News: Brett Stewart 'won't play next month'

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

deadlyeagle

Reserve Grader
<div class="articleBody"><p>It's one of the most anticipated comebacks this NRL season, but Manly coach Des Hasler says fullback Brett Stewart won't be back on the field for at least a month.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/4134-brett-stewart-wont-play-next-month.html">Read the full article</a>

Just what the doctor ordered

29 Jul 09 @ 04:28pm by John Greco
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/just-what-the-doctor-ordered1/

9a3116ae76e2ccd03a0d125e021f270d_resized.jpg

Brett Stewart runs with Chris Bailey at training yesterday.
Picture: SIMON DEAN

HERE’s the picture every Sea Eagles fan has been waiting to see for more than three months.

It’s shows brilliant Manly fullback Brett Stewart back running freely for the first time since suffering a knee injury against the Rabbitohs on April 18.

It’s the best sign yet the 24-year-old is nearing full fitness and may be ready for a return to action in time for the NRL finals.Stewart ran for 15 minutes yesterday while the rest of the Sea Eagles squad completed a field session at the Sydney Academy of Sport in Narrabeen.

It was nothing too strenuous for the Test fullback, just straight line running up and down the field with teammate Chris Bailey.

``At the moment we’re in a situation where we’re winning games without Brett, which is a good sign,’’ coach Des Hasler said yesterday.

``If we get Brett Stewart back it’s a bonus. I think he’s the best fullback in the world.’’

After the highs of the 2008 Premiership, Manly hit rock bottom with a terrible start to this season.

The team’s season launch in March became a debacle with Stewart charged with the alleged sexual assault of a 17-year-old.
Stewart has denied the charge and the matter remains before the courts, the next hearing scheduled for September.

Star player Anthony Watmough was also involved in a dispute with a team sponsor at the launch.

The Sea Eagles then lost six of their first eight matches as boardroom bickering between the Delmege and Penn camps became public.

The team and board has since pulled together with the Eagles now in fifth place and the rest of the NRL sides looking over their shoulders as the finals approach. A coveted top four spot is also not out of the question with games to come against the Tigers, Rabbitohs, Roosters and Storm over the next month, before their star man’s likely return against Cronulla.

It’s understood Stewart will continue similar training for the next three weeks before he is assessed again with a view to a round 25 return.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
It’s the best sign yet the 24-year-old is nearing full fitness and may be ready for a return to action in time for the NRL finals.

Look at the gut on him. Plenty of running to do yet!!

Bloody good sight though.

poor bloke must have been digging into some ice cream at nights. Hes had a rough year.. but its good to see him back.

clontaago link said:

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

Des is really stroppy about the media constant questions on when he is back

http://bigpondvideo.com/NRL_Eagles/196529

clontaago link said:
[quote author=BErKeLEy_eAgLe link=topic=181206.msg234046#msg234046 date=1248852460]

It’s the best sign yet the 24-year-old is nearing full fitness and may be ready for a return to action in time for the NRL finals.

Bloody good sight though.
[/quote]

Oops Bailey is winning, come on Brett get a move on:)

THE sight of superstar Brett Stewart getting mobile on the training paddock is enough to strike fear into the hearts of NRL teams already worried about the recent rise of the Sea Eagles on the competition ladder.

Never mind that he was merely jogging in straight lines and has a few more weeks of rehabilitation to go before Manly consider putting him back on the field.

Stewart, who has not played since round six because of a knee injury, ran while his teammates did ballwork on the field alongside him yesterday.

Manly are aiming at round 25 as a possible return for the representative fullback, but coach Des Hasler went to great pains yesterday to say there was no pressure on Stewart to return on any particular date and that the club would be guided by medical opinion.

‘‘I’ll say it once, I won’t say it loud, but I’ll say it clearly,’’ Hasler began. ‘‘The plan is: Brett has a month of running in front of him. He has completed one week – last week. He has started his second week, and at the end of the month the medical and rehab unit will reassess it. I can’t make it any more clear and I can’t make it any more simple, so questions about when he is coming back I cannot answer, because I would only be hypothesising and I’m not into hypotheticals.’’

Asked if that meant there wouldn’t be a return before round 24 at the earliest, Hasler replied: ‘‘That’s your job to read into that what you want to read. We won’t make a call until the medical and we get a complete report on how he’s gone over the last month.’’

Stewart, who has sexual assault charges hanging over his head as the result of an alleged incident in March, has played just two games for Manly this season. The club won them, but early in the season they struggled without him and lost the first six games in which he didn’t play.

The Sea Eagles have since recovered strongly to win eight of their past 10 games, but as well as they have played to do that it is only natural there will be further, significant improvement once Stewart comes back and gets into the groove again.

‘‘We’re winning games without Brett, so that’s a good start,’’ Hasler said. ‘‘Then, if we get Brett back it’s a bonus, isn’t it, because he’s a pretty exciting player. I think he’s the best fullback in the world – his [try-scoring] strike rate is phenomenal. But we won’t know until at least a month.’’

Manly prop Jason King said it gave the players a lift just to see Stewart on the training track, even if he was doing only light work.

‘‘Yeah, definitely. It’s great to see ‘Snake’ out running today,’’ King said. ‘‘I’m not too sure how his rehab’s going, but it must be going well if he’s out running, so hopefully he’ll be back soon for us. He’d have to get a bit of strength and a bit of fitness and that type of stuff first, but it’s going to give the boys an enormous kick when he does come back.’’

Greg Pritchard http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/sea-eagles-soaring/2009/07/29/1248546773964.html

MANLY coach Des Hasler does not deal in hypotheticals, so he isn't ready to predict when fullback Brett Stewart will return to the NRL. He will say Stewart has a month of running before he will be considered for selection.

Given that time frame, Stewart should be back in a Manly jersey a fortnight or so before the finals. Sea Eagles fans are licking their lips. By then the premiers could be well and truly entrenched in the top eight, maybe even the top four.

Stewart's return will add ammunition to an already well-stocked arsenal. It may prove the difference between defending a premiership and limping out in the finals.

"I will say it once -- I won't say it loud -- but I will say it clearly," Hasler said at Manly training yesterday, where Stewart ran with a trainer.

"The plan is this: Brett has a month of running in front of him. He has completed one week last week and he has started his second week now.

"At the end of the month, the medical and rehab unit will reassess it. I can't make it any more clear and I can't make it any more simple than that.

"So questions about when he's coming back, I cannot answer because I'd only be hypothesising and I'm not into a hypotheticals.

"We won't make a call until the medical (team) give a complete report on how he has gone over the last month.

"That's all I can say."

Stewart has not played since damaging his knee ligaments in April. So important is he to the premiers, the injury prompted bookmakers to blow out Manly's odds of defending their title.

But six wins in their past seven games have forced the bookies to rethink that decision. The Sea Eagles are back as third favourites behind St George Illawarra and the Bulldogs.

The knee injury is not Stewart's only encumbrance. He still has sexual assault charges hanging over his head as a result of an incident that followed the club's pre-season launch.

Regardless, the Sea Eagles are counting the days until their talismanic fullback returns. Manly has an incredible 62.8 per cent winning record when Stewart takes the field.

Until seven weeks ago, they had been unable to perform consistently without him. Recent form suggests they have overcome that hurdle. Nevertheless, his return will be a fillip for a side that has the competition leaders nervously glancing over their shoulders.

After last Friday night's win over Newcastle, Manly is in fifth spot and only three points out of the top four. Should it maintain its form it could go deep into the finals.

"We're in a situation where we're winning games without Brett so I think that's a good thing. That's a good start," Hasler said.

"As it really starts to ramp up and sides (are) hitting form at the right time, then if we get Brett Stewart back, it's a bonus.

"He's a pretty exciting player. I think he's the best full-back in the world. His strike rate is phenomenal, but that's all upside. We won't know until at least a month."

Brent Read http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25854812-5012431,00.html

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
[quote author=Stillman link=topic=181206.msg234081#msg234081 date=1248861905]

So while Georgy has been scoring all of Brett's tries he has been eating all of Georgys Pies. 

clap clap icon required
[/quote]

Here you go B_e
clap.gif

Canteen Worker link said:
Clap from me too. Line of the week!!!
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif