News: AFL's money tree overshadows NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>THESE are the alarming figures that showcase the NRL's battle to keep pace with the AFL -- and highlight the sense of urgency behind the formation of a rugby league independent commission.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5373-afls-money-tree-overshadows-nrl.html">Read the full article</a>

If Souths are the membership model ...

The NRL and its clubs are rapidly learning the benefits of club membership as a revenue stream. South Sydney has led the way, taking its membership to 20,000 and becoming the first Sydney club to operate at a profit without the aid of poker machine revenue.

The AFL has helped. Rabbitohs officials have learned from the rival code and recently spent two days in Melbourne, studying the practices at Essendon and Collingwood.

"It shows just how much opportunity there is for us to grow," Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson.

Ok, AFL have had many years of doing this compared to NRL but we can make membership a culture in time.

I joined this year for the first time as a member. Living in Wollongong and with a family and teaching job I couldn't buy a season ticket but can make a couple of games etc.

All I want is our club to look professional. I'm happy to pay though as I feel my contribution is a start for all of us to support the Eagles.

What can the club do as a 1st year paid member that stands out to me:

1. Zorba and Lowe don't seem 21st century administrators. We need top switched on footy execs who have connections to highlevel business etc. Imagine getting Elias on the board!! We used to have Jack Elsegood, cardriver!!! Where did Joe Cross go?? He had big time contacts. The Manly Daily doesn't cut it anymore.

2. A website that is up to date. The SG Ball and Matts started last week, the website still shows the 2010 draw and results!!! No team lists, player mentions, draw etc. I get our team news from NSWRL site.

The Toyota cup players are last year, Whare is in there and Tasi only got taken down last week!! Haven't seen Birrigan Young trial yet!! The main site is poorly set out, I'm a member and rarely use it. I'm still not sure (apart from the game tickets) what my membership is worth. Supposedly I am a member of the football/leagues club as I paid the "extra". Didn't get anything in the post there. Don't ask me what I paid for!!

3. Do what Mayer used to do. Keep fans informed. Make the members feel a part of the club. A couple of clips  and Des emails etc emailed to the members.

4. Don't laugh at Souths (really) Star City, big time sponsors, mass media, 20,00 members (with kids) My mate from work gets loads of stuff and emails from Rabbits. He is passionate and INFORMED!! C'mon Zorba etc get moving with connections to fans.

So Souths are profitable without he assistance of poker machines.....I didn't know that Star City had thrown out all of their pokies!

guys, really just some personal connections with members etc will make a huge difference. I know most of us would be quite supportive of the admin if that happened. It would build goodwill and offer us members and fans some chat instead of reading it from th tele like everyone else.

All we need is a up to date 2011 website, many do like a brief read about the players. I haven't a clue about toyota cup, ball or matts from our website. I understand that we cannot get much from juniors but surely toyota cup  and jim beam cup are going to provide players for 1st grade.

Penn should let Zorba go.  Darren's right, professional people, preferably in suits are the go these days.

In regards to the AFL splashing money around...At the school I am at in south western Sydney, we have just started an AFL competition amongst the schools in the area. Instead of organising it in the winter, they are running it in the summer. The amount of freebies the school and the kids have been given is remarkable. I was a little shocked to be honest. We had our first game yesterday and the word coming out of all schools was the kids stating just how fun the game was to play. These kids have been playing both rugby codes and knew nothing about AFL. A few have already stated that they will play it on weekends...I think that the AFL has the resources to keep up the buying of hearts and minds of kids for a long time. I think it is possible for them to gain a decent foothold in western Sydney judging from my experience. The schools almost have to beg the Bulldogs to make school visits but the AFL muscle their way in and give away heaps of prizes. They are not targeting adults, they are targeting kids and kids CAN be bought before they are fully attached to NRL clubs. In primary schools kids just go for whoever wins anyways.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6