News: Commission still a year away: Gallop

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<div class="articleBody" />
<p>FORGET March. The NRL independent commission is still 12 months away.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5339-commission-still-a-year-away-gallop.html">Read the full article</a>

12 months to find someone decent to head it up and get rid of this muppet Gallop from our game altogether.

He's a News Limited "yes" man, who's primary concern is for self preservation and tenure, than the improvement of the game as a whole.

Must be a Rugby League wide sentiment.

In who's interests is it for the next TV deal to not be negotiated under an independent commission?

I'd say Gallop is thinking long term for his personal security. He's a law practicioner I believe, and was working with / for News Limited during the Super League war.

He could always "make a deal", knowing that if he was ousted, there is his old job sitting there waiting for him going forward.

That's my concern.

Another agreement with Ryan.  Gallop is the main danger to the game progressing.  His self interest is palpable and he's a real liability on the promotion front.  I would hope that the board of our great club would speak against, and vote accordingly against his appointment to anything related to the Great game.

From a Manly perspective I would feel somewhat relieved if Gallop where to fade out of site, I realise he is a professional but it's hard not wonder if he has his preferences (his helicopter trip and overnight stay at Crowe's property comes to mind). I will leave it to others to draw their own conclusions in regards to where we may stand but i would hazard to guess it would be know where near the front of the queue.

DSM5 link said:
...Gallop is the main danger to the game progressing...  I would hope that the board of our great club would speak against, and vote accordingly against his appointment to anything related to the Great game.

The only way that will happen is if we, as members, put pressure on them to do so. Make it a condition of your ongoing membership that they refuse to edorse him as a candidate.

Rex link said:
In who's interests is it for the next TV deal to not be negotiated under an independent commission?

And why are they fast tracking negotiations ( for rights which start in 2013) and shunting the independant commission? If the rights are completed by june that's 18 months before they come into effect, could they really not wait another six months so the IC can sign off on them. Oh wait it's News Corp, carry on ::).

Actually there are a lot of reasons why the current NRL structure would want to handle the negotiations for the next TV rights.

1. They would be close to finishing them already. The AFL just wrapped up theirs, I would think we are very close. The worst thing that could happen is that our result is lower. No wait, the worse thing that could happen is that our is lower and one of the first things the new IC does is sign off on them. Better to get them out of the way first.

2. The IC would be unpredictable in terms of approving new teams, and these new teams might be required for the new TV deal. As such better to push the IC down the road 6 months / 1 year, approve the new teams and them move on.

Those are my less cynical reasons, the cynical ones would all relate to Gallops integrity and NwsLtd wanting to control both sides of the TV negotiations again.

The AFLs deal starts next year, ours doesn't start until 2013. I can understand Gallop dealing with the broadcasters but I don't see why the current NRL board have to approve the deal instead of waiting for the IC. Or here's an idea, why not fastrack the IC instead of the rights deal. The only reason I see for them doing this is to get their last pound of flesh before their massive conflict of interest dissappears.

Cletus link said:
The AFLs deal starts next year, ours doesn't start until 2013. I can understand Gallop dealing with the broadcasters but I don't see why the current NRL board have to approve the deal instead of waiting for the IC. Or here's an idea, why not fastrack the IC instead of the rights deal. The only reason I see for them doing this is to get their last pound of flesh before their massive conflict of interest dissappears.

Yes the AFL deal starts earlier, but that does not mean that they are negotiated separately. The NRL would not have waited for the AFL to eat up all the networks available cash, they had to get in at the same time.

And my guess is that it is an image thing. The current NRL board want to immunize the IC from the criticism that will flow freely when the deal is less then we want it to be. The deal is as good as done, anyone who thinks that the networks don't have an idea of where they are going with NRL now that the AFL is finalized is not thinking. All that is left is for the final details to be worked out and the deal to be announced.

manlyborn link said:
From a Manly perspective I would feel somewhat relieved if Gallop where to fade out of site, I realise he is a professional but ...
Gallop's a professional?  When did this change occur?

Delaying the IC means News Ltd negotiates with News Ltd for how much News Ltd pays the game for TV rights.  And with the News Ltd appointee, Gallop, in charge of negotiating on behalf of the game.

Guess who gets screwed over once again for TV Rights under this scenario?

I have absolutely no idea about the corporate world, so feel free to rip in.
Doesn't the fact that the AFL are an independent body bode well for us.?
It has been proven that our product is worth equal/more dollars than the AFL's and they will be unfettered of News limited shackles at the bargaining table, so one would think we could not be expected to take anything less.
My logic could very well be lop sided but it would certainly take a fair amount of termerity for Gallop to suggest we take anything less.

There is a reference in this article to the possibility that the rights to broadcast all matches could go to the One network operated by channel 10.  That would be absolutely devistating to Foxtel, but how good would it be for the game?  I know I would cancel my Foxtel subscription and I imagine thousands of people in NSW and Qld would do the same.

With James Packer and Lachlan Murdoch each acquiring a stake in channel 10 they would have the financial resources to do it and if Gallop's lines about the importance of exposure and promotion of the game is not just empty rhetoric he would have to have a very compelling reason to sign up with Foxtel insead of One.

Of couse that compelling reason could quite possibly be that it isn't in News Ltd's best interests (well, it is the reason for most of his decisions!).... However, if News starts selling down its stake in Foxtel, watch out for NRL on One to happen.

problem is packer and murdoch and stokes ( 7) all have a piece of fox sports as well, so in reality many times its a win/win situation. They bid for there own network but if the lose they still get a piece of the action.At some point there must be some price where its better just to take there cut fron fox id pressume

When Packer bought into 10 it was said a likely scenario was that he would close down ONE (or change it dramatically) and force sports lovers on to Fox. That makes more sense to me. Unfortunately.

Unfortunately I suspect you are right jbb and MB.

This makes for a good read on the subject:

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf/Article/James-Packer-Network-Ten-Foxtel-pay-TV-pd20101020-ADR3H?OpenDocument&src=sph

Foxtel's lack of programming is more obvious than ever now that all the free to air networks are running constant re-runs of Two and a Half Men, Seinfeld and the Simpsons as well.

I live in hope that one day they will lose the rights to NRL and I can disconnect...

Yeah i agree marcus, its pretty much the only reason i have it as well.

But no FTA network is going to show every game unfortunately.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4