NEWS: Barrett’s challenge ahead of Sea Eagles’ finals fling

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Trent Barrett urges Sea Eagles players to take control of NRL finals destiny

by NICK WALSHAW
Source: The Daily Telegraph

MANLY coach Trent Barrett has urged his players to “take control of your destiny” on Monday night against South Sydney.

Needing to win all of their remaining seven games to play finals footy, the Sea Eagles will start favourites against a struggling Bunnies outfit that has slumped to $501 in premiership betting.

Premiers only two years ago, the Rabbitohs have been lumped with their longest title odds since 2008 — when they lost the opening seven games of the season — after going on another horror run of six straight losses.

You can see our confidence increase with every game we win. It still remains a long shot to make the finals but while there's hope there's life.
Some of the credit must go to Barrett for having the balls to stand Stewart down when it became obvious that he was holding the team back.

2 wins in a row and if we can get the momentum going
get the adrenaline flowing
then anything can fcken happen !!!
untitled.png

As much as we can dare to dream, I honestly don't think we'll make the top 8 this year. We still have to play the Dogs away in Round 22 and the Storm at Brookie in Round 23. Sure the Dogs were put to the sword by the Cows on Thursday night in Townsville, but back in Sydney at ANZ they will be a different prospect, though I do think we can beat them. And as for the Storm? At Brookvale we're always a chance and if we're still winning by then that chance will have increased greatly. But the reality is that the Storm are probably the best side in the competition right now (even better than Cronulla IMO) and as much as I hate to admit it any side that has Cooper Cronk and Scam Smith running things are going to be tough to beat, especially with the strike power they have from players like those two Queenslander's plus Koroibete (arguably the fastest player in the NRL) and Vanivalu.

We'll give it a damn good shake, starting with a win tonight over Souffs, but I do think we'll end up just short of the finals like we did last year.

2017 should be a different story however.

We should win the next two, and in fact should beat the Eels to give us #fiveinarow

The games v Dogs / Storm we would be massive underdogs, and the way the Raiders are going it will be similar, hard to see wins there but stranger things have happened.

And 50/50 v the Panthers.

Cannot see us making the 8, but we might cause a few heart palpitations for a few teams in the run in.

I think we will come up 1 game short - the loss to a team cheating the cap earlier in the year/TT's knock back that didn't even get to the bunker would have us in the 8.

Two wins in a row. Yeh. Surely the TAB should have us as at least equal favourites for the title by now. I'd lay a bet but the first half of the year sent me bankrupt.

Two wins in a row. Yeh. Surely the TAB should have us as at least equal favourites for the title by now. I'd lay a bet but the first half of the year sent me bankrupt.

Amazing how the year is panning out almost exactly the same as 2015, terrible start, shocking mid year , better towards the end.

I certainly hope we can buck that trend next year.

Amazing how the year is panning out almost exactly the same as 2015, terrible start, shocking mid year , better towards the end.

I'm wondering if that's a management thing. Players A,b,c,d,e your not wanted. Both years there has been a list or players tapped on the shoulder before the season starts. Can't be good morale to get the season under way.

Players are pissed and just don't want to put in for our club our management because of how they have been treated.

They Come good at the end, because they need to impress another club to play the following year.

Just throwing it out there.

I'm wondering if that's a management thing. Players A,b,c,d,e your not wanted. Both years there has been a list or players tapped on the shoulder before the season starts. Can't be good morale to get the season under way.

Players are pissed and just don't want to put in for our club our management because of how they have been treated.

They Come good at the end, because they need to impress another club to play the following year.

May well have nailed it buddy!!

Never thought of that.

Fingers crossed and hopefully injury free and if we follow the Mark/cleal 5 year plan thingy you say we're doing! :)

me - gf win all the way! woohoo!

Unfortunately its the courtesy of telling players early on that they won't be needed the next year so they have time to sort out other arrangements that is the problem.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing something like they have in the NBL. There clubs are not allowed to enter into talks with players, even their own players coming off contract, until 2 weeks after the Grand Final has finished. Of course, there are ways around that as we know. Players will always have friends involved with other clubs so its a hard thing to police, plus its rather easy for clubs to talk to their own players during a season without the knowledge of the league or media. But the fact is that no club is allowed to sign a current NBL player until two weeks after the GF (overseas based players are free game).

Not sure how that would work in an environment like the NRL though.

Confidence is a wonderful thing and if we can string a few wins together before the 2 tougher games, it may make all the difference. I haven't lost hope quite yet!

No - consider the turnarounds and the injury run at the start that cruelled us before we could get anything going.

It's also interesting to me which teams get the sweet State of Origin draw, namely playing in each of those 4 game rounds. Who got that? Parra. So even with all the help they had, they still found a way to screw it up. Give me those games every year playing against depleted teams, then have the byes on the 6 game rounds.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8