New Assistant coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Penna revels in return to big time
Adrian Proszenko November 20, 2011

WHEN David Penna broke his neck - for the second time - it appeared to be the end of his association with rugby league.

But, while the injury finished his playing career, it fast-tracked a move into coaching - one that has culminated in his appointment as the assistant coach to Geoff Toovey at Manly next year.

The former Parramatta and Souths playmaker, who has been juggling his sales manager role at 2GB with his NYC coaching duties at the Sea Eagles, is one of the beneficiaries following the defection of Des Hasler and other key staff from Brookvale to Belmore.

''It's a bit of a dream come true, I'm really looking forward to it,'' Penna said. ''I've been with the club going on to seven years now. Obviously there's been some great coaching staff ahead of me and it's been a matter of time where you have to just wait and be patient.

''That's the good part about coaching, it doesn't matter how fast you can run any more.

''I played with Jamie Lyon in his very first game of rugby league [at Parramatta], so hopefully we'll do well and I'll get to coach him in his last game. That would be nice.'' Penna has enjoyed success in the lower grades with the Sea Eagles and was recently touted as a candidate when the head job came up at Super League club Salford. The 39-year-old has overseen the development of many of the players that tasted premiership success this year.

nice, for many years he did some great stuff with the junior teams so great to see a loyal coach get his chance!! He would be popular and well known with the boys which helps too!!

Happy to see us recruit from within..as long as he's the right man for the job.

Will Toovey have 2 Assistant Coaches like Hasler did or is that it for the main coaching staff?

I’m sure they will do well together and know the systems & players well (very smooth transition).

So Luke Williamson is the Under 20’s coach in 2012, who is the NSW Cup coach for 2012? Has that been announce?

Dean Ritchie was in a year or 2 behind me at high school. He was an obnoxious little toad then and I wish I had of swatted him one back then the twerp.

I still think pariish along with penna will be assistants. Cliffy being nsw cup would be an excellent option and good progression from A grade coach

I like Penna always have.
He played in the SG Ball final for parra when my borhter played for Penrith.
Glad he is moving along well with OUR club.

Yep.... I reckon that's a fair assumption about Ritchie, he's a sad little man with no credibility.

As for Penna, I'm happy for him to get his chance after years of loyal service. I'm sure he'll go well.

penna has done a great job with the 20s and again like warrick has a connection to foran thru his time in NYC

exactly. Penna knows the kids that have come through the ranks. A few more will jon the top squad in the next few years and David can keep them in the Maroon n white.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6