New NRL semi system basically means a top 4

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
Looked at the history with this in the AFL and it basically means a top 4 finish is mandatory. Impossible from 5 to 8 in the AFL although their comp is not as even as ours despite the draft.With the top 4 sides getting the double chance and maintaining home ground advantage(which is a good thing) situations like the warriors in 2011 and cowboys in 05 getting belted by 40 in week 1and making GF simply wont occur.And the ridiculous situation of team 8 winning and getting a home final against a top side the next week like the warriors v roosters a few years back is also redundant.Makes it far more imperative to stay in touch with the lead group so a run of injuries/suspensions for teams will be all the more serious.The days of sneaking into the 8 on a bit of a roll like parra in 09 are dead and gone.

susan said:
The days of sneaking into the 8 on a bit of a roll like parra in 09 are dead and gone.

So Parramatta would not have made the 8 in 2009 if the AFL finals system was in place? Lol

I'm gonna call bull**** here ridge pipe.
1995 the scumdogs finished 6th and won the comp using the same system. If anything it gets a bit easier as the bottom for play each other week 1.

Cambo said:
1995 the scumdogs finished 6th and won the comp using the same system. If anything it gets a bit easier as the bottom for play each other week 1.

Was it top 7 or top 8 in 1995?

bones said:
Cambo said:

Was it top 7 or top 8 in 1995?

Read the post bones, im not saying they would not have made the eight in 09.im saying it is much more difficult to progress.The old NRL system gives home ground to week one winners for a start and if you are a regional side you can maintain a proper home ground advantage(as opposed to the Sydney sides) all the way to GF. A regional team on a streak who sneaks into the eight wins one game under the old system and then gets to plain in front of their home heathens till the gf .

Now if they beat team 5 they get to play a top side away,win that and they get to play another top side away to make the GF.Good f...ing luck IMO in the modern game.If anyone thinks that is an easier road they are kidding. No one has looked like doing it in the AFL and im willing to bet it will be close to impossible in the NRL.Why do you think they changed it for a start.It was changed simply to give the proper advantage to the top 4.

susan said:
Read the post bones, im not saying they would not have made the eight in 09.im saying it is much more difficult to progress.The old NRL system gives home ground to week one winners for a start and if you are a regional side you can maintain a proper home ground advantage(as opposed to the Sydney sides) all the way to GF. A regional team on a streak who sneaks into the eight wins one game under the old system and then gets to plain in front of their home heathens till the gf .

Now if they beat team 5 they get to play a top side away,win that and they get to play another top side away to make the GF.Good f...ing luck IMO in the modern game.If anyone thinks that is an easier road they are kidding. No one has looked like doing it in the AFL and im willing to bet it will be close to impossible in the NRL.Why do you think they changed it for a start.It was changed simply to give the proper advantage to the top 4.

I just re-read your post Susan. Your last sentence says "The days of sneaking into the 8 on a bit of a roll like parra in 09 are dead and gone"

Semantics boys.My obvious point was the days of sneaking into the eight on a roll and making the GF like parra did via a ridiculous system are over.My brain is slowly being fried over the years from the piss but it doesnt extend to the eighth team not running eighth.If i did not word it to your exacting standards the I heartily apologize.I think the rest of my post made it quite clear what I meant and if you think it would be easier for Parra to get to the GF IN 2012 then we agree to disagree.

The reason why teams in 5-8 don't make the AFL Grand Finals is because they ain't good enough. Its different in the NRL. They went to this system because team 7-8 were getting flogged in the first round of the finals. They were getting beaten by an NRL equivalent of 40+ points.

Its one of the reasons why I'm anti draft. A draft doesn't help even out the playing talent. It just makes it harder for clubs to stay at the top because you have to bottom out to get the good kids. There are teams going into an AFL season who are in "rebuilding year", they've gone through periods where supporters don't want their team to win so they can get a better draft pick. That's terrible from a competition view IMO and I'm an AFL supporter as well.

The NRL is a more even comp so I think its more likely a team from 5-8 will make the finals and in this system it makes it easier for them to do.

agree re draft.i would hate to see them tamper with what gives us such an even comp.just have to have a well enforced very tight transfer window.
have to disagree on the easier bit though mainly because a bottom side can never get a home game in the finals which is a real disadvantage compared to the huge advantage a week one low placed winner could have achieved last year,particularly the regional sides like brisbane who would get the second semi and prelim final at suncorp if they ran 8th and won the first semi.

susan said:
agree re draft.i would hate to see them tamper with what gives us such an even comp.just have to have a well enforced very tight transfer window.
have to disagree on the easier bit though mainly because a bottom side can never get a home game in the finals which is a real disadvantage compared to the huge advantage a week one low placed winner could have achieved last year,particularly the regional sides like brisbane who would get the second semi and prelim final at suncorp if they ran 8th and won the first semi.

Its easier because to progress because all have to beat the 5th rank team in week 1 instead of 1st. I would have preferred the older system but just change a few things like you keep your ranking for home ground advantage all the way to week 3.

Think the easier point is that the bottom 4 teams in week two have played theoretically easier games to get there

The harder point is they lose the ability to get a home ground advantage.

So in round 2 of the finals you have a fresher team playing away than under the old system, so probably harder than before but yes, there is some positive outcome as well for the bottom 4.

yep ME.That was the real bad point of the old system in that one win meant the home ground advantage to low teams.The higher side should keep it for at least another week under the old rules.Also the possibility that team 3 could go in week 1 didnt grab me.

Do we get home ground advantage any more? Will be back at Brookie if we make top 4, or is that still a no?

no Dowdz

Sydney clubs in top 4 only get their actual homeground first week if the stadium meets minimum standards which ours doesnt apparently.If the ground doesnt meet standards it is played at sfs or anz.Second week onwards I think any top 4 sydney side plays at SFS or ANZ also.

Regional clubs keep their actual home base all the way to gf if they finish in top 4.Real big advantage to top 4 regional sides like storm,warriors,brisbane,cowboys etc.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4