Newcastle make pledge to beat Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
THE player at the centre of Newcastle's current crisis - Kirk Reynoldson - told last night of how his teammates had pledged to beat Manly tonight "for each other".

In the wake of the very public falling out between coach Brian Smith and senior players, Reynoldson revealed the players had vowed to stick together on the field.

Reynoldson became the focal point of player discontent last week when it emerged that he needed two more games to trigger a new deal with the Knights - but was rested while fully fit for the game against St George-Illawarra.

He has been named on the bench for the match against Manly in Gosford tonight, and he trained with the squad yesterday.

Aware that morale was down in the Newcastle camp, Reynoldson said he and his teammates would bond tonight and hope a win could ease some of the club's growing tensions.

"We have to get together and do it for each other," Reynoldson said.

"This is a low point and there will be a lot of changes to the team after this year.

"But I can't wait to get out there and rip in.

"We only have four games left so we have to stick together and try to enjoy it.

"We have to focus on the game and put all the other stuff to one side.

"Once we run over that white line, it's game on.

"All we can do is play footy and stay together as a group.

"The best thing about footy is playing with and for your mates.

"We will look each other in the eye and remember the reasons you play football, as we all have done since we were in the under-eights."

The Knights' troubles continued yesterday with Smith questioning the outburst by team captain Danny Buderus.

Newcastle is divided: the coach and board on one side, the players on the other.

One source close to the camp said: "It's a war."

Reynoldson, though, just wants to play football with his mates.

"We have to enjoy each other's company - there is still spirit among the players," he said.

"I want to play a good, strong game against Manly.

"There are still a couple of areas we need to work on - direction and aggression, execution and completion. We want to get the two points."

Daniel Abraham is another player known to be frustrated. He has a contract offer for next season but is yet to sign.

"Like the rest of the players, Daniel is frustrated," said Abraham's adviser, former Knights player Matt Parsons.

"The guys most frustrated are the ones that have been there for a while."

Manly and Newcastle will play tonight for the Malcolm Reilly trophy.

Reilly is a Manly legend who coached Newcastle to their famous 1997 grand final win over the Sea Eagles.

Asked who he was supporting, Reilly said: "I am firmly sitting on the fence.

"But Manly are a very workmanlike side - they get the job done.

"They are full of confidence at the moment and Jamie Lyon is such a talented player.

"He did some freakish things while at St Helens.

"They are finishing off their sets well and putting a lot of pressure on the opposition."

I was thinking that last night CIG.

I was wondering what would be said if we put a triple figure score on them.

Imagine seeing the boys go into the sheds at half time up by 60.

In reaity though I reckon it'll be more like a win by 50.

Take the 1- 12 margin. We are going through the motions at the moment, combined with Newcastles issues and the fact the game is being played at CC will make this a tight game.

I wouldn't be surprised if they rolled us. They have something to play for now and want to prove a point, and we are just treading water till the finals and trying to avoid injury.

I hope we win, but I'm not confident.

We will be lucky to win by more than 12 in my opinion, we will do what we have to do to win and that is it.

its teams like this under seige foir various reasons that worry me, like the Sharks game where they had 20 players out and nothing to lose.

Key is to start well, early points then smash them.

With Kite saying he wants a rest and King still out it will be interesting to see how our bookends hold. Afa has provided some no nonsense go forward. All the same you would like to think we could post nearly 20 on them. It will be a good gauge of just how tired the boys are.

yes against parra at home I think I backed us

I just have that odd feeling we could lose this one, there is far too much complacency and when a team keeps being told they will lose and are expected to but decide to stick together and play for each other, it is a dangerous dangerous thing

I wouldn't be surprised if they rolled us. They have something to play for now and want to prove a point, and we are just treading water till the finals and trying to avoid injury.

I hope we win, but I'm not confident.
I have been saying this for a week now. I hope I am wrong.

Obviously not a TRUE SUPPORTER!!! :~?

We'll win easily. I haven't seen complacency at all lately. The tight game at Shark Park was because they played well and have yet to get flogged from anyone, including the Storm. The game against the Broncs was an excellent display of defense, against the eels, attack. The dragqueens game was a blip and I saw some stupid things happen, but not complacency. I thought they tried hard but everything just turned to ****e. The only game where complacency could be suggested was against the panthers and then we were just plain bad. Being favourites is not a bad thing in itself and doesnt necessarily lead to defeat.

We'll win easily. I haven't seen complacency at all lately. The tight game at Shark Park was because they played well and have yet to get flogged from anyone, including the Storm. The game against the Broncs was an excellent display of defense, against the eels, attack. The dragqueens game was a blip and I saw some stupid things happen, but not complacency. I thought they tried hard but everything just turned to ****e. The only game where complacency could be suggested was against the panthers and then we were just plain bad. Being favourites is not a bad thing in itself and doesnt necessarily lead to defeat.

What was last weeks completion rate, about 60 percent. We are a team going through the motions at the moment, not through complacency, but through fatigue I think. Last weeks performance (especially in the first half) was inept to say the least.

Definitely no complacency. Great win. Really nailed the door shut on the Knights for 2007. That was a pretty impressive performance, even if the Knights are a bunch of nuffies. Helped wipe a few bad memories of '97, although I felt sick having to listen to Roid Boy MacDougall commentate on it.

Shayne Hayne is still an absolute goose of a ref though.

How good was the completion rate in the first half!!!! Sensational, was it 17 from 17 at 1 point?

Happy to be wrong. First half was very good, though the resistance was pathetic. See you against Souths in 10 days time. Hopefully Des will give them a bit of a rest.

Clinical win by the Eagles. Good to see the old Pepsi jersey go round again.

Agree with the comment on Hayne. Tried to keep Drugcastle in the second half with all those penalties. He dead set, had one arm.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4