News: Coaching staff expected to stay

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

kimox

Manly Sea Eagles throw money at Des Hasler's coaching staff amid fears some would quit club
The Daily Telegraph, November 03, 2011 8:35AM

Fearing a mass walkout of staff, Manly have been forced to shell out pay increases worth a whopping $500,000 to retain key coaching figures.

The Sea Eagles have significantly increased - some say doubled - the wages of top-level members of Des Hasler's coaching team amid fears some would quit Brookvale in protest at the board's blunders.

Premiers: Manly win NRL grand final + 342 Gallery: All the colour and passion from NRL grand final Marks: GF player ratings: Manly + 29 Review: GF player ratings: Warriors + 18 Your say: Talking Points: NRL grand final + 101 Back to back: Manly celebrate with eye to 2012 + 58 Upside: Warriors future bright despite loss: Luck
Already under siege, Manly's management will now outlay the cash to avoid further damaging headlines and additional anger from fans.

The coaching staff couldn't believe their luck. It is understood strength and conditioning coach Don Singe and physiotherapist Andre Rickenbach have re-signed with the club.

Others negotiating new deals include Manly recruitment guru Noel "Crusher" Cleal and high performance analyst Liz Marin. They are also expected to stay.

Club video analyst Will Badel is another Manly want to retain but his future - along with assistant coach Kelly Egan's - remains unclear.

One official said: "It's to maintain stability. The staff have got substantial increases."

Ironically, there were suggestions at one stage that Manly were squabbling over as little as $50,000 with the Hasler deal.

Now Hasler will walk after next season and the club is up for a hefty bill 10 times that amount. Manly have lost some staff in the past few weeks.

Dave Warwick, coaching and development manager, has left for Canterbury-Bankstown; Alicia Keogh, events and game-day operations manager, has joined the RAS Showgrounds; Jessica Ivers, the club's digital expert, has also left.

Ironically, $500,000 is the same figure Manly - like all clubs - are seeking in funding from an NRL bank loan. "The money will come in one day and go straight out the next," said one well-placed source.

Rookie Manly chief operating officer David Perry walked away from all the internal dramas on Tuesday to enjoy a day at the Melbourne Cup.

Given the board's recent dramas, players continue to speak privately about having one representative on the Sea Eagles' seven-man board.

Players feel the football club should relinquish one of its two seats for a players' voice.

The bulk of Manly's premiership-winning team will return to training in mid-November, with the club's rep stars to return a week later.

Manly remain $7 favourites for next year's title according to TAB Sportsbet.

Good, Donny Singe is worth every cent. It's about time the support staff were paid commensurate with their skill level. And the players should have a rep on the board.

Well it is expensive but to maintain the core 'team' within the team is paramount to keeping the NRL side on board as well.

Totally agree DSM the players should have a voice because they are the business - Jason King, Brent Kite, Glen Stewart would be great candidates - come on Bob Reilly do the right thing - give up your seat to one of the players

Good news, especially if crush is signed.

I will look forward to seeing how tooves goes, hopefully after 12 rounds in 2012 he does the majority of the coaching role.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
There is one more I want Manly to tie up for long term
thats Keiran Foran

He is tied up untill 2014, but thier is nothing we can do with the get out clause.

DSM5 said:
Good, Donny Singe is worth every cent. It's about time the support staff were paid commensurate with their skill level. And the players should have a rep on the board.

Not so sure about that. Sounds good in theory but it doesn't always work out. Really depends on the rest of the make up of the board and the individual player. Player empowerment worked great the Brumbies in the initial years but it eventually played a part in the teams decline. It can also get messy, ie player misbehaves, board fines him then bad blood between the player rep on the board and the player himself. As I said, it can work, but too much risk for me.

Ceagle said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:
There is one more I want Manly to tie up for long term
thats Keiran Foran

He is tied up untill 2014, but thier is nothing we can do with the get out clause.

As long as Des isn't sacked the clause means nothing. If Foran is contracted until the end of next season then he is free to do what he wants after that. Hopefully he will be staying with us.

"Jessica Ivers, the club's digital expert, has also left."

I find this interesting. Was she part of the Hopoate package to the Eels?

I'm not a fan of having players on the board at all. They should be left to concentrate on playing and not enter into the politics of the club. Imagine how much of a distraction it would be! And, the board should be looking towards the long term future of the club and I reckon players would be a little short sighted, concentrating on their own career span.

What I do want is a harmonious board where we can leave all the crap we've heard about over the past few years behind.

Aside from the fact that this is all paper talk, there is only one prominent Manly player at present who appears 'equipped' in terms of intellect, education and emotional maturity to take a seat at board level. That would of course be Jason King.

I imagine the club are looking at Jason for an off-field role in the years ahead anyway.

Did you notice that a good news story about our club was twisted into a negative by raving on about the fact that we had to pay 500000 to keep them all. I reckon its a small price to pay to keep these backroom legends.

Really damaging news soon to break.... DES caught on camera picking his nose.... It is like every decision and action is reported these days. You think they could lead with "DES clears a blockage".
Manly give pay rises buying loyalty.... If Manly kept the same pay structure.... They would be seen to be clearing out the training staff. You never win with the media, warnie couldn't spin this good.

Kelly Egan was going anyway and about Des Picking his nose,see he hasnt even gone to the dogs yet and he is starting their bad habits

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2