News: Eagles down as Harrigan sacked

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>MANLY coach Des Hasler has questioned the set-up of the referees coaching structure following the Dragons convincing 32-10 victory over the Sea Eagles at Kogarah Jubilee Oval on Monday night.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5067-eagles-down-as-harrigan-sacked.html">Read the full article</a>

''Geez, was it Bill Harrigan, was it?'' Hasler mused afterwards. ''He's the referees' coach? Yeah. Well I think Bill got it wrong. That's my opinion. There was clearly separation. Someone's got to referee Bill, and tell Bill. But if Bill's the referees' coach, then who tells Bill?''

FURIOUS Manly Immortal Bob Fulton last night described Bill Harrigan as a "blight on the game" and called on NRL CEO David Gallop to sack him as video referee immediately.

Harrigan awarded Dragons centre Mark Gasnier a controversial "benefit of the doubt" try in the 30th minute of St George Illawarra's 32-10 win over Manly, even though Gasnier appeared to drop the ball short of the tryline as he was tackled by Manly defenders. It gave the Saints a 10-0 lead and may have cost Manly a top-four finish.

"It was the worst decision by a video referee since the video ref was introduced [by Super League in 1997]," Fulton said.

"The decision was a joke. Harrigan is a blight on the game and he must be sacked as a video ref.

"[NRL referees coach] Robert Finch has to axe Harrigan now. If Finch doesn't, then David Gallop must step in - the buck stops with Gallop.

"Harrigan's decisions are becoming increasingly wrong. There are finals positions on the line and spots for the top four. He should not be allowed back in the video referee's box again."

It was back in 1987 when Fulton famously told Harrigan: "I hope you get run over with a cement truck."

Former Test halfback Greg Alexander, who called the match for Fox Sports, was just as bewildered at the decision.

"What planet is Bill on tonight?" Alexander asked.

Some of the commentators were asking is a saints supporter had kidnapped Harrigan and jumped in the box instead

Agree with Bozo - he is a blight on the NRL, he shoudl be sacked and not stood down

Some observations from the ground

It was interesting to see Cecchin signal a forward pass (he was right in front of us) and then change his mind for Foran's try.

The 2 touchies were having a good chat and chuckle as they met under the posts for Sowards kick after the dropped ball try by Gasnier

At one stage both refs were "officiating" from the same side of play (ie one of them was out of position)

As we were leaving the ground Gasnier was being interviewed and the conversation was something along the lines of "Your dad was in the seat in front of me and loved your try and said that you used to practise that in the back yard" "What... dropping it?" was Gasniers reply

The refs have a tough job and I wouldn't do it for the world but with 4 on field officials, video ref, latest and greatest technology that slows play down to the n'th degree and decisions still being made that baffle so many educated people I must admit to be wondering what the hell is going on?

By the way, how come we keep getting Cecchin (was that the 3rd or 4th game in a row?) - I really don't like the way he smirks when we drop points or get a penalty against us.

Does anyone think the introduction of the video ref, or the two referees, has improved the game?
Give me the days when a decision was made with the naked eye, a player had to have full control of the ball to score a try, when the stripping rule was confined to Manly Beach, and where common sense prevailed.

Go back to an in-goal judge to see if the ball gets down. If he and the refs and touchies miss it then its too bad but these video refs slowing **** down to nano seconds is complete bull****. Kill off the video refs NOW.

vidmar link said:

It was interesting to see Cecchin signal a forward pass (he was right in front of us) and then change his mind for Foran's try.

The 2 touchies were having a good chat and chuckle as they met under the posts for Sowards kick after the dropped ball try by Gasnier

At one stage both refs were \"officiating\" from the same side of play (ie one of them was out of position)

As we were leaving the ground Gasnier was being interviewed and the conversation was something along the lines of \"Your dad was in the seat in front of me and loved your try and said that you used to practise that in the back yard\" \"What... dropping it?\" was Gasniers reply

The refs have a tough job and I wouldn't do it for the world but with 4 on field officials, video ref, latest and greatest technology that slows play down to the n'th degree and decisions still being made that baffle so many educated people I must admit to be wondering what the hell is going on?

By the way, how come we keep getting Cecchin (was that the 3rd or 4th game in a row?) - I really don't like the way he smirks when we drop points or get a penalty against us.

Hey,Vid,the refs getting caught both on one side of the ruck happens all the time.Some times it's one tackle,and they get back in position quickly.Other times I've seen up to 3 tackles before the dunces get it right.

Barry Hyland link said:
Does anyone think the introduction of the video ref, or the two referees, has improved the game?
Give me the days when a decision was made with the naked eye, a player had to have full control of the ball to score a try, when the stripping rule was confined to Manly Beach, and where common sense prevailed.

About time they got rid of Harrigan. Discraceful decision. SAdly that was no excuse for our poor showing lst night. I actually like the video refs, most of the time they work well and more often then not prevents controversial decisions. But I agree on the 2 ref issues, it hasn't improved the game at all.

Can't wait to hear him on Talkin' Sport to try and justify his decision for half an hour and tell us that all is good in referee land.

Barry Hyland link said:

1 of the fella's at work made a good point today

When you watch the 20s, with 1 ref, and no video, do you notice many diabolical calls ?

Sure it is a slower pace and less pressure, but they seem to get on fine with the old system

Going to meet up with a couple of mates at the pub quiz tonight, no doubt the ref's will get a run, I will be complaining about the Gasnier try, The Penrith lad will be up in arms about the Farah try which was woeful as well, and the Warriors boy finds an issue with the ref every week haha

Kiwi Eagle, your mate is correct. Before video ref and all the stoppages a ref may make a mistake but you had barely time to jeer before the play had restarted and the issue had passed. Now you get a couple of minutes to get angrier and angrier and the bad decision is magnified.

ayjay007 link said:
[quote author=vidmar link=topic=184701.msg285315#msg285315 date=1282008461]

At one stage both refs were \"officiating\" from the same side of play (ie one of them was out of position)

As we were leaving the ground Gasnier was being interviewed and the conversation was something along the lines of \"Your dad was in the seat in front of me and loved your try and said that you used to practise that in the back yard\" \"What... dropping it?\" was Gasniers reply

Hey,Vid,the refs getting caught both on one side of the ruck happens all the time.Some times it's one tackle,and they get back in position quickly.Other times I've seen up to 3 tackles before the dunces get it right.
[/quote]

Nah this was different, that happens when the play is too quick. In this occasion they just both ended up on the same side and after the first play in the new set one of them looked over and saw the other and then realized. Meanwhile they missed a high tackle as they were both looking to make sure the dragons were onside.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4