New Rules for 2009

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DVS Matt

Bencher
Two referee model for Telstra Premiership
NRL.com
The Telstra Premiership will break new ground in 2009 with two referees to be used on the field.

The NRL Board today gave its approval to the biggest on-field change to the way the game is controlled in a century.

The two referee model will be applied for the Telstra Premiership only and will have one referee oversee the play-the-ball and another based on the ten-metre line.

The ‘main’ referee will always be the person stationed at the ten-metre line and will be the one who will use the whistle to order stoppages or penalties.

The second referee will communicate directly to the referee controlling the whistle. The referees will alternate roles during the match.

“This is a major step and another demonstration of the priority that is placed in officiating our game,” National Rugby League Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop said today.

“Referees face an incredibly tough role in our game and we have been committed to ensuring they receive the support they need in preparing for that role - from full-time employment to providing all necessary resources.

“Today’s decision is a fundamental change to the refereeing model and one that reflects the pace and demands of today’s game.

“Not for a second do I think this will stop people arguing about on-field decisions but they can’t argue about the professionalism or the dedication of those involved in making the decisions.”

The Board today signed off on all recommendations from the Annual Chief Executives Conference and Football Conference.

Mr Gallop said that the process of involving a broad cross section of individuals had allowed the management and the Board to affect a number of important changes for 2009.

“Week in and week out Rugby League produces a standard of football that is unrivalled.

“We need to ensure that we are also evolving in the way the game is administered on the field without affecting the fabric of how it is played. The work that has gone into the last few months will achieve that outcome.”

In addition to the dual referees, the Board today approved:

The removal of the video referee from adjudicating on the stripping rule.
Reducing the power of the video referee to adjudicate on matters of foul play only when those matters are sufficiently serious to warrant a player being placed on report.
A directive to referees and the judiciary to take even stronger action against grapple tackles. These measures will include a review of judiciary points, the removal of existing precedents and the use of the sin-bin for repeated or serious offences in a game.
The end of an NRL experiment positioning tap re-starts 20m in from touch. All will now revert to the International Rule of 10m.
Interchange to remain at ten interchanges from a bench of four players for 2009 and 2010. This will be discussed again at the conclusion of the 2009 for season 2011 and beyond.
New measures to reduce time wasting at scrums. Players who rush to pack a scrum to ensure the referee signals ‘time-off’ but then break the formation will lose that advantage with the referee immediately signalling a ‘re-start’ to play and ‘time-on’.
The NRL will develop guidelines before the start of the 2009 season that will regulate public comment from any player or official about matters likely to be reviewed by the judiciary.
Current provisions in relation to ‘prior loadings’ affecting any judiciary charge will be retained.
A player who receives ‘carry-over’ points as the result of a judiciary charge will receive a five point reduction from his overall tally for every match he plays without a further offence.
Defenders who seek to prevent tries by leading with their feet or legs may be charged with misconduct.

DVS Matt link said:
Defenders who seek to prevent tries by leading with their feet or legs may be charged with misconduct.

"MAY"be charged, what the f does that mean?, I cannot imagine a scenario where a player leads with the feet or legs that it would not be intentional. It looks tome that the NRL have left themselves a get out of jail card in case a favourite son needs help coming into a major game.

I agree Corso, he's the only one in the game who leads with his feet.  The 'may' is crap.  It's either acceptable or not acceptable, full stop.  And I can't see the rationale for removing the video ref on ruling with regard to foul play.  Another set of eyes is always good imo.  Often the 'placing on report' is purely subjective so that new rule is befuddled.  The scrum thing is another ruling that puzzles me.  What is the problem with the current arrangement.  I personally like the time off thing when a team can get an attacking move set.  It's usually put on at the back end of a game and leads to a heightened interest in just what has been mooted on the field.  I would have liked to see time off when a player takes the kick after a try.  I personally like breaks in play to go buy beer or discuss the flow of the game etc. 

it should be really easy to rule on.

If there is contact with the opposition it is an offence that should be on report. Therefore the video ref can make the call and penalise the cat.

hay honestly with all these rule changes there is one consistent trend i noticed that they are trying to speed the game up and not allow slow downs eg with video ref or at scrums, even moving it to the 10m tap speeds things up.

Therefore what im trying to get at is the fact that we have one of the most fittest teams in the nrl thanks to our great training facilities. So these rule changes be more of a benefit rather than a detriment.

DVS Matt link said:
In addition to the dual referees, the Board today approved:

Reducing the power of the video referee to adjudicate on matters of foul play only when those matters are sufficiently serious to warrant a player being placed on report.
  Let's hope we don;t have to listen to Gould bla bla bla about this ever again.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=DVS Matt link=topic=178994.msg204599#msg204599 date=1229990429]
  Let's hope we don;t have to listen to Gould bla bla bla about this ever again.
[/quote]

No no no no noooo Stop me Rabs :)

And the new Sticky Brown clause:
"The NRL will develop guidelines before the start of the 2009 season that will regulate public comment from any player or official about matters likely to be reviewed by the judiciary."

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6