News: Choc wants the captaincy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p class="first">Anthony Watmough, one of the contenders for the Manly Sea Eagles' captaincy, believes he possesses the leadership qualities to be a successful NRL skipper.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4391-choc-wants-the-captaincy.html">Read the full article</a>

AAP smh.com.au

Blockbusting Kangaroos forward Anthony Watmough would love to fulfil his "boyhood dream" of captaining Manly but believes Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler has already decided on a replacement for departing skipper Matt Orford.

Watmough returned to Sydney on Wednesday morning after helping Australia to victory in the Four Nations tournament in England.

The 26-year-old said he had heard on Sunday about veteran halfback Orford's decision to sign with English club Bradford.

"It was a bit of a shock, but in saying that Matty has got to look after himself," Watmough said.

"You don't get long in this game and he's towards the back end of his career, so he's going to do what's best for him."

A Manly local junior, Watmough had no hesitation in registering his interest for the vacant skipper's spot.

Centre Jamie Lyon and prop Jason King, who are members of Manly's existing leadership group along with Watmough, have also reportedly registered interest in the position.

And while keen to do the job, Watmough suggested he wouldn't try and lobby Hasler for the position.

"It's not one of those things you chase, you've just got to wait for it to be handed to you," Watmough said.

"You've got to earn it, so hopefully I've done enough."

Watmough, who is off contract at the end of next year, said he wanted to resolve his future sooner rather than later.

"The tour sort of put things on the backburner a bit, I'll take a week or two off and then will probably start getting back into it," Watmough said of his contract negotiations.

The NSW second-rower said he would definitely like to remain at Manly but also had a young family to consider.

"It's a boyhood dream to captain all the teams in our local area and to do it for your junior club is probably something you remember for ever," Watmough said.

"Steve Menzies did it and a few other people have done it, so if it was offered to me I would have to take it, it would be disrespecting the jersey if you don't."

Watmough dismissed the suggestion Manly would struggle without Orford and had plenty of faith in young contenders Kieran Foran and Trent Hodkinson.

"Kieran Foran has played for New Zealand this year and Trent Hodkinson was the player of the year in the Queensland Cup so they are two talented kids that can do anything.

"They are as tough as nails, so anyone who thinks we are going in there with an underdone halfback is going to be kidding themselves."

Perhaps if Delmege hadn't plied Watmough with grog at this year's season launch he might be considered captaincy material.  Sadly, in the public eye he's a tarnished commodity.  The gig has to go to Lyon, Kite or King.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2