Some of my really great memories of this great club and no matter what the manly haters say we always seem to proove them wrong and this year has been no exception and if we get in the finals then this will go to the top of my list.

1976 Grad final win against Parramatta. 1978 Terry Randall smashing Ding bat John Donally. 2008 Grand final win against the storm. In 1978 I was getting taught geography by non other than Roy Masters at Doonside high school and the lesson switched to rugby league and who we all supported and when I mentioned I supported Manly he said in front of the whole class that all manly players were girls so I stood up in the classroom and told him to go f----k himself and mentioned the terry Randall tackle on Donally and told him to give me his tutoring skills on that. I got a lengthy suspension but it was worth it.Some of my really great memories of this great club and no matter what the manly haters say we always seem to proove them wrong and this year has been no exception and if we get in the finals then this will go to the top of my list.
I think Roy masters was teaching in my town tamworth in 1977 .

1. Steve Menzies to cap his career with a try in the 2008 GF

2. Geoff Tooveys Origin Debut

3. Rod Wishart scoring for The Steelers on the buzzer (for the win) against The Eagles at Brooky, when I was a Bears fans. I stoop up and cheered, to be swiftly hit over the melon with a rolled up newspaper from someone behind me to an eruption of laughter :)

Seen this thread a few times & its a good 1....
*Manly/Souths 1987 at Redfern a standout - At 13-14yo new the test to match those Rabbit forwards was massive but Ward, Crusher & Gibbs who scored a freak try ripped in to win in a massive comeback
*Gotta have the 2008 GF amongst it....
*Just got back from the future - the 26 -12 GF victory in 2015 over Nth Qld was the best yet!! :party:

1978 Finals run - phenomenal toughness to play that many games in such a short period of time. To a young fan it didn't seem like such a big deal, just something that your team did every September, but looking back now it is an effort that will never be matched in the modern era.

Phil Blakes 82 and 83 seasons. The guy was a freak.

40 - 0. I'll be surprised if that isn't in most fans top 3. The fact that Beaver scored in that game is just the icing on the cake. How good was that day.

If we do get even half way into the semis, this year will take on a very '78 Vibe.

Third top memory: The Russell Gartner Try in the 78 Parra replay semi - a come from behind win ~ this was the come from behind try. Frog eyes made Sterlo look like a snail
Second top memory: the whole 2008 GF
Top memory: Freddie Jones scoring MMWSE's first try in our first GF win . He put the ball down AND U JUST KNEW WE WERE GONNA FINALLY WIN IT.

That comment toward Roy Masters...LOVE IT!!!!! I gave you a winner rating for that.

hmmmm, lengthy suspension, my understanding was he left teaching because he wasn't allowed to cane anymore.....took all the fun out if it......

Does anyone know if a digitally remastered copy of the legal Randall hit on Donnelly exists. My be the best tackle of all time.

The NRL community, Manly haters n all, recently celebrated the Matai tackle of the year. Everyone loved it.

The NRL should fund a digitally remastered copy of the Randall hit, promote it to the hilt and give all fans what want; reminders that this is the toughest game of all.

1- 2008
2- Fu cking the bears off and being Manly again.
3 - any win at Brookvale, esp when we used to play finals there.

Does anyone know if a digitally remastered copy of the legal Randall hit on Donnelly exists. My be the best tackle of all time.

The NRL community, Manly haters n all, recently celebrated the Matai tackle of the year. Everyone loved it.

The NRL should fund a digitally remastered copy of the Randall hit, promote it to the hilt and give all fans what want; reminders that this is the toughest game of all.

from memory it was just into the second half and right on halfway, knew we would win the game after that though I think the final score was only 8-4 or something like that....an absolute belter of a hit for timing....

That comment toward Roy Masters...LOVE IT!!!!! I gave you a winner rating for that.
There is not many people in my 53 years that I have disliked immensely but Masters was up there.I thought he was a cat along with Ridon,Boyd, trust me he was all mouth and when you came face to face with him his tail would go between his legs.He ended up having a bunch of no brainers doing his fighting for him on the football field and no wonder they never won a comp with him.

There's really sooooo many, I've supported Manly as long as I can remember... I'll go with a few highlights...

Beaver's try, '08 GF. Still get goosebumps, and always will..

Finding out, as a kid, that our coach at NCC wasn't just "Matt's dad", but was in fact Terry Randall!!

Watching a game on a Friday night at the much vaunted Hill St Night Club, circa '95-'96 I *think* (was pretty drunk but will never forget this!) and we are in a desperately tight contest with Norths. From distant, drunken memory it was 4-4 or something with about 5 mins to go, great game of football, and it might have been the Knights perhaps but anyway..Just brick wall defense from both sides... Then one C Lyons decides he's had enough, making a sneaky break down the short side. He cuts through the defense, draws the fullback who's covering and throws the_sweetest_dummy_ever. He shapes a pass to the winger cutting in then feints a pass: at the touch judge. It's so damn perfect that the camera man pans away, the touch judge dead set drops his flag in anticipation of the pill coming his way and no one has a clue what's happening. By the time the director has worked what's happened and gets a camera on Cliffy he's walking up the tunnel to the change rooms, a half smoked Winnie Blue hanging out his mouth.... Job_farking_DONE :)

*may have taken a bit of poetic license with this but it's how I remember it, and my memory is dead set woeful ;)

I definitely have it. Look i think i've seen it on You tube as well. A few years ago the ABC did Docu "The Fibros and the Silvertails". It was around this time i acquired the ABC's broadcast of the 78 Final MMWSE v Wests. If you cant find on Youtube, i will post it.

If we do get even half way into the semis, this year will take on a very '78 Vibe.

Third top memory: The Russell Gartner Try in the 78 Parra replay semi - a come from behind win ~ this was the come from behind try. Frog eyes made Sterlo look like a snail
Second top memory: the whole 2008 GF
Top memory: Freddie Jones scoring MMWSE's first try in our first GF win . He put the ball down AND U JUST KNEW WE WERE GONNA FINALLY WIN IT.
Russell Gartner was my favorite player along with Bozo and I always remember the big race with Larry corowa and a few others and gartner got second place with Steve Rodgers third and terry Faye fourth?

Well given I wasnt on this planet till the late 80s, my memories are somewhat more recent.

1. Beaver scoring that try in the 08 grand final. Its the proudest moment in all my years supporting the maroon and white.

2. 40 -0. That will be a hard record to beat. We were absolutely dynamic in that grand final. It was glorious.

3. Battle of Brooky. It was a night that Manly took control of 2011. The season was over for the remaining 15 teams when we won that game.

Watching the '73 Grand Final on TV wearing my brand new lace up Manly jersey.
The '08 GF is up there, as is Wolfman's Impossible try against Souths in the '13 finals.

Last edited:
Probably giving away my age but here goes:

1.The guy throwing the boomerang at half time at Brookie.
2. Running on Brookie after the game as a kid with Bozo's No.4 on my Manly Jersey and trying to get the corner post. ( never did get it).
3. Sliding down the back of the Brookie hill on a bit of cardboard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4