News: Delmege vows to sell Manly to the fans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
MANLY co-owner Max Delmege has re-affirmed his intention to eventually return the ownership of the club to Sea Eagles fans and members and will resist any bid by fellow shareholder Scott Penn to buy his stake.

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/Sea-Eagles/delmege-vows-to-sell-manly-to-the-fans.html">Read the full article</a>

I'm not going to respond to this.  We've been down this road many times and it's all speculation and newpaper rubbish.  Wait till after tonight's meeting and maybe, just maybe, there will be some sort of closure.  I'll hold my fire until there's some reality. 

At last count the "fans" had paid off something like $40,000, and since then the membership rate has fallen through the floor.

It's going to be a long wait.  I can't see the fans buying the club until long after Max is six feet under.

Buying shares in public companies is all about the company having excellent management. 

Why would the fans want to buy shares in the club when they are going to make Grant Mayer resign this week.  He is the best CEO since Arko and is being pushed out because of political infighting and not based on performance

Delmege you can keep your shares.  

I could become a shareholder. I could go the AGM and get served cold sausage rolls and warm beer while the board did whatever it liked. Oh yeah, I don't need to buy shares for that to happen.  ::)

Tookey, I believe the juries still out on Grant Meyer being the best CEO since, forever.

DSM5 link said:
Tookey, I believe the juries still out on Grant Meyer being the best CEO since, forever.

He has certainly gained more sponsorship for Manly than either reilly or Phillip dean.

He is certainly better than Ian thompson or the union bloke who i cannot remember his name.  Can you suggest a better alternatove as CEO?

If you believe the Telegraph today, Bob Reilly is pushing for Mayer to fall on his sword and resign now to supposedly solve the current problem.

Reading into this, it is clear that he believes that the issue is the relationship between Mayer and Max. (What has Mayer done or not done to Max?)

Up till recently Max didn't even attend board meetings so it seems that Reilly and co seem it is more important to keep Max placated than to save Mayer.

As Max's money is not so essential now, what special contribution does he currently make that demands that Mayer is shafted?

It seems ludicrous for the chair of the football club board to be publicly advocating the CEO step down immediately in the middle of the season, when we have many other players off contract, we are performing poorly and there is a stench about the club that makes us look poor in the general public. Phil Blake and Geoff Toovey are suggested as alternative CEOs.

Reading the article there seems to be a thing over the non production of a business plan.  BPs are something the CEO is responsible for and an integral instrument when moving a business forward.  If the Board did ask for one to be produced and it wasn't then there's the issue.  Toovs would make an excellent CEO.  He has business and board experience.  A chartered Accountant and a Manly legend.  All good. 

Tooves may be very good, if he has the business acumen to make a go of it. If the business plan is the big issue - fine but methinks that there is more to this than that. We won the comp, administratively things were healthy, sponsorship is up, the club was internally happy and the future was looking promising. Suddenly, egos blow up, misinformation is rife, owners are in a media competition to prop themselves up and a few 'snouts in the trough have their noses out of joint'.

Canteen Worker link said:
Reading into this, it is clear that he believes that the issue is the relationship between Mayer and Max. (What has Mayer done or not done to Max?)
Delmege Commercial pulls out as main sponsor of ManlyArticle from: Font size: Decrease Increase Email article: Email Print article: Print Submit comment: Submit comment By Dean Ritchie
September 18, 2008 11:00pm

MANLY were last night rocked by the withdrawal of Delmege Commercial as their major sponsor - just one win from a second successive grand final appearance.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Sea Eagles will today start their search for a company willing to pay $1 million a season to be their premier sponsor.

However, Max Delmege, head of Delmege Commercial, will continue to be the club's part-owner. "It has been a sensational ride and I'm not going anywhere. I'm still one of the club's owners," Delmege said.

Win the ultimate grand final prize – tickets, limo transfers, behind-scenes tour: ENTER HERE
Sea Eagles chief executive Grant Mayer denied the move would rock Manly's premiership aspirations.

Mayer said the ideal length for a sponsorship would be three years.

Delmege has been major sponsor for six years and came onboard in 2002 when Manly were 72 hours from going under.

News of the drama leaked out at Manly's fan day yesterday afternoon at Brookvale Oval.

But club champion Steve Menzies tried to calm Northern Beaches nerves with a prediction businesses would clamour to fill the $1million black hole left by the withdrawal of Delmege Commercial.

``It's sad Max is going as our sponsor but I am sure companies out there will want to be involved in a club like Manly,'' Menzies said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
thats ure answer cw

Jethro link said:
MANLY co-owner Max Delmege has re-affirmed his intention to eventually return the ownership of the club to Sea Eagles fans and members and will resist any bid by fellow shareholder Scott Penn to buy his stake.

<a href=\"http://www.silvertails.net/news/Sea-Eagles/delmege-vows-to-sell-manly-to-the-fans.html\">Read the full article</a>

Max opened his mouth and demanded Penn make an offer. Penn called his bluff and did so and now Delmege's share is not for sale.

Max tried to bluff the fans by saying Penn wants to move us to the CC. This was laid to rest as everyone is aware that cant happen. Now Max reverts to his old plan of selling the club back to the fans.

If this were a game of chess Penn would be $1.01 with the bookies at this stage. Max has been out manouvered everytime.

Sell up and move on Max, you are way out of your depth.

Cliffy Gc link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=179931.msg216585#msg216585 date=1238544945]
Delmege Commercial pulls out as main sponsor of ManlyArticle from: Font size: Decrease Increase Email article: Email Print article: Print Submit comment: Submit comment By Dean Ritchie
September 18, 2008 11:00pm

MANLY were last night rocked by the withdrawal of Delmege Commercial as their major sponsor - just one win from a second successive grand final appearance.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Sea Eagles will today start their search for a company willing to pay $1 million a season to be their premier sponsor.

However, Max Delmege, head of Delmege Commercial, will continue to be the club's part-owner. "It has been a sensational ride and I'm not going anywhere. I'm still one of the club's owners," Delmege said.

Win the ultimate grand final prize – tickets, limo transfers, behind-scenes tour: ENTER HERE
Sea Eagles chief executive Grant Mayer denied the move would rock Manly's premiership aspirations.

Mayer said the ideal length for a sponsorship would be three years.

Delmege has been major sponsor for six years and came onboard in 2002 when Manly were 72 hours from going under.

News of the drama leaked out at Manly's fan day yesterday afternoon at Brookvale Oval.

But club champion Steve Menzies tried to calm Northern Beaches nerves with a prediction businesses would clamour to fill the $1million black hole left by the withdrawal of Delmege Commercial.

``It's sad Max is going as our sponsor but I am sure companies out there will want to be involved in a club like Manly,'' Menzies said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
thats ure answer cw
[/quote]

The ironic thing about it is, Max has a gripe about the way this story broke and says it de-stabilised his business (I suspect Max and Robbie were doing a pretty good job of that themselves) but if you go back and read the original media release, Delmege is quoted extensively and it almost reads like a sop to him.

If he wanted to put his own name out there in the public domain with a media release, replete with soft quotes, he should not be perturbed when the Terror finds an alarmist angle to it.  Once he signed off on his quotes, the line the journos take is out of the hands of anyone at the club, including Mayer and Zorba.

DSM5 link said:
Reading the article there seems to be a thing over the non production of a business plan.  BPs are something the CEO is responsible for and an integral instrument when moving a business forward.  If the Board did ask for one to be produced and it wasn't then there's the issue.  Toovs would make an excellent CEO.  He has business and board experience.  A chartered Accountant and a Manly legend.  All good. 

Toovey's ex wife won't be voting for him.

I do not think it is a good idea for toovey to be the ceo just yet, he is too close to the current team and i would have to question if he was able to show no bias when it comes to making tough decisions. In saying that we could do a lot worse, I would be interested to hear what the man himself has to say.

Very nice slag Tookey.  Bit below the belt I would have thought.  How's your relationship? 

Grooming Toovey might be a great decision but Fulton makes some excellent points. I still can't understand why certain parties want to get rid of Mayer except to keep their own noses in the trough and to keep part of the gravy train.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6