New Sea Eagles Chief targets Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mitch

Bencher
INCOMING Sea Eagles chief executive officer Tim Cleary has declared an upgrade of Brookvale Oval will be “at the forefront of his mind” when he officially takes over the role in December.

The principal of St Augustine’s College replaces Joe Kelly, who departs after two years in the hot seat.

“I can’t wait to start, it will be a fantastic challenge,’’ Mr Cleary told the Manly Daily.

“After 15 years as headmaster (at St Augustine’s) I felt it was time for a change.

“I have been on the Brookvale Oval committee for a number of years and I want to see the facility upgraded to a level where it should be as a thriving NRL club.

“We have the money ready to go from the State and Federal governments. My aim is to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.”

Manly-based Mr Cleary prides himself on his “can- do” attitude and is confident he can tinker with what needs to be addressed at the club.

“The Sea Eagles are an iconic brand and that needs to remain filtering from first grade through to our junior league,’’ he said.

“Previously, I have had nothing but admiration for the club and their winning culture.

“There is an exciting future at Manly and we also have the opportunity to create a centre of excellence at Narrabeen.

“I am looking forward to helping the Sea Eagles prosper on and off the field.”

Club chairman Scott Penn said he had no doubt Mr Cleary was the perfect candidate to succeed Mr Kelly.

“He has strong commercial experience, is an outstanding communicator and is an expert at stakeholder management,’’ he said.

“Tim is also well known in the community and his tremendous development experience with the expansion of the St Augustine’s campus will be pivotal over the next few years.”

Mr Penn paid tribute to the departing Mr Kelly, who had worked “tirelessly” for the club for two years.

Mr Cleary will join the Sea Eagles during a difficult time for the club.

This season they have had to deal with match-fixing implications, sponsorship dramas and a below-par 13th place finish.

Google Manly Daily Online.

The story relates how several BH teams are banned from next year's comp, plus the Bears have to pay fines related to the importation of juniors from outside the district, to play in their teams. Which is against the rules.

It all came to a head after the dust up at Brookvale Oval when a Beacon Hill side vs the Avalon Bulldogs was involved in a series of unsavoury brawls, racial epithets, etc.

Looks like someone has overreached.

The new council is looking at converting Warringah Golf Course into sporting fields for other sports. Manly Leagues club has now morphed into North Manly Bowling Club. North Manly Bowling club is effectively attached to Warringah Golf Course.

I can't help wondering if there is some potential for a new sporting complex on the site of the Warringah Golf Course - to replace Brookie Oval. And if we should be (or are) considering this possibility before upgrading. This sort of option comes up very rarely, so maybe should be considered.

Yes good stuff.

Meanwhile did anyone else read yesterday's story re: the Beacon Hill Bears? That outcome will throw a spanner in the Fulton works.
They are appealing it so bozo might pull some strings. It's a huge penalty or is it justified?

They are appealing it so bozo might pull some strings. It's a huge penalty or is it justified?
It does seem odd (illogical) that teams and players who had no involvement in the fight are being penalised out of existence. Maybe the separate issue of huge polynesian players being imported by Beacon Hill from out of area is muddying the decisions on penalties for the fight?

A better path would be to revise the penalty downwards, and to look at weight adjusted gradings, like we used to have in school competitions.

There was mention during the week that this was not the first time there had been issues and they were already on a good behaviour bond

• 📚
Reactions: Rex
It does seem odd (illogical) that teams and players who had no involvement in the fight are being penalised out of existence. Maybe the separate issue of huge polynesian players being imported by Beacon Hill from out of area is muddying the decisions on penalties for the fight?

A better path would be to revise the penalty downwards, and to look at weight adjusted gradings, like we used to have in school competitions.
Yeah couldn't agree more.
But we are relying on the league to be sensible and that's the scary part.
Not all regions across NSW and I guess QLD need weight for age. I could be wrong but largely seems to be a Sydney thing. I know that where I am doesn't but can the league be relied on not to bring in a knee jerk , blanket rule?....... probably not.
A more pressing problem here is that they largely ignore kids that just want to play for fun, grading them at age nine.
I know many who play other sports because of it.
The whole scene needs an update.

The Fulton philosophy of building teams with huge players does work. The top teams in NRL all have this feature. They have speed and skill as well, but size is the foundation. And the placing of the Beacon Hill teams built on this size-based philosophy in the various age comps backs this up. Bozo gets plenty of people offside with his win-at-all-costs approach, his interpersonal style and his nepotism. And that doesn't mean he's not onto something important at NRL level.

As you suggest the fun (versus winning) aspect is central to participation. This is even more important at younger ages. While size and mongrel mismatches are important factors in NRL results, they can interfere with participation outside the NRL. The officials need to address this impact on participation because without high participation, the game dies.

I hope the first decision imposed by the Headmaster is to give Detention to Poo and Plod for failing to complete their assignments, and the second imposition is to the recruitment idiot who signed them to write 100 times: I will never make the same mistake again.

The principal of St Augustine’s College replaces Joe Kelly, who departs after two years in the hot seat. “I can’t wait to start, it will be a fantastic challenge,’’ Mr Cleary told the Manly Daily.

“I have been on the Brookvale Oval committee for a number of years and I want to see the facility upgraded to a level where it should be as a thriving NRL club.

I won't hold my breath on the Brookvale Oval upgrade.

Back in August I attended a fundraiser at the Stein for Royal Far West which was supposed to have Steve Menzies, Josh Perry and Mark Bryant as guest speakers. The only one of the former players to show up was Mark Bryant but Joe Kelly was also there so he took the microphone to tell us his vision (or lack of) and take questions.

Interestingly, one of the questions came from Warringah Mayor Michael Regen who asked Joe Kelly what he would actually like to see happen at Brookvale Oval. This is not a question Regen should have to ask in a public forum if Kelly and the Penns were serious about wanting this upgrade.

Not surprising really. Remember that bullsh-t 'vision' with whopping great stands and highrise apartments skirting the ground? Surely just an exercise in 'feeding the chooks.'

Has anyone heard of development applications to Council, architects being appointed, etc? Neither have I. They should dust off the Tzannes master plan from a few years ago.

At least Mr Cleary has experience in helping to oversee redevelopments to fruition. Just look at how much redevelopment has taken place at St Disgustines in recent times. Something that the Pennerides faction has no idea about.

Hence the reason for his appointment.

Brookvale "Heritage Stand"

3094642066_f2fb873f5b.jpg

Remember sitting in that way back in the 1960s, for cracker night at the Brookvale Show. I was so spooked by the 1967 fireworks that I opted out the following year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4