News: Beaver....make me an offer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>MANLY great Steve Menzies is open to offers to return to the NRL as he contemplates another season of top-flight rugby league.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5089-beavermake-me-an-offer.html">Read the full article</a>

Who doesn't want more beaver, honestly. Pay him whatever we can.

It's a shame faz won't be staying

Ant80 link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=184862.msg287556#msg287556 date=1282812560]
Farrar overseas now? f**k me dead.

Linked to Catalans
[/quote]

Sorry, but our recruitment/retention/sponsorship acquisition has been appauling for the past 12 months.

Me thinks there should be more focus from management on issues in Australia in our own backyard, and less focus on "The Club" for viewers in NZ.

Seriously, off the field, it feels like 2004 all over again. Thankfully we have Des and a decent playing group that despite these people, will succeed.

Like Farrar was ever going to get a gig next year Ryan. Our recruitment dept should be praised for doing the swap in the first place. Look at our backs next year, he's not required.

Stewart
Williams
Matai
Lyon
Robbo
Williams
Whare
Oldfield

Ryan link said:
Sorry, but our recruitment/retention/sponsorship acquisition has been appauling for the past 12 months.
So you advocate signing more players named Paul?

Wit
clontaago link said:
Like Farrar was ever going to get a gig next year Ryan. Our recruitment dept should be praised for doing the swap in the first place. Look at our backs next year, he's not required.

Stewart
Williams
Matai
Lyon
Robbo
Williams
Whare
Oldfield
Add Hoppa to that list.
Oldfield and Hoppa look like great prospects, not just fill ins IMO.

Ryan link said:
[quote author=Ant80 link=topic=184862.msg287557#msg287557 date=1282812583]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=184862.msg287556#msg287556 date=1282812560]
Farrar overseas now? f**k me dead.

Linked to Catalans
[/quote]

[/quote]

Retention ?

If you consider the retention of Glenn Stewart, Anthony Watmough, Keiren Foran, Steve Matai and Jamie Lyon appalling I would love to see what you would consider great retention

Which couple of those would you like to punt to get the recruitment side of things in order ?

clontaago link said:

Stewart
Williams
Matai
Lyon
Robbo
Williams
Whare
Oldfield

Try our biggest area of need though Doug - forwards.

And Kiwi, Choc, Stewart & Lyon were all already re-signed, but the announcements were held over to make Graham Lowe look good.

Also, we have NOT signed Foran / Matai. They could just as easily accept a rugby union contract on $500k. I heard that Tasi, JWH and Mitch Pearce are still trying to coax Foran over to The Roosters. It was from a nuffy on the piss, but I heard it none the less.

We've signed nobody, have told Beaver we can't sign him, and Lowe / Crusher / whoever has not signed anyone in his tenure except Harrison.

Add that to the fact we have lost our major sponsor, and a few silver sponsors.

If anyone thinks our forward packs looks unfit, old & injury prone now, imagine what they'll look like with an additional year under their belts. I have to agree with Darren in this respect.

Gone are the days where if we wanted to keep a player, they stay. Over 12 months ago, their appeared a loyalty pact amongst the group. This Lowe era has completely changed that in my opinion.

Sorry if that puts anyone off - I'm still not a fan, and are still yet to see ANY value add from Lowe (I'm excited to see what our membership numbers look like next year with him on board).

Again - he has done great things in NZ (I guess???), but in Australia - he's done nothing...except attend "events", and tell people what he CAN'T do. It's Chalk and cheese between him, and a young, innovative guy like Greenberg (who everyone is now saying may be rorting the cap due to his ability over the past 24 monsth to lure big name players like Pritchard, Morris, Ennis, Stagg, Eastwood & co. to his shores.

He is the greatest player ever to pull on the maroon and white IMO.  Surely we can make something happen and get him back.  Watch the highlights package of the 2008 season.  You wouldn't notice it during the game, but in the highlights you see how he was involved so often in key moments of the game, with a key attacking pass or an important cover tackle.  Would look great in Bailey's jersey on the bench. 

Ryan link said:
[quote author=clontaago link=topic=184862.msg287560#msg287560 date=1282813271]

Stewart
Williams
Matai
Lyon
Robbo
Williams
Whare
Oldfield

Try our biggest area of need though Doug - forwards.

And Kiwi, Choc, Stewart & Lyon were all already re-signed, but the announcements were held over to make Graham Lowe look good.

Also, we have NOT signed Foran / Matai. They could just as easily accept a rugby union contract on $500k. I heard that Tasi, JWH and Mitch Pearce are still trying to coax Foran over to The Roosters. It was from a nuffy on the piss, but I heard it none the less.

We've signed nobody, have told Beaver we can't sign him, and Lowe / Crusher / whoever has not signed anyone in his tenure except Harrison.

Add that to the fact we have lost our major sponsor, and a few silver sponsors.

If anyone thinks our forward packs looks unfit, old & injury prone now, imagine what they'll look like with an additional year under their belts. I have to agree with Darren in this respect.

Gone are the days where if we wanted to keep a player, they stay. Over 12 months ago, their appeared a loyalty pact amongst the group. This Lowe era has completely changed that in my opinion.

Sorry if that puts anyone off - I'm still not a fan, and are still yet to see ANY value add from Lowe (I'm excited to see what our membership numbers look like next year with him on board).

Again - he has done great things in NZ (I guess???), but in Australia - he's done nothing...except attend "events", and tell people what he CAN'T do. It's Chalk and cheese between him, and a young, innovative guy like Greenberg (who everyone is now saying may be rorting the cap due to his ability over the past 24 monsth to lure big name players like Pritchard, Morris, Ennis, Stagg, Eastwood & co. to his shores.
[/quote]

I agree with quite a bit of what you have said but you have to concede that the salary cap is also impacting on our ability to sign players.  We won a premiership 2 years back, players values went up and we had to upgrade a number of contracts.  Whilst I am far from convinced on Lowe it is not all his fault we cannot sign or retain all our players when you have to work in the cap.  Especially with what happened to Melbourne this year, everyone would want to be above board with their contracts. 

What disappoints me is that we are loosing more players than we are signing and retaining.  I know we've had to renew some contracts but it's looking like next year will be difficult for Manly to be a contender with a lower quality team.  It could be even more difficult if Manly have a number of injuries again.

Ryan link said:
It's Chalk and cheese between him, and a young, innovative guy like Greenberg (who everyone is now saying may be rorting the cap due to his ability over the past 24 monsth to lure big name players like Pritchard, Morris, Ennis, Stagg, Eastwood & co. to his shores.

Ryan, I don't believe in the Greenberg is a genius myth. He reminds me of KRudd only with a little more action over words.

If Greenberg's approach is so good can you answer these questions;
1. Do you believe that Hodko's potential is worth a punt of $800k over three years?
2. If Greenberg is so sharp why was he (and Moore I presume) prepared to spend that amount of money on a kid who'd played 9 matches? [I understand that the value of this decision remains unknown]
3. If Greenberg is the ants pants how did he manage to create a real club chemistry last year and only manage to maintain it for one season?
4. Greenberg has taken a club in turmoil and floated the ship (albeit from a low base) but what has he actually achieved with the extreme purchasing program of two years ago? It feels like history repeating at the moment.
5. What has the Manly management (all included) achieved over the last five years? Steady planned improvement resulting in a premiership and what is likely to be a 6th year of consecutive finals appearances. We'll see where they take the club from here.

I'm not naive enough to think that everything's hunky dory and questions should always be asked but Greenberg's results do not yet make him the bastion of CEO brilliance.

Do not forget we have brought up the likes of Oldfield, Whare and Hoppa into NRL.  Next year there will be DCE and I hope a forward or 2.  When you bring players up you do not need to buy as many.  However we do need some forward depth from what I can see, unless Des thinks what we have in the 20's or Qld is enough and he will blood the likes of Lussick etc.  

Bradza link said:
Ryan, I don't believe in the Greenberg is a genius myth. He reminds me of KRudd only with a little more action over words.

I agree. I think Greenberg is the most overrated CEO in the NRL (they give an 'award' for the most overrated player, why not for the most overrated CEO as well?).  I have no idea why everyone seems to rate him so highly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6