New Rules To Enhance The Game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just thought i would throw it out there for any ideas/rules rugby league could use to enhance the game in the future. I have a few to start with and might add a few more but i'm sure on second thought some of my ideas are probably worthy of an upper cut lol.

1) Starting with extending the 40/20 rule to all 40m touch finders has been mentioned a few times and I don’t mind the idea but can also see the down sides also. Wingers will be in two minds to either follow the up and in defence of his inside defender or hang back to defend the kick which will create overlaps from wingers coming in too late or hanging back and being isolated.

The downside is with the increased opportunities to gain easy field position through kicks more time at training will be devoted to kicking skills increasing the skill level and also increasing the amount of kicking in the game. (we don’t want aerial ping pong and looking like Union) I admire and appreciate the repetitive grind of making the hard yards but we also need to encourage unpredictability also.

2) As I’ve mentioned in another thread 5m red zones in front of try lines to reduce the impact shallow bombs are having on the game. Any kick caught on the full is a 20m restart in this area and in goal. Another upside for implementing a red zone is that it takes the pressure away from refs to get the decision correct in relation to whether the defender caught the ball in the field of play or not. If the ref gets it wrong the only downside is whether it is a play the ball in the red zone or a 20m restart it does not overly punish the defending side to another set of six.

3) Each team has two “seven tackle play options” up their sleeve to use whenever they please. Its not a stop play and indicate to the ref option “like a cricket powerplay” the only rule that needs to be applied is if your tackled on the 6th with a 7 tackle option up your sleeve you must use it (this prevents the stoppage from occurring) I think this rule will compliment the 40/20 rule as outside defenders like wingers have to think twice about dropping back on the 5th tackle in the predictable manner it is today just in case the attacking teams runs it on the 6th tackle.

Another upside is when the attacking team runs it on the 6th tackle and it does not come off a short rushed small kick may eventuate to not waste a 7 tackle play giving good field position to the defending side. Teams may decide to use the play for various reasons from attacking in the red zone to a surprise long distance play or just needing an extra tackle due to a bad set of 6 and not gaining much yardage, there are many ways you can benefit.

The score board will indicate how many remaining seven tackle plays each team has which can add an exciting element coming down to the wire from the fans point of view.

Not a fan of the first rule, happy with how things work at the moment.

Second rule I am a fan of as I mentioned before. As it stands it's frustrating to watch & is hard for the refs to rule correctly on. Would welcome a change in this area of the rules.

Third idea you have there is a bit odd. Have to admit that it didn't like it but after reading over it a few times & putting some thought into it, the idea does intrigue me.

First problem that comes to mind is that it'll be difficult for the players on the field to indicate to the referee when they wish to use the 7th tackle option - maybe have it so the team must choose to use the option at the start of the set? Puts a bit more thought into it that way.

With that said it is a pretty radical rule change so expect it to cop loads of flak. Defo something I would be interested in seeing trialled in the NYC though.

To be honest I would make a subtle change to points allocated for field goals. It's harder to score a field goal then anything else.

So I'd up them to 2 points

Remove the knock on rule entirely. If you drop the ball in any direction and retain possession it's play on.

The players do not have to indicate to the ref if they wish to use it that is why i introduced the "if tackled on the 6th with a 7 tackle option up their sleeve it must be used" otherwise teams will not be sure if its a hand over or an extra tackle.

There is no need to choose when to use it you can be on the last tackle expecting to just use the standard clearance kick and decide to run it on the spur of the moment--- it requires no in advance indication whatsoever. The whole purpose of the option is to reduce the predictable tackled on the 5th leading to a clearance kick the very next tackle nature of the game and stoppping the wingers dropping back early---it also opens up an unpredictable attacking option.

Leave it as is. Making changes just confuses things

Daniel said:
Leave it as is. Making changes just confuses things

This is my normal viewpoint that I've held for a while but I just don't think there is enough talent in the league to have consistent entertaining games with the current rules.

Teams like Manly, Melbourne, the Broncs play it well which makes for great viewing (Personally I love watching the Dragons as well, their defense is amazing) but the rest of the league will just churn out absolute crap for majority of the year & fall over the line into the finals - Tigers, Dogs & Parra are examples of what I mean.

It's fine when there are a few teams that blow chunks (Every league needs it's own Browns/Hammers/Mets) but when it's the majority of the league playing like that then it just grinds gears & hinders the growth of the game.

The above in an excerpt from 'How Wolfpack learned to sound exactly like people he used to despise'. Ugh.

I'd like them to tidy up the rule around stripping when the ball hits the ground. I just think you have to guess too much as to who actually touched it last and if it was a knockon or not. So just a rule that takes out the grey and makes it black and white, I'd say the attacking team can't be called for knockon in an attempted strip ... although, that probably makes it not so black and white when you are trying to decide if it was a strip or he just lost it cold .... I guess the point is no matter what rule you bring it, there is always a flip side to it.

I agree with Daniel. The game is fine as it is. Sometimes we can get a bit nostalgic and think things were better in yesteryears, but regularly watching the Chooseday night games of older games, the game today really leaves those for dead. It was so much slower, and the impact wasn't there for the entire 80 minutes like it is in todays game. Doesn't mean some things weren't better, but I like the game as it is.

re tackled in goal i believe that with players now spending so much time perfecting their grubber kicks (especially the kicks that curl around to stay in the ingoal area), there is not enough reward for the defending team for preventing a try.
i would like to see the goal line drop out be moved to the quarter line.
this would give the defending team a chance to make the first tackle on the other side of half-way, making it a bit harder to get consecutive sets thus rewarding the defending team for holding them out.

I have posted this before but if scrum feeds were decided in a random manner such as the push of a button by the video ref for instance it would bring real unpredictability back into the game.

Wingers would pick balls up rather than as they do now let them dribble over the sideline in the knowledge they are guaranteed possession from the ensuing scrum and players might be a bit more adventurous with the ball if they knew a dropped ball may not end in a certain loss of possession.

I know its going a bit in a union direction, but I would love to see a rule change where if the attacking team kick the ball dead from outside the 40 meter line, it comes back with a play the ball where the player kicked it from.

It would negate the negative tactic used by Hayne and others of deliberately kicking the ball dead on the 5th tackle giving time for the defensive line to get set.

castle eagle said:
re tackled in goal i believe that with players now spending so much time perfecting their grubber kicks (especially the kicks that curl around to stay in the ingoal area), there is not enough reward for the defending team for preventing a try.
i would like to see the goal line drop out be moved to the quarter line.
this would give the defending team a chance to make the first tackle on the other side of half-way, making it a bit harder to get consecutive sets thus rewarding the defending team for holding them out.

Don't like that one. Any rule brought it should be about making easier to score tries, not making it harder and this takes away some of that. The harder it is to score tries the more valuable points become and if thats the case you'll see a lot more shots a penalty goal instead of going for the try and we don't want to turn into union.

SCRUMS!

They are so embarrassing no one hardly has the power anymore to see how silly they are.

Have the ball go between the feet of the open props and make a small chance at skill and luck to create a different result. Make the forwards get skilful and get the hooker doing what the hooker used to do.

weev said:
SCRUMS!

They are so embarrassing no one hardly has the power anymore to see how silly they are.

Have the ball go between the feet of the open props and make a small chance at skill and luck to create a different result. Make the forwards get skilful and get the hooker doing what the hooker used to do.

Agree with this. Either you bring back contestable scrums or get rid of scrums completely. The way they are now is useless. Its just a way to take 6 players out for each team and doesn't make a difference.

Jono said:
weev said:
SCRUMS!

Agree with this. Either you bring back contestable scrums or get rid of scrums completely. The way they are now is useless. Its just a way to take 6 players out for each team and doesn't make a difference.

The scrum is by far the 1 rule which needs to be looked at. I like the idea of bringing back the contest, otherwise we may as well just have atap against the infringing team.
Not a rule change - but a schedule change...
1 Friday night game
2 Saturday games - 5.30/7.30
5 Sunday games - 2 @ 2.00 / 2 @ 3.00 / 1 @ 4.00

Why fix what ain't broken? The refs have enough of a problem getting it right now. Why confuse them even more?

id go down the 1 day cricket line.

Both teams have two 5 minute power plays.

1st power play they can use is to bring on and extra bench player for 5 minutes.

2nd power play is that they can send off any player from the opposition for 5 minutes.

You cannot call both your powerplays at once.

You've been watching to much ice-hockey Fluff. I'd like to see a scrum put down every time the ball is dropped, back, sideways or forward. And the video ref allowed to judge on forward passes in the movement leading to a try. And eliminate the months between the end of one season and start of the next.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4