News: Eagles still not the ones

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>SEA Eagles management will this week demand answers from the Nine Network in a bid to overturn their schedule which continues to ignore the premiership high-flyers.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/4752-eagles-still-not-the-ones.html">Read the full article</a>

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-filthy-over-channel-nine-snub/story-e6frexnr-1225864696776

Manly chief executive Graham Lowe yesterday labelled the snub as "flawed" and "embarrassing for the game".

The Sea Eagles will have to wait until round 13 before the Nine cameras roll into Brookvale for a match against Brisbane on Sunday afternoon.

Manly are stunned their match with traditional rivals Parramatta - in NRL heritage week - has been pushed back to Monday night with Nine to telecast Cronulla's match against Penrith at Toyota Stadium this Sunday.

Nine opted to cover Melbourne versus Brisbane last Sunday with the big game between Manly and St George Illawarra a Fox Sports game on Saturday night.

And ratings for the Storm-Broncos game were down in Sydney.

The Anzac Day game the previous weekend between St George Illawarra and the Roosters attracted more than 315,000 viewers in Sydney - Sunday's match was watched by 250,000 people. It did rate strongly in Brisbane though.

The Manly-Parramatta game will be the Sea Eagles' fourth Monday night match in 10 rounds.

Privately, Manly are filthy their jumper and shorts sponsors are being overlooked while the sponsors of Melbourne - salary cap cheats - are obtaining ample exposure.

"It's obviously a concern. We raised this matter with Nine a month ago and the situation has not improved," said Lowe. "We are seeking a meeting with the station's executives to find out why we are one of the front-running teams in the comp yet are on the nose at Nine.

"We have been more than patient but our fans are increasingly asking why they cannot see their team on free-to-air television. It's got to the embarrassing stage for Channel 9 and, unfortunately, for the game.

"We are thrilled with the coverage Fox Sports is providing but unfortunately not everyone has pay-TV.

"Fox must be laughing because they are getting the feature games when Nine has first choice.

"With all due respect, the Cronulla-Penrith game is not the feature match this Sunday. In fact, it is probably the third-rated game of the three matches being played."

Nine's director of sport, Steve Crawley, was unavailable for comment yesterday but NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said: "Manly have made it clear they are unhappy about the situation and given their current form I can appreciate their view.

"However, it must be remembered that games are currently being selected some 10 weeks in advance and there is a degree of guess work in predicting the most attractive game so far advanced."

10 weeks ago I could have told them that was a dud choice

there a few games that you look for in the draw,

Parra v Manly
Brisbane v Titans v N Qld
Penrith v West Tigers,
St George v Souths.

You would think any of those would get a atleast 1 of the 3 free to air games.

Channel Nine treat the game and the fan with contempt, and are paying for it as all their goodwill leaches away. 

Personally I'm glad of a Manly game being on Fox Sports.  It saves us from the ridiculous situation of the game being shown delayed (inevitable with Channel 9 on Sunday afternoons for all, and for Queensland viewers on Friday night) and having the score revealed by electronic means. 

Reality is Fox Sports offers no advertising in their games, options like viewers choice which puts the power of selection in the hands of the patron, and their commentary team is not blighted by a cult of personality and petty agenda.

Leave Manly on Foxsports is my call.  I care not a fig for Channel 9 and their mediocrity. 

what's worse will be the rd16 v Penrith fnf we get will probably be the 2nd game as the other game that nite is DraGoons vs tigers

I wonder if Channel nine's selection of Manly would be different if Manly was on a big losing streak? Maybe they think that the viewers don't want to see Manly winning and are just worrying about their ratings. To me, that seems to be their mentality.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
what's worse will be the rd16 v Penrith fnf we get will probably be the 2nd game as the other game that nite is DraGoons vs tigers

Doesn't one of the Friday night games have to be a QLD team? I thought Ch9 used that excuse earlier on in the season that one of the games had to be.

so they have been selected 10 weeks in advanced but games only get announced 5 weeks in advanced.....hmmm

Good point dan, if i was Mark from Brissy i would be fuming.

I don't mind Monday night football from a working/going out perspective... There is normally always something happening on a Fri, Sat night and sun afternoon. Monday nothing is ever on.

Matabele link said:
Channel Nine treat the game and the fan with contempt, and are paying for it as all their goodwill leaches away. 

Personally I'm glad of a Manly game being on Fox Sports.  It saves us from the ridiculous situation of the game being shown delayed (inevitable with Channel 9 on Sunday afternoons for all, and for Queensland viewers on Friday night) and having the score revealed by electronic means. 

Reality is Fox Sports offers no advertising in their games, options like viewers choice which puts the power of selection in the hands of the patron, and their commentary team is not blighted by a cult of personality and petty agenda.

Leave Manly on Foxsports is my call.  I care not a fig for Channel 9 and their mediocrity. 

I know it's selfish, but I feel the same way.

I can see why it's bad for the club though.. tough for our sponsors.

I wonder what the foxsports ratings are compared to nein? Would foxsports be significantly less?

Does anyone else smell a conspiracy here?? With the new broadcasting deal coming out it seems all to convenient to me that nine seem to be showing games that rate lower then the games they don't pick. I mean seriously, how on Earth do they pick the Sharks vs Penrith game over the Manly vs Eels game. Even picking the teams 10 rounds out the Manly vs Eels game is a must.

That to me shows nine wants to downgrade NRL ratings so they can say "but the ratings weren't good this year", then can argue to not pay as much as the games worth.

As far as i'm concerned, nines coverage is outdated anyway. Much prefer Fox sports. At least on the Monday night show they have pre and post game commentaries and show the press conferences. Nine would never do that in a million years!

It wouldnt surpirse me what 9 would do but if they piss off the NRL they might come 2nd in the tender process although I udnerstand that they have 1st & last call.

Why do you suppose Matty Johns has a show on seven, for no particular reason?.

Remember the days when the NRL was shown on Seven and Moose used to call the game. Who knows who will get rights to broadcast rugby league in the future.

I love it when we are on 9, mainly because for me I get to see it Live and uninterrupted with the commentators I enjoy listening too.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
I love it when we are on 9, mainly because for me I get to see it Live and uninterrupted with the commentators I enjoy listening too.

kiwi with comments like that you need the font "sarcastica".

Nate link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=183283.msg262239#msg262239 date=1273556038]

kiwi with comments like that you need the font "sarcastica".
[/quote]

ahah I think he's serious..

nita link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=183283.msg262209#msg262209 date=1273532794]

Personally I'm glad of a Manly game being on Fox Sports.  It saves us from the ridiculous situation of the game being shown delayed (inevitable with Channel 9 on Sunday afternoons for all, and for Queensland viewers on Friday night) and having the score revealed by electronic means.  

Leave Manly on Foxsports is my call.  I care not a fig for Channel 9 and their mediocrity.  

I can see why it's bad for the club though.. tough for our sponsors.

[/quote]  Really?  Maybe it's just me but I really don't watch a football game to admire the sponsor slogan on a football jumper.  Off the top of my head I can only name 2 major sponsors of NRL teams.  Pirtek from the Eels, because I hate the Eels and am amused by the phallic connotations of their sponsors (Red Rooster anyone?)  And Steggles and the Roosters, but only because I have had first hand experience of Steggles battery farming practices and would never eat their product after what I witnessed.  

I suspect the Cowboys have Toyota, but am not 100% certain.  Can't name you any other major sponsor and I watch a lot of football.

Really, who here has changed the purchasing habits for the better by seeing a jersey sponsor or watching an advert during the Ch 9 coverage?  Who here has boycotted a product because of it?  

Yeah, I'm struggling with the major sponsors now you mention it.

Pretty sure the Tigers are Proton and the Bulldogs Avatar, the movie.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8