News: Dusty Kangaroos set to bounce back

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<div class="content-item" />
<p />MANLY forward Anthony Watmough believes he must take it “up a notch” to help the Kangaroos overcome England in Wigan this weekend.

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4353-dusty-kangaroos-set-to-bounce-back.html">Read the full article</a>

Choc "insulted" at forward jibes

KANGAROOS cannonball Anthony Watmough says it is an "insult'' that rival teams target the side's forwards as its achilles heel - and dared England to try it at their peril.

The English pack - spearheaded by captain Jamie Peacock, former Roosters enforcer Adrian Morley, Tigers import Gareth Ellis and Souths-bound 20-year-old Sam Burgess - is expected to adopt the same philosophy as the Kiwis in the Four Nations match at Wigan on Sunday.

Just as they did in the World Cup final, New Zealand's no-frills pack rocked the Kangaroos early in their opening match of the tournament at the Twickenham Stoop, which ended in a 20-all draw.

"It is an insult,'' Watmough said of rival forwards considering the Australian pack as a weak link.

"We've got some good forwards. I don't think they'll be going through us. We were a bit rusty on the weekend. They tried to come up the middle but I think we did a good job of holding them out.''

One man in particular who will need containing is Burgess, who has signed a four-year deal with Souths from next season. The Australians identified his ability to offload as one of the few highlights in England's less than convincing 34-12 win over France last weekend.

"He's very impressive,'' prop Petero Civoniceva said.

"For us, defensively we need to improve a hell of a lot. He's got a lot of mobility for a big man and he promotes the ball.

"From a pack's perspective, I suppose it is going to be a pretty tough task taking on Morley, Ellis and Burgess.

"We know what to expect from Adrian Morley and what a tough competitor he is. We know he'll lead from the front like he always does.

"And Ellis and Burgess on the edges of the ruck. Every time they took the line on against France they carried a few defenders with them and they've got that ability to pop an offload as well. Defensively, we have to improve a lot.''

Said Watmough: "They have a massive pack. They have front-rowers in the back-row like the Kiwis. So we're going to have to really stand up but I'm sure we'll be stronger come Saturday.

"Their whole pack did a number on the French in the second half. They got a few offloads away. We have to stop that. If we do we'll go a long way toward winning the game.

"And Burgess is a massive talent. I'm pretty sure he'll be able to handle the NRL like Gareth did.''

The Australians only completed their first ball session since arriving in Leeds on Tuesday, and you can bet they were devising clever ways to adapt to the flexible interpretation of the 10m and ruck under England referee Steve Ganson.

England coach Tony Smith does not hold any sympathy for the Kangaroos after his side struggled under Australian referees during last year's disastrous World Cup.

"Last year, we had an Aussie ref all the way through the World Cup,'' the Australian-born coach said.

"It was difficult for us because we were used to different interpretations.

"We struggled with the readjustment of wrestling on the ground. It was a different interpretation to what we were used to.

"We were way behind the eight ball in that tournament and it hurt us.

"I think the interpretations are a lot closer now because the ruck speed has gone the other way in Australia, from very slow to amazingly quick.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/anthony-watmough-insulted-at-forward-jibes/story-e6frexnr-1225791820716

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6