News: Clubs to reclaim game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<a name="contentSwap1"></a><p>NEWS LIMITED, the half-owner of the NRL, has revealed it keenly supports the league's bid for independence, stating that it does not intend to hinder reforms that include the establishment of an independent commission to run the game and ownership of the competition to be split among the 16 clubs. </p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/General-NRL/clubs-to-reclaim-game.html">Read the full article</a>

Hoo bloody ray.

Let us see the fine print, but what a HUGE step forward that would appear to be.

About time. The ownership of the game by a media company has caused massive problems. I hope it can be worked out easily and happily.

It should also stop News Ltd pulling millions out of the game each season as they do currently from the TV rights.  Put it back into the clubs, junior development & bush footy

If Gallop does this I'll take back everything I've ever said about him.

[sub]except for the things I still think[/sub]

The man still slurps big time. I just read a current article where he is still defending Stewart's suspension being longer than the other guy as he was the (you guessed it) "Face of the game." and he stuffed up on a "red letter weekend". I wonder if those particular two phrases are actually written in the NRL Code of Conduct. I think not!

Sounds like me News Ltd is looking for a buyer. Maybe they need to sell some assets to improve revenue for a failing world wide structure of print media.

niccipops link said:
The man still slurps big time. I just read a current article where he is still defending Stewart's suspension being longer than the other guy as he was the (you guessed it) \"Face of the game.\" and he stuffed up on a \"red letter weekend\". I wonder if those particular two phrases are actually written in the NRL Code of Conduct. I think not!

of course, I dont think they are going to be able to "Show grounds" there is a chance, even small that Brett may come back next weekend, we can only hope

Zep link said:
Sounds like me News Ltd is looking for a buyer. Maybe they need to sell some assets to improve revenue for a failing world wide structure of print media.

Maybe the Penns should buy it :)

I represented the Sea Eagles at the Fan Forum back in November, this was an issue and it WAS raised from the floor. Gallop is well aware that it's impossible to hold the game in one hand (and represent them), and in the other hand he holds his loyalty to the owners, News Ltd, who in affect own the game.

This is clear when it comes down to negotiations for TV right, how in fact do you neogiate with yourself, and if you do negotiate with yourself how do you get a better deal??

If it happens it will be a good thing, in the current economic envioronment it's unlikely.

The media work itself into a rabid, mouth-frothing frenzy over the small bikkies like players' nights out and almost entirely avoid the big issues like these systematic News Ltd conflicts of interests.  Of course News Ltd does control this media through direct interests and associations, don't they? It seems only on sites like this one is there a real opportunity for non-Murdoch views to be freely heard. Viva l'internet.

This is what I'm seeing.  Correct me if you see differently, but effectively Murdoch directly/covertly controls:
* The NRL
* Gallop
* The NRL Board, and appointments to the NRL board
* Whose reputations are slurred, and whose are enhanced
* Who is on the judiciary (through direct/indirect means)
* Which referees are appointed, and which are demoted
* The ARL (powerless puppets)
* The Managers, administrators, officials, referees, judiciary
* The rules of the game
* Game times
* Both the buyer and seller of TV rights for the NRL
* Two teams, Storm and Broncos, with 100% ownership
* The other teams e.g. through providing double demerits and the like to any clubs who don't toe the party line
* Who has the uneven advantage to win the NRL premiership (i.e Both the Murdoch 100% owned teams dominate NRL premierships.  Freaky coincidence? Yeah right!).
* Where NRL returns go (into Murdoch/Storm pockets mostly)
* Keeping the game as close to insolvency as possible, insecure, so dependent upon continued Murdoch support, running year to year without carryover reserves.

Hostile takeovers are often euphemistically called "mergers" and there is a superficial appearance of power sharing to keep the plebs happy. Does anyone not think there has been a hostile takeover of the code?
Fans can only regain power when they see the abuses of power, conflicts of interest, etc and revolt, en masse.  A French revolution is overdue. Is one beginning to build?

Rex, whilst I can't disagree with you maybe it's time for some help.

I sort of slip into the whole "what ever will be will be" feeling, there's little we can do as fans to change the "big end of town"....I found that out in November when fronting the NRL, some gerat ideas, full of promise, keen to make a difference AND......well, nothing changes!!

The only thing that will change things is massive drops in attendance and those watching on TV...AND despite all the drama's this doesn't seem to be down in any way, nor is the sale of their newspapers, sort of like one hand feeding the other isn't it??

Time for some therapy my man......now maybe I can suggest a cool Bundy and Coke???

Does the proposed ownership of the NRL by the current 16 teams thereby put an end to any future expansion of the comp?

Jethro link said:
Does the proposed ownership of the NRL by the current 16 teams thereby put an end to any future expansion of the comp?

God I hope not. I was actally hoping that they would readmit the bears use to love watching us play against them

Hope so Jethro. 16 teams is enough. If the game is handed over to the current clubs this could be a positive sign that these clubs will remain in the comp, without any outside influences trying to force them out or merge. I heard this old fella talking about how he used to support Wests but he doesn't support the Wests-Tigers because he hates Balmain.  And didn't we all just love it when Manly were the Northern Eagles? Enough damage has been done to the comp.

niccipops link said:
Hope so Jethro. 16 teams is enough. If the game is handed over to the current clubs this could be a positive sign that these clubs will remain in the comp, without any outside influences trying to force them out or merge. I heard this old fella talking about how he used to support Wests but he doesn't support the Wests-Tigers because he hates Balmain.  And didn't we all just love it when Manly were the Northern Eagles? Enough damage has been done to the comp.

It opens up a whole new can of worms doesn't it. What would happen if one of the existing teams falls over financially? It's happened before & I'm sure it will happen again. What happens then? They hold a share but can't afford to put a team on the field. Will they be forced to sell their share to enable another team from a different area who is financial enough?

You're right Jethro - far too many cans of worms open in this game at the moment. We need to ban all worms (the previous statement was not meant to offend any fine upstanding members of the insect community - except maybe spiders, they're scary).

Nah Spiders are fine it's those Snakes that scare me!!

Folks as I say above, in the current financial situation it isn't going to happen, full stop, end of story!!

When the good times come again (and who know when that will be) maybe, until then we have what we have!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4